Latest post Fri, Mar 9 2018 6:35 PM by dannybelitz. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 23 2018 3:16 AM

Crash on startup

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but will try to supply the info needed. I have a MacBook Pro 8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011) running High Sierra (10.13.2). Processor is 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. I've installed the latest version of Media Composer | First (2018.1). When I try to start it up, it gets as far as the splash screen saying "Initializing Settings," and then I get a pop-up that says:

"The application Avid Media Composer First has quit unexpectedly. The system and other applications have not been affected. A report has been created that you can send to Avid to help identify the problem. Please help us fix the problem by describing what happened before the crash."

I've attempted to start it several times, always with the same result. Sometimes I've pressed the "Send to Avid" button to report the problem, and a couple times I've saved the crash log to my desktop. The crash log is mostly gibberish to me. I can post some or all of the contents if it would help.

Any assistance you can give me to fix this so the program starts up would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011) High Sierra (10.13.2) Processor is 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB memory Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB 500 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 23 2018 3:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,056
    • Points 203,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Crash on startup

Christopher.....

did you look at the specifications for MC First

Computer: Avid-qualified Mac-based computer
    OS: Mac OS X High Sierra (10.13), Sierra (10.12), El Capitan (10.11), Yosemite (10.10)

Processor:   Intel quad-core i7 or Intel Quad Core Xeon (with Turbo boost – 8 virtual CPU cores).  the i5 IMO is the issue.

Memory:8 GB RAM minimum  ----  16+ GB RAM minimum required to support Media Composer | Cloud, background transcoding/render, Dynamic Media Folders, full-frame stereoscopic 3D, FrameFlex 4K workflows, Raw format AMA plug-ins, Long GOP media editing, and other high- performance workflows

RAM listed is what Avid tested as part of the qualification process. Adding more memory is supported as long as it adheres to the manufacturer’s recommendation

Graphics card1:NVIDIA GeForce family, Intel HD4000/5000, ATI Radeon or AMD Radeon Pro o Graphics and driver must be supported by Apple

Internal hard driveMinimum 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA drive or 256 GB SSD 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:28 AM In reply to

I think you're right. I missed the processor spec. Thanks for your help--sorry about the rookie mistake. Embarrassed

MacBook Pro 8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011) High Sierra (10.13.2) Processor is 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB memory Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB 500 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 9 2018 6:35 PM In reply to

Is there any way to downgrade? Is there any version that runs on the i5 processor? How did you fix the issue?

Many thanks!

Gabriel

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller