Latest post Mon, Feb 5 2018 11:33 PM by DStone. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 5 2018 12:03 AM

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 4 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Importing PNG Sequence (Alpha) takes a longer than expected

Hi, 

I'm trying to import PNG Sequences (with alpha) produced from AE. There are about 7,000 of them or roughly 4 mins of footage. It takes a longer than expected about at least 15 mins. And another 15 mins to create an alpha detail or something like that.

At first, I thought it was because of the "Importin" option. (It would be nice if it was aptly name as transcode/convert/import). I tried using linking option but it takes still at 15 mins. 

By comparison, importing it in Premiere takes no time. I just import and it reads fine. In the same computer. 

So, I'm wondering is there a definite settings for PNG Sequence that would make it closer to run like premiere. 

Most of my files are PNG/image sequences coming from Maya, C4D and AE and as such this waiting time for me is really a bottle neck. 

Thank you for your consideration.

P.S. I took it back. It took two hours and it still not finished (around 5,000 frames mark). I had to stop at it as during that time, it is choking my computer on an SSD. There is some sort of metadata happening and utilizing all the disk usage up to 100%. 

Not sure what that is.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Feb 5 2018 1:09 AM In reply to

Re: Importing PNG Sequence (Alpha) takes a longer than expected

What is your project format, and what are your import settings?

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 1:38 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

I had the project format at 1080p 24fps. 
    The import (or is it also link?) settings is at default except that I had set it to "Not resize smaller images". 

I had also a chance to try Media Composer at one point. I guess it was 8.3 or 8.4 and I had the same issue (i.e. long import time on PNG sequences). 

Do you have any idea on the culprit? 

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:26 AM In reply to

What is the pixel resolution or of your png's?  ( xxx pixels by yyy pixels)

Have you tried using either Resize to fit format raster of Image sized to current format?

Guessing here MC maybe bogging down with sizing issues with Image and alpha mask. 

If the image is smaller (like a logo) and has Photoshop transparency around it I have found in the past importing and positioning the image into a transparent background Photoshop image set up to  1920 by 1080px and saving worked for me. Just to be safe I would add 1 one pixel dot in two diagonally opposite corners guaranteed me the correct size and placement.

If this works for you with one image then you can create a Photoshop Action to automatically pepeat the process and save as  for the 5000 (+?) images. 

Also as your project is Progressive make sure Photoshop is not saving an interlace image.

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:27 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Yea, it has something to do with PNG Sequence (Alpha). 
    I just link (as import) several videos and it functions as expected. I was able to use them immediately. 

Any thoughts?

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:33 AM In reply to

bentraje:
    Any thoughts?

AndrewAction:

What is the pixel resolution or of your png's?  ( xxx pixels by yyy pixels)

Have you tried using either Resize to fit format raster of Image sized to current format?

Guessing here MC maybe bogging down with sizing issues with Image and alpha mask. 

This is what I'd be looking at, too.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:36 AM In reply to

I would import them rather than Linking to them.  

Did you look at my questions and suggestions?

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:46 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

@Andrew

Sorry I was not able to see your notes on my recent response.
    The pixel resolution is 72 dpi. 
    The dimension is 1920 x 1080. 

So resizing seems to be a non-issue. 

@Andrew and @camoscato. 

It turns out linking does not have "automatically detect image sequence". As oppose to import option. Nor does it have "Detect image sequence" at all. 

So the 5,000 images earlier ended up as 5,000 separate images rather than a sequence. 

RE: importing rather than linking. 
    I'm fine with that but it would be nice if it "transcode" the media after I imported it (i,e, at the background) rather than while importing it. 

At 15 minutes, I can already finish a rough cut. 

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 2:55 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Or is possible to not transcode at all. And read it directly from the disk? 
    I think my machine can handle it. (i7 6600k 24GB Ram). My basis is that I have no problem in Premeire (which correct me if I'm wrong, does not transcode and just read it from the disk). 

I mean premiere caches frames but it does not transcode it to another format. 

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 3:05 AM In reply to

bentraje:
    I had set it to "Not resize smaller images". 
    As your images are already 1920 by 1080 the correct setting for this is Image sized for current format. 

If the image has an alpha channel MC imports the image and then the Alpha channel. This has always been the way MC does it.  FWIW I gave up being frustrated with it more than 2 decades ago. 

Edit add. I import because I have the option to autodect sequentially numbered files if I need it.
    Also assuming they are individual frames I can easily Batch Re-Import just the ones I need when something changes.  My timeline automatically updates after a Re-Import.

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 3:28 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Thanks for the nugget: MC imports the image and then the Alpha channel

So that figures the separate import process.

Also to reiterate, 
    (1) No image sequence option on Linking option. Correct me if I'm wrong

(2) There is no way to read directly from the disk. You have to transcode it for MC to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(3) There is no way to transcode after the import. It must be during import. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

In addition this is what bothers me:
    "Also assuming they are individual frames I can easily Batch Re-Import just the ones I need when something changes." 

So if there is some changes 

(1) You have to reimport the frames. (Takes time considering you have to figure out what frames that changed)

(2) It has to transcode again. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Our current workflow in Premiere by passes that. Basically, when something changes, we just overwrite the file. And the Premiere takes care of it. No input from us. It does this on the background. 

Or can Avid has an alternative better method? 

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 4:29 AM In reply to

bentraje:
    Also to reiterate

1: Correct no image sequence with linking.
    2: If you link you need to select all the files.
    3: Importing just imports. You get an Avid media file (Encodes to Avid format during the import.)

bentraje:
    So if there is some changes.....  you have to figure out what frames that changed
    IF in a sequential import clip 

1: With the clip in your source monitor you can set the Source timecode to display frames. this will give you the frame number you park the timeline position indicator (blue line) over.
    2: It imports that frame as Avid media and you can replace just that frame in your timeline.

bentraje:
    Or can Avid has an alternative better method?
    No

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 4:37 AM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Thanks for the response again. 
    Just want to simpfliy on your answer just in case someone stumbles along

Also to reiterate

1) Correct

2) Correct

3) Correct 

So if there is some changes

4) Correct 

5) Correct. (Transcode again but pertaining only to the changed frames not the whole image sequence) 

Thank you for the direct replies. 

I understand that a lot of films have been edited in the MC (which is why I'm trying it) but I don't really see it being used in VFX/Motion Graphics Pipeline where there are a lot of image sequence and those image sequence there are a lot of revisions. 

I guess MC comes in when all of the stuff have been rendered out. 

Thanks again. 

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 3:42 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,459
    • Points 44,560
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Go to the Source Browser and select Import and not Link. Click on the gear icon next to it. In the Image tab, make sure AutoDetect Sequentially Numbered Files is checked. If you don't need the alpha channel, select Ignore. Change the other settings as necessary. See if that helps.

Bear in mind that when you import, you are actually creating a DNxHD (or DNxHR) clip, and that takes time.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Feb 5 2018 5:13 PM In reply to

• bentraje
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

Hi DStone

Thanks for the response. But this has been addressed previously and it falls short to what I need

(1) Using import takes time. Not only it takes time but it takes twice the amount if you have alpha which you have. (In comparison, Premiere just lets you edit on the fly. It just creates a scratch disk). Don't get me wrong I understand the essence of creating a native format. I just hope it does so in the background and not during my import, which makes MC unusable during that time. 
    (2) As discussed above, another deal breaker in choosing import (since linking for image sequence is a not possible) 
    is when you revised the part of the image sequence. You need to rerender again the native format. Okay I get that. But to identify what frames change every now and then is just a hassle. 

I think there is a feature in MC like quicktime live link. It would be nice for something like that but for image sequence.  

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller