Latest post Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:47 AM by Job ter Burg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 13 2017 9:13 AM

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 861
    • Points 10,090

Change Audio in Samples

I would like to change audio in the timeline in smaller portions than a frame. 
    This is useful for editing music or to slip the waveform on a specific audio channel to avoid phasing.
    I know there is perf slip for subclips and this new Audio Slip Tool in Source Settings but I find it clumsy and not very useful for this purpose.

I need it directly in my editing timeline and for individual tracks.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 8.6.1, OSX 10.11.5, Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Aja T-Tap [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Fri, Oct 13 2017 9:07 PM In reply to

Re: Change Audio in Samples

Beyond what you've already listed as solutions Avids answer is Protools.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Oct 15 2017 12:32 AM In reply to

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 861
    • Points 10,090

Oh, this was meant for the feature request forum.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 8.6.1, OSX 10.11.5, Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Aja T-Tap [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sun, Oct 15 2017 3:04 AM In reply to

Bloersch:
    Oh, this was meant for the feature request forum.
    Resubmit the request in the feature requests forum. However be aware that this feature has been asked for many times over the last 2 and a half decades.

This thread from 2013 still makes interesting reading. (Sample based audio editing appears in Job's second post.)  

With the formation of the Avid Customer Association this request was prominent in the Products and Solutions Advisory Council.  Very little has been visibly achieved in progressing a workable option for this basic requirement. 

For this 2+ decade end user of  MC and Pro Tools this is very hard to understand.  More than a decade ago it was suggested that replacing MC's audio with a basic Pro Tools audio engine or making the Pro Tools audio engine an optional (paid) extra for MC could be a powerful yet relatively easy solution. 

The idea was dismissed as "too hard".  IMO "Too Hard" was exposed as absurd when Blackmagic's positive "Can do" creative approach solved their NLE's wide array of audio issues by incorporating Fairlight (a long time Pro Tools competitor in audio post) into their Resolve package. From the outside the whole process appeared to have taken less than 12 months.

• Sun, Oct 15 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,027
    • Points 36,760

A few years ago, there was an interview with a gentleman who had been a project manager for MC and had resigned.  He explained some of the limitations placed upon the design team for MC.

High on the list was the fact that a large portion of the client base was large installations in news environments where big changes were not acceptable.  And with the majority of revenue coming from storage sales in that market, NOT MC license fees, the mandate was not to upset that client base.

This was said to be the biggest restriction on development.

So "too hard" can mean many things.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Oct 15 2017 10:38 PM In reply to

jef:
    So "too hard" can mean many things.
    Sure it can. In fact it is the easiest excuse to justify not doing anything you have minimal desire to do. 

jef:
    the client base was large installations in news environments where big changes were not acceptable.
    One could just as easily say that simplifying MC's audio by changing it to Pro Tools sample based audio engine could be almost totally under the hood. (See for example the mainly cosmetic UI changes require with Fairlight being added into Resolves video timeline). IMO doing something similar with Pro Tools audio and MC it would have had far less impact than the last MC menus reshuffles'  and thus having a minimal effect in a news environment for anyone who actually thought about it with a "Can do" approach.

jef:
    And with the majority of revenue coming from storage sales in that market, NOT MC license fees
    IMO another very Red Herring!. If it is a Revenue issue then why would Avid expend so much Developer time on Pro Tools Free and MC free.

Consider that Pro Tools has, for quiet a few years now, been able work directly with MC's audio from MC's Avid MediaFiles folders so Avid storage would not be an issue. For over a decade and a half MC's audio Timeline have been imported into Pro Tools sessions. (initially with a simple free, less than 2MB, OMF program and latterly via AAF)   That is they have the main operability issues solved. 

It was about 2 decades ago that Avid brought DigiDesign (Pro Tools).  Since that time MC and Pro Tools have been the industry standards for Editing and Audio Post. The link between them vital for the studios and documentary makers yet it has been TOO Hard to seemlessly integrate them. WOW a free program that 4 years ago did not have an editor let alone sample based audio editing now has both in its free product. 

jef:
    the mandate was not to upset that client base.

This was said to be the biggest restriction on development.

And I would suggest that this restriction is simply a smoke screen perpetuated by a "too Hard" mentality thriving somewhere in the Corporate / Managerial ranks. 

• Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:47 AM In reply to

...22 years...

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller