Latest post Mon, Jan 29 2018 12:09 PM by SR555. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 29 2018 4:16 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Avid's been scanning and indexing for 5 hours on ama relink, is this normal?

So... note to self..my brilliant idea to move all the clips on the drive to be relinked in one folder, in order to make batch relinking easier... was not a good idea.  Should have left well enough alone.  Ok. Lesson learned.

However, it's had a dialog window up scanning and indexing for five hours.  Is this normal? It will say batch processing a file, then relking, then scanning,  then Indexing/users/shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Management/AMA Metadata Folders/Media File 78a0673/...  (It stays on this file 78a0673 even though everything else changes).  They also don't appear to be going in numeric order, if that matters.

It does appear to be moving through the files - not stuck - although it's hard to say if after five hours the files are repeating.  

There are several hundred source files.

Extra information, the project was all relinked except for about three files,  and it crashed on a segmentation fault in Main Thread 0x0.  It would not reopen even after starting the computer.  So I deleted the msmMMOB.mdb and msmFMID.pmr files and relaunched it as recommended.  Also opened a new project just to test that Avid was booting properly otherwise.  Closed out of that, then took my media files drive offline, opened the problem project, and saved it while offline. Then closed out, plugged the drive back in, and started the relink.

Five hours ago.   Thx

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 29 2018 4:56 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Re: Avid's been scanning and indexing for 5 hours on ama relink, is this normal?

Never mind, it stopped so hopefully things are resolved.

Update:

Project was still offline and when I went to close out and it did the segmentation thread again.  

Now it won't open again, segmentation fault. Crashes on boot. Argh.  WTF?  Why?  These are the SAME files as before.

I guess I'll put them all back in their original folders and start over.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 29 2018 6:28 AM In reply to

Re: Avid's been scanning and indexing for 5 hours on ama relink, is this normal?

I would try opening a new project with the same settings as your failed one. Then AMA link to all the files in the single new folder you moved them to.
    Assuming this works with the new Project open I would use the Open Bin option and navigate to you failed project and select a bin from there that contained some of the failed Linked media. 
    If you are lucky that Linked media will come online automatically.

If that works you could close MC.  Go to your Avid projects folder. Open the the original Projects folder.  Then open the new Projects folder.  In the old projects folder select and copy all bins you need to carry on workings with ( "Bin name".avb ) and copy them.
    Paste these copies into the new project. 

Open MC and the new project.  Again with luck all your linked media will be on line as well as any sequences and imported / transcoded media.

Good luck.

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 12:09 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Seemed to AMA ok, but when closing out it gave this error:

Exception: MDB, MDB FILE IS MISSING. An error occurred cleaning/users/shared/avidmediacomposer/AMA management/AMA metadata folders/MediaFile78a06073/ You may want to delete database on this drive.

There's that folder again.  

update: I renamed the folder "old" to get rid of all the files as well as the database, made a new folder with the original name, and so far so good.  Copied the bins into the project as directed, and it opened.  The media is there and the sequence is linked.   

This is maybe a blessing in disguise, as the old project had become a tangled mess of bins. So this one is much leaner and cleaner. Hopefully faster, too. 

Is this a good idea to do in future AMA projects?  If you have a massive number of ingest bins and old project bins,the project has become sluggish, and you have subclipped and built your final sequence? Is it then a good idea to move the final material into a new project?  

Thank you I'm so relieved.  The project was in its final steps.

Update: it's exporting a QT movie now that can be a base backup no matter what else happens.   So far so good.  Thanks again  =)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller