Latest post Sun, Aug 27 2017 11:39 PM by jef. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 14 2017 8:58 PM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,455

How to automatically highlight bin field when logging

A little (but big) thing that is driving me nuts:

I am logging several thousand clips to choose selects.   The workflow is:

1)arrow-select clip in bin

2) Control-enter to open in source window (I"m on a mac)

3) Space bar to play and stop

4) Command-tilde ~ to toggle window to make the bin active again

5) Click in the "scene" column field to make a clip note

6) Enter, to 'set' the comment and go to the next clip, or tab to go to next column to mark it with an x as a select (or esc if something is just selected, to deselect it so I can arrow)

7) Arrow to next clip and repeat 1-6. 

Here's the question.   Step #5 is a major hassle having to do it for each clip, with the mouse.   Can this step somehow be eliminated?  Is there a way to have the fields auto-highlighted in the bin when switching back to it, so I can just tab over to the scene column?  Or to press a key that would highlight it so I don't have to mouse click it?

Tab does not work, and nothing else seems to either.

Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Aug 14 2017 10:01 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

Re: How to automatically highlight bin field when logging

I think step 4 could be 'find bin' then step 5 should be enter (should go into entry mode on name I think) then tab across to your scene column.

Pretty sure that the 'enter' behaviour varies between versions/platforms though.

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 11:01 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,455

AAUGH!  It won't do it on mine. Darn it.

I tried find bin (shift-1 on my system) from the source window, and it does highlight the clip, but enter brings the source window back up. 

Thanks Trevor for your reply though.

note: added 'find bin' to the workflow and it does make things faster even if it doesn't solve the highlight issue. so thx

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 15 2017 1:13 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,455

So at this point, is the consensus that there is no workflow that will auto-highlight those fields or highlight them with the keyboard?

thx

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 3:03 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,370

Try a macro progra, I use keyboard maestro, the others I know of are quick keys and quadro running on an iPad.

its well worth the effort to get around these repeated tasks in the user interface.

in  keyboard maestro you use the coordinates of X and Y on the screen to  click the mouse,  there is a little trick with putting the bin in the same place in the interface and making the bin small so the click is consistently in the right place.

i am happy to send the relevant macro if you try keyboard maestro 

M

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 16 2017 3:18 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,370

If you want to see the power of macros watch this YouTube from Avid supergrouper for multicam grouping using quick keys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MK4FAcF5Kp0

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 16 2017 3:43 AM In reply to

Maybe think about a different way of logging by using Markers.  This works for me.

I keep my source footage in a single bin for each Source.
    Then sort the bin on start time.Put all those clips in a Timeline in this bin and renamed to be identifyable with the Source media,
    With this timeline in either Source or Record monitor scroll through the timelin adding a marker roughly in the middle of and point of interest in each clip.   (Add Marker mapped to my keyboard)
    Add logging info to each Marker in the Comments column and press Enter in the numeric keypad to close marker window.

When all markers are added  Open the Markers window (Open markers mapped to my KB and under both Source and Record monitors.
    Print markers gives me a printed copy of the logged footage.

I can then duplicate this timeline. Open in the Record monitor and cut out of it any parts I do not want. (Selects timeline for this source) Then use this cut down timeline as my source. The TC on all the markers reflect the TC  of the shortened timeline. (Maybe print this timelines Markers out.

Toggling between Source and Record lets me edit from a Source timelines with Markers rather than clips. The marker comments are visible on the clips.  

FWIW mapping Go to Previous and Go to Next marker to the KB lets me rapidly move through a source timeline with the Comments showing as I go.

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 10:43 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

The only way I can get a bin highlighted for entry is to 'create subclip' then return / tab to get to the required clip & column. The idea of having the bin in a fixed position for keyboard maestro to use in a macro would not work for me!

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 1:45 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,216
    • Points 14,725

I second my editor pairs here, it would be great to have two different actions from the keyboard on the Return and the Enter keys.

When you're in highlight mode on a clip name, Return takes you to the next clip name, whereas Enter validates the clip name you typed and selects the clip.

Would be neat to be able to return to Edit The Clip Name by pressing the Return key (or Enter, whichever) directly from a selected clip.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 19 2017 3:31 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,370

TrevorA:

The only way I can get a bin highlighted for entry is to 'create subclip' then return / tab to get to the required clip & column. The idea of having the bin in a fixed position for keyboard maestro to use in a macro would not work for me!

to be clear, the bin does not have to be in a fixed position, but the mouse click is positioned relative to the bin, say 60 pixels from the top of the bin, to target the clip.  

So the macro sequence looks like this: find bin- mouse click.

If you set the bin height small, the find Bin command always highlights  the clip in the same position  in the bin. Then the programmed click will work.

• Sun, Aug 27 2017 9:26 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,455

Hi all, jsut geting back to this project.   I'll test these out.  Thank you!

• Sun, Aug 27 2017 11:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,409
    • Points 41,145

Not sure if this would be any help (not in front of machine), but ...

what if you made a special bin setting with ONLY the column you want to mod.  Then Find in Bin might get you where you want.  

Or not.  Will try tomorrow ....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller