Latest post Tue, Apr 17 2018 8:58 PM by mschneider. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 27 2017 10:12 PM

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

ISIS management console broken in latest chrome update

I have a support case open on this, but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing the following.

ISIS 7500, v4.7.10 system directors.

Since google chrome update v61, I have been unable to connect to the ISIS mangement console in chrome with the following error: "err_ssl_server_cert_bad_format". No bypass option is given and it happens regardless of whether i use the hostname or ip address of the active SD or virtual system director.

firefox is my current workaround, but it has it's own issues with the flash plugin only loading in certain panes and not others.

I've attempted to allow unsigned certs, as well as generating new self-signed certs on both system directors and importing them in my local trusted root store to no effect.

(also just a note - third attempt at submitting this, hopefully no duplicate threads..)

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Sep 28 2017 12:21 PM In reply to

Re: ISIS management console broken in latest chrome update

Are you using a Mac or Windows? This is a known issue with the Mac with no workaround except to turn off encryption to the management console or use Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Sep 28 2017 3:39 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

BobRusso:

Are you using a Mac or Windows? This is a known issue with the Mac with no workaround except to turn off encryption to the management console or use Windows.

Hi Bob,

This is with the latest chrome update for windows 10. Support has advised to use firefox, though I am seeing some odd behavior where certain panes aren't requesting permission to run the flash plugin and therefore aren't clickable. I'll try to whitelist the url and see if that improves. 

The exact version of chrome is: Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

What are the steps to disable encryption on the management console?

Dave

"A very big network"

• Thu, Sep 28 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

Yes, my Chrome just updated and I'm seeing the same issue.

To turn off encryption; in the Mgt Console go to Agent Setting > ssl.disabled and replace the 0 with a 1.

Select the Make changes persistent check box and Update.

• Thu, Sep 28 2017 5:16 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

is there a port number or url change once encryption is disabled? 

Dave

"A very big network"

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 12:29 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

@Bob Russo

still seeing the error in chrome when trying to connect after disabling encryption. I do see a banner about resetting the agent. What is the procedure for this?

Dave

"A very big network"

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 2:20 PM In reply to

NYnutz:

@Bob Russo

still seeing the error in chrome when trying to connect after disabling encryption. I do see a banner about resetting the agent. What is the procedure for this?

Once you make the change to turn off SSL, you'll need to restart the System Director. You will still need to enable flash in Chrome and turn off Ask First or add the domain.

The details on how to set this up are in the Admin Guide on page 141.

I've tested this with the 32-Bit version of Chrome on Windows without issue. There does appear to be issues running Flash on the 64-Bit version of Chrome.

• Mon, Oct 2 2017 7:01 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

after a failover and reboot, i've got this all working on 64bit windows and flash in chrome again. 

Is there a newer supported SSL certificate format that can be imported (pointed to?) on the agent page, or is keeping ssl disabled our best option until we can replace with nexis?

Dave

"A very big network"

• Mon, Oct 2 2017 7:19 PM In reply to

It has to do with how the self-signed certs are generated. If you have to use Chrome, the best option is to keep SSL/TLS disabled. NEXIS doesn’t have this issue.

• Thu, Oct 5 2017 3:14 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,315

copy that, and Thanks for the help with this!

I already have a pile of E4 engines waiting for installation, so hopefully this wont linger.

Dave

"A very big network"

• Fri, Nov 24 2017 11:29 AM In reply to

BobRusso:

It has to do with how the self-signed certs are generated. If you have to use Chrome, the best option is to keep SSL/TLS disabled. NEXIS doesn’t have this issue.

Hi Bob

I have the same issue or a similar issue when I try to connect to the agent page on a new fresh uninstalled Nexis out the box.

The workaround is to use another browser until the software is installed, then you can use the newest Chrome.

Beent

In-Site, Denmark

HP Elitebook 8540W, win7 8GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 26 2017 1:04 AM In reply to

Beent Joergensen:

BobRusso:

Hi Bob

I have the same issue or a similar issue when I try to connect to the agent page on a new fresh uninstalled Nexis out the box.

The workaround is to use another browser until the software is installed, then you can use the newest Chrome.

That sounds correct, the factory image doesn't have the updated certificate.  Next time we update the factory image, that will be changed.

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 7:52 PM In reply to

• mschneider
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • PostWorks, New York
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

Hi Bob,

Forgive my late entry to this topic, but I am also seeing this issue with Chrome. I will try the fix you suggest in your note above, but curious if there has been a larger fix for this on the ISIS side?

System Director: ISIS 5500 version 4.7.11.16275

Chrome: version Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Actually: I just realized that ssl.disabled is already set to "1" but still seeing this problem in Chrome. 

Thank you!

Best,

Matt Schneider - PostWorks New York

Matthew Schneider Director of Technology PostWorks, New York 100 Avenue of the Americas, 10th Floor New York, NY 10013 212.894.4000 (work) 347.672.4192 (cell) mscheider@postworks.com

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 8:33 PM In reply to

My suggestion is to not use Chrome with ISIS and instead use Firefox. This thread covers two different topics, the Self-signed SSL/TLS Cert and Enabling Flash.

The issue you might be running into is enabling Flash. It is getting more difficult with every release to enable flash with Chrome.

There are no plans to update ISIS to fix this.

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 8:37 PM In reply to

Cool.

Firefox it is...

Thank you Bob!

Matt

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller