Latest post Tue, Jan 9 2018 12:35 AM by jwrl. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:00 AM

Mainstream CPU Intel Four Core or Six Core

Now that Intel is pushing the new Six  Core Processor line, is there any advantage in going for say the i5 8400 Six Core for a new intermediate requirement build for the current Media Composer Ver.xxx .

In other words is there any advantage in high core counts ..  or if cost is a consideration is there more to be gained with high end graphics ...

• Mon, Jan 1 2018 6:53 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,278
    • Points 61,920

Re: Mainstream CPU Intel Four Core or Six Core

Is this going to be an MC only box, or You're planning to run other software?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 1 2018 11:50 PM In reply to

Hi Luca 

Just musing over say - Windows 10 and Intel i5 8400 on a Z370 mid range board and mid range Graphic Card maybe GeForce GTX 1060 ..

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:03 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

Rinso Video:

Hi Luca 

Just musing over say - Windows 10 and Intel i5 8400 on a Z370 mid range board and mid range Graphic Card maybe GeForce GTX 1060 ..

just for MC or do you intend to run other software such as CC or Resolve?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.5 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D-E... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:55 AM In reply to

Hello Steve 

(quote)just for MC or do you intend to run other software such as CC or Resolve?(unquote)

Running current MC.XXXX , Sorenson Squeeze Desktop 10 Pro , Photoshop ,Lightroom, ProShow Gold, current Pinnacle , NewBlue Titler 2 etc etc ...

Current machine is i5 4670 runnung at 3.4GHz 16 GB  Ram Windows 10 and so - forth ..

NewBlue Titler 2 is OK, NewBlue Titler 4 with all the bells and whistles crashes it, if I really need it which is not often the stand-alone version then import into Media Composer works , (the integrated Media Composer version of NB 4 crashes it )

I tried resolve but had trouble getting my head around it don't really have a need anyway .

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:13 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

I think the general concensus with MC alone is that it fares better with higher core speed than number of cores, however, if you are running other applications (such as Sorenson) at the same time or making use of MC's background transcoding and rendering you may find that more cores is better.

You asked if you should go for 4 cores or 6. If the choice were 4 cores at 4.5 GHz versus 6 cores at 3.0 GHz then MC will probably fare better with the 4-core option (all else being equal).

I'm not sure if this is still the concensus, particularly now that MC uses background transcoding/rendering which can take advantage of the other cores. Maybe someone else on this forum has real-world experience with the tradeoff you are trying to evaluate.

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.5 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D-E... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 12:38 AM In reply to

Appreciated and a good year to all from down under Geeked

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 2:18 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,299
    • Points 53,185

Steve, when you and I started, the boards were filled with tech guys that loved to tinker with hardware, assembling PCs swapping hardware. As time has passed, that resource has diminished.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 4:13 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

TVJohn:

Steve, when you and I started, the boards were filled with tech guys that loved to tinker with hardware, assembling PCs swapping hardware. As time has passed, that resource has diminished.

You are absolutely right! At the risk of sounding old, those were the good 'ole days Stick out tongue

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 5:20 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

TVJohn:

You are absolutely right! At the risk of sounding old, those were the good 'ole days Stick out tongue

Or the bad old days depending on how much of your life got swallowed up with "tinkering"

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 5:55 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

Pat Horridge:

Or the bad old days depending on how much of your life got swallowed up with "tinkering"

I wasn't thinking about the tinkering itself as 'good' - just reminiscing about the number of engaged editors who used to frequent this forum - many of whom have moved on or are simply too busy (hopefully editing) to stop by. 

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jan 7 2018 4:45 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,278
    • Points 61,920

From the Meridien days on, I've always been on self built boxes, after quite a bit of my life got swallowed by tinkering with Avid turnkey systems. No tinkering is required if You stick to the Quadro cards. 

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 12:10 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,350
    • Points 96,600

BarkinMadd:
    just reminiscing about the number of engaged editors who used to frequent this forum - many of whom have moved on or are simply too busy (hopefully editing) to stop by.

Or who have simply retired, like me.  I still maintain an Avid license for the occasional fix up, although I don't know how much longer that will last.  I also have moderator duties on another edit forum, so at the moment I'm tossing up whether I should build what will be my final edit system.  If I do it will most likely be a bleeding edge dual boot Linux/Windows system, so I have been looking at the current Intel processors with great interest.  No decision yet though.

Time was when the Videoguys DIY projects were my "go to" for this sort of information.  They seem to have lost interest in doing those though.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 1:12 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,330

Still building here.  The current system is dual Xeon as per my specs.  We moved to i7 3 years ago from Xeon as, at the time, Avid wasn't hitting all the cores.  That seems to have changed and we rebuilt last year as per below.  So the i7 had the shortest "online" life span.  When transcoding on 8.9+ I see almost every physical and hyperthread Xeon core working away at about 60%.  Seems limited by disk IO now.

Generally speaking, I would recommend Xeons.  We have built 3x Xeon systems and 1x i7 system for Avid specifically over the years - the Xeons are just so stable.  Always based on the equivalent HP system so we had confidence it would "play nice" with Avid.  Perhaps less critical now.  It's not that the i7 was flakey, just that the Xeons were better.  Further, the Xeons continued working as office systems in other roles after their front line duty with Avid ended, still rock solid 10+ years on.  Quality of server grade mobos, ram, HDDs PSU etc, they are just good machines and pay off the initial investment comfortably.

With the migration slowly away from Avid we would stick to the current build specs except, in the future, would probably ditch Quadro in favour of GTX cards as they fly inside the Adobe ecosystem.  Windows 10 still bothers me - 2 office machines (not Avid) are on it and its insistence on doing updates (even switching those registry keys doesn't always seem to stop it) really bothers me.  And Win 10 seems to have a "client sensor" and insists on "installing updates... please wait..." while clients are sitting with me... urrrrrrr :/

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 12:35 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,350
    • Points 96,600

carlgmi:
    Win 10 seems to have a "client sensor" and insists on "installing updates... please wait..." while clients are sitting with me.
    Tell me about it!  That's why I used to keep all my edit systems off-line and rely on dongles.  It's not so easy with the App manager though...

Everything seems to want to phone home these days.  Personally, I blame Speilberg.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller