Latest post Fri, Oct 20 2017 11:58 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:13 AM

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,290

Why Won't MC relink...?

Hi, folks. Another puzzling question (puzzling to me, at least)…

Using Media Composer 8.7.2. Project is a guy talking to a group of people and presenting PowerPoints – so I will bring up the PPT as he’s discussing it… Had issues earlier with lots of media on the Timeline disappearing (the dreaded “Media Offline” message) but realized I had switched drive letters – changing back found most of the media except –

Now on my Timeline every single PPT slide is red with “Media Offline.” I have never had any luck with Relinking but tried it anyway to no result. I relinked (File->Input-> Source Browser) all the files with no luck. I tried importing (File->Input->Import Media) and the files appear in my bin and preview window but the Timeline remains red with no media…?

I am certain I am using the correct original media in these attempts to relink/import. Any ideas how I can get these media clips to reappear on my project timeline? There are around a hundred of them (all with moves and effects), so it’d help to get them back – but worst case I can lay them back in from scratch…

Thanks for any ideas.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 17 2017 1:52 AM In reply to

Re: Why Won't MC relink...?

First I would try to opening a new bin. Then Link to the ppt files in the same way you originally did.  If lucky your original linked files will magically pop up as being online and your timeline will refresh. 

If that does not work I would import the files and manually replace the offline linked clips by:
    Stepping into each offline clip till you are see a layer with the linked clip below all effects and moves. 
    Then overwrite edit the new imported media over the original linked media.
    Step Out to the top layer and you will have the new imported clip with all the original effects and moved applied.  There will probably will be an issue with this method if you have used Pan and Zoom effect.  Those may need to be tackles differently.

As always I would recommend saving a couple of copies of your current timeline to a new bin before attempting either method suggested above.

• Fri, Oct 20 2017 11:57 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,290

Andrew:

Sorry I haven't replied - I did not get any e-mail indicating you'd commented. Will give your suggestions a run and get back - thanks again, as always!

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 20 2017 11:58 PM In reply to

No problem.... Good Luck!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller