Latest post Thu, Feb 8 2018 7:19 PM by tommix. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 28 2018 2:49 AM

• Steve c
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 28 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 65

Re: 6 months of hell.... AVID sucks.....

I feel your pain.

Sorry guys about to have a rant. 

Ive been an editor for a number of years now and was looking to update to a new editing system so was looking around to see what they was on offer.

Just purchased a new i mac so needed to update from my old one wich will no lomger runs FCP7. 

I have to be bruatly honest. Ive tried the free stuff and some are ok and some are total crap.

Unfortunatly this free version is bad. very bead. Its full of bugs and is not a good advertisment for the full version and at  1099 if feel i would be wasting my money. Even Davinci Resolve works, slowley maybe but it kinda works. Advid First however dose not. I have a top spec i mac machine and this software even the watered down verson, takes too long to load. When it doese it crashes as soon as you add a clip to the timeline. 

Dont get it Avid as been around for years and had, HAD, a good reputation, this version just ruined that once good reputation.

Very disapointed as i was in a position to purchase the full licence. Not now. Ive uninstalled it.

Sorry dont see the point in messing around trying to get it to work.

No sale.

Im gunna stick with Final Cut Pro X and Adobe. 

Avid Composer First really dose SUCK.

• Sun, Jan 28 2018 7:26 AM In reply to

Hi Steve c,

I moved your post from the Xpress Pro forum to the Media Composer | First forum. Hard to say what the problem might have been without knowing more about your system specifications, but it sounds like you're leaving anyway.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 28 2018 11:37 AM In reply to

Just purchased a new iMac. Does it have an OS supported for this version of MC First? If not then yes you will have issues.

Running on supported OS and its ok. I wouldn't use it in a Pro environment. Thats not what its designed for. Social media uploads. Students wanting to get a feel. Paying clients not for me. Thats what the regualr MC is for. Which you cna try for 30 days free of charge of course.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jan 28 2018 12:03 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 349
    • Points 4,610

why try the free version when you can try the full version with 30 day trial?

You seems to be a "Pro". The free version is for beginners.

And for last; -AVID ROCKS!

• Sun, Jan 28 2018 12:28 PM In reply to

Steve c:

I feel your pain.

Sorry guys about to have a rant. 

Ive been an editor for a number of years now and was looking to update to a new editing system so was looking around to see what they was on offer.

Just purchased a new i mac so needed to update from my old one wich will no lomger runs FCP7. 

I have to be bruatly honest. Ive tried the free stuff and some are ok and some are total crap.

Unfortunatly this free version is bad. very bead. Its full of bugs and is not a good advertisment for the full version and at  1099 if feel i would be wasting my money. Even Davinci Resolve works, slowley maybe but it kinda works. Advid First however dose not. I have a top spec i mac machine and this software even the watered down verson, takes too long to load. When it doese it crashes as soon as you add a clip to the timeline. 

Dont get it Avid as been around for years and had, HAD, a good reputation, this version just ruined that once good reputation.

Very disapointed as i was in a position to purchase the full licence. Not now. Ive uninstalled it.

Sorry dont see the point in messing around trying to get it to work.

No sale.

Im gunna stick with Final Cut Pro X and Adobe. 

Avid Composer First really dose SUCK.

Next time ask for help sooner?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 29 2018 2:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,508
    • Points 209,170
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Steve c.

Media Compsoer First is derived from Medi Composer....  being a long time editor then you know the best way to help you is to first provide ALL of your system specifications.  In troubleshooting MC First - 95% of the issues I have seen have been caused by systems that dont meet qualifications or have added hardware or software that conflicts....

What is your exact configuration - whihc yuo shoud add to your profile BTW.

We cant help you if you ont help us with exact information to assist you....

Standing by if you want to get it working...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 8 2018 7:19 PM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 182
    • Points 2,290

YOU, not MCF, have a problem.

First, you cannot spell so I have to wonder about your skills doing anything. Skills like checking the OS version of your new iMac -- not "i mac" -- and the version Avid has approved.

Second, why do you think MCF is different than MC? For the majority of functions it's not. Do you really think Avid--not Advid -- wrote a version that's crap so they could give it away?

Third, after almost a year with MCF, I'm neither having crashes nor have I enountered anything that doesn't work--except the one or two I've posted here. So don't--not dont--blame Avid for your problems. And, my MCF Introduction manual documents the workarounds for these bugs.

One thing that may be different -- I use an OS that's been designed for business. Every year Apple pushes-out a bug filled OS that takes about 5 version releases to get working. When you buy a new Mac you are forced to take whatever OS Apple has released. I'm running Windows 10 Creative HOME. Invisible automatic backups. Flawless operation.

By the way, Resolve also works great too. But, you do have to know how to use it.

And, Premiere? Runs much faster under Windows.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller