Latest post Sat, Jan 6 2018 5:11 AM by SR555. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:51 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

question about center keep size

You have a 720p project.  You switch the format to 30i.  You AMA a 720x480 clip, and put it on center keep size.  Shouldn't it fill the screen rather than being in the middle covering only about a quarter of the screen? 

It also won't refresh in the timeline.  So if you switch the clip to pillarbox, refresh (so you know it's working) then put it on center crop and refresh, it stays on pillarbox in the sequence.

I'm not sure if it's working wrong or there is another factor I'm missing.  Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:40 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Re: question about center keep size

Bump  - happy new year to all of you.  Anyone around?

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 4:41 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 38,850

Confused by your details.

A 720p project would mean to me 1280x720 square pixel.

30i is a frame rate, not a raster dimension, so I am not sure what you meant there.

720x480 is a SD (DV format) .90 (or .91) pixel aspect format.

So, bringing that 720x480 clip into a 720p project WOULD show what you describe.

By the way if this 720x480 clip was created in an Adobe tool, you will have a hard time getting optimum quality when bringing into a HD square pixel project in Avid as these two companies disagree about the pixel aspect of SD material.  Just an aside.

Hope that gives you some info to figure out your situation.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Jan 1 2018 6:15 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thanks

The clip came from a DVD and was pulled from a VOB file, now a motion jpeg.  The other clip is an m4v (634x478) that I'm not sure what it was created in.

Brought in by AMA, edited, not practical to import in this case as they are very long.  Also not practical to redo the project.

I'm having a terrible time getting even acceptable quality from these. First I thought that AMA would connect back to the high quality files, I would make adjustments and export it out full quality.  That doesn't seem to be working.

Then I wanted to export out the SD Avid 1:1 as recommended on some threads and then ama that back in and put it in the 16x9 project. Hence changing the project format to 30i and the dimensions to 720x480.  Which seems like center keep size should then, instead of stretching or otherwise adjusting it,  fill the screen at original size, but it doesn't.  It's much smaller.

No matter what I do - adjusting aspect in reformat, exporting out, whatever, they are terrible quality compared to the source file.  On top of that, some are interlaced.

The source files are also very long compared to the material used in the project so it would be not practical to up res them in another program.

The project is 720p  16x9 in the format tab.  I am not sure how to proceed and have been trying to solve this for some time, so if someone could point me on the right path I would greatly appreciate it. I have read everything I can, run a multitude of tests and am still not sure how to fix it.  Thank you

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 3:41 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,842
    • Points 24,110

Just a thought here, but if you have BCC, under the image tab there is an upres filter.  If you apply in and resize the clip, then select "Magic Sharp" in the quality drop down, you might be able to salvage the clips.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:21 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thanks I do have that elsewhere on my system, but not for Avid.   Have never used it but maybe I can export up res that outside of Avid, then bring it back in. 

Which brings us back to the original question.  If I export from the timeline (the clips are AMA'd and edited), how can I get a good 1:1 quality out of there, full screen, without cropping out part of the image, stretching or letterbox?  I thought 'center keep size' would do it, but even when the project dimensions are changed to 720x480, it only is a small box in the middle of the screen.  

The 1:1 exports out of avid are blurry, when compared to the original.

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 2:12 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 38,850

Try the following settings:

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 7:13 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Hello Jef,

Sorry I got called away for a while. 

Ok so I didn't have all those settings but did put it at 4x3 letterbox keeping the aspect close to 90.  Exported same as source and the quality was comparable to the original.  Getting better results. I am doing some export tests with various settings to remove the letterbox on export and will report back. Thank you so much!

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 5:11 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Just following up.  Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am getting much better results now.   Although it does seem to stretch the picture very slightly when exporting any other way than letterboxed in a 16x9 project.

I realized through this the need to study up (again) on pixel aspect ratios, so I spent a full morning doing that and it helped a lot to get clearer on what the issues were.   Your post really helped a lot to move this project along. 

Now I'm having a terrible time with interlacing issues, but am going to post that in a separate thread.   Maybe I'll see you in taht thread.

Cheers  =)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller