Latest post Tue, Mar 19 2019 7:28 PM by Marc Cebrian. 52 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 9:15 PM In reply to

Re: MC 8.9.1 and Boris RED 5.5 Conflict

Wow, Fazz...I feel your pain. We are using RED 5.6 - which is the last version. We did a clean install a whlie back when we did a clean install of Windows 10. -- I've read in the forums there are some older C++ that need to be removed and installed again (or repaired). If you comb through the forums, other people have given ideas of what to delete to re-install RED fresh. That has worked for us. I hope it works out for you.

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:47 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

It was the same with Boris Blue IIRC. Sold at least as part of Boris Box Set for a couple years after Microsoft ceased supporting required OS, Win XP. 

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 4:20 PM In reply to

This problem persists with MC 2018.12 and I've hit a dead-end with Avid. I'm going to try to pursue through Boris again, though I have fallen into the tech-support-ether with them in the past. They stop responding to my emails. I wish Avid could implement simple Blending Modes like FCP 7 used to have out of the box. Boris still sells RED 5.6 but they stopped developing it two years ago.

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 4:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,295
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marc

Can you send Jon a note in support t Boris and copy me on it please?

Note Marc that although the media elements on the Boris RED main web page indicate that the current version is 5.5, the true current version of Boris RED is 5.6. Ithats what you are using correct?

I can say I highley doubt very much that we will make another update to this product though - RED/FX/Graffiti have been sunset products for several years now with only minor changes to account for OS/host changes that were the cause of issues or problems. Their idea is to bring all users of RED/FX/Graffiti over to Continuum.

Anyway, the Boris RED installer is available at this link :

https://borisfx.com/store/?collection=red-graffiti-fx-final-effects&product=red

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 4 2019 4:38 PM In reply to

Marianna,

I understand it's a "sunset" product...but they STILL sell it. :) -- I've been using 5.6 for some time now and that did not resolve the issue. I worked with the Avid techs for a very long time. Nothing was ever resolved even after multiple BlackBox type of analysis. It's a memory issue with Media Composer and Boris...but not even the engineers would make the connection. Or even suggest a C++ package solution, which is the exact error I gave them when I started this journey years ago. I also wrote Jon last month. I am about to write again with you CC'd in. I got no response.

Thanks, Marc

PS - I may have to resign to the fact this software is broken. Also, if Avid could just get Blending Modes as an effect, I would dump Boris in 5 seconds.

• Mon, Mar 4 2019 4:40 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 17
    • Points 175

Just to add to this, I've been having very similar issues with AvidFX 64  and C++/runtime errors and was thinking RED might have been the solution.  The latest theory is to go back to nVidea drivers but I have yet to get the opportunity to get into the suite. 

I was posting to this thread.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184490.aspx

• Mon, Mar 4 2019 4:52 PM In reply to

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 43
    • Points 390

This is a real disaster! Many of my projects have graphic compositions built through BorisRED(AvidFX). I am not very interested in their effects from BCC, which in most cases are excesses.* But Avid still does not have a smart built-in tool for working with photos. They can neither be crop, nor make masks on them, nor build compositions. If Boris is no longer interested in their product, it would be reasonable to buy it back and inject it into the MC, wouldn’t it? Instead, after many years, we have long-obsolete AvidFX and have nothing more for compositing inside composer, LOL. And now for any composition we have to spend time transferring between Avid and Adobe After Effeсts, with which there are surprises all the time. For example, since the 2014 version there is no support for multiprocessing. And again, there are issues of compatibility, because it is a completely different program. It seems to have to learn Fusion, and there DaVinci Resolve is already asking for a visit ... Good bye Avid?

*Boris FX company collect monotonous solutions, clearing the market by buying competitors. This happened with Sapphire FX and earlier Final Effects Complete, which was also bought from someone and then abandoned. The company does not have a deliberate policy for the industry, and is engaged only in seizing the market. Therefore, we can not hope that they will meet the users.

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, Win10prox64bit, Avid MC on Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 4K, Nvidia Quadro P5000, RAM 64 GB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 19 2019 7:28 PM In reply to

Confirmed the issue persists with MC 2018.12.2.

Page 4 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller