Latest post Mon, Mar 26 2018 4:01 PM by Marianna. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 11 2018 6:04 AM

(SOLVED) Newly purchased Avid artist series (Mix, Color, Transport) with lots of issues

We are facing hardware challenges with newly purchased Avid artist series controllers (Mix, Color, Transport)  for the third editing desk in the second level production offices.

We are usually known for solving hardware issues and for handling hardware extraordinary careful and advocating for carfeful handling all the day to the team. Destressed cable-conncetions, soft equipment moving, double careful packaging, no hard pushes and smart handling while installing (taking care about what your hands are doing and how hard they press, etc), etc. But with no avail for this new but kind of broken hardware...

After some simple tests (turn ON/OFF, system recognition etc) we put the controllers back into their customary packing and locked them in the technique safe until the editing room is ready (was still under construction). It took more time than expected and after a year we unboxed the controllers again for the final editing room, but with some big surprises:

1.) The Artist Mix turned on only 2 times. Now it won't turn off no more and it is freezed. After first installation we had to turn it OFF and unplug the power cord to move it carefully on the desk a little bit to the left. And to make sure that no cable gets stressed we pull all cables off for the move of course. Then we wanted to reconnect the power cable and were puzzled about that the device turned ON already by only connecting the power cable even before we pressed the ON button. So, if the power cable is connected, the device is ON already and is doing nothing. The Eucon management tool does not find it and it only shoes the AVID screen on each track.

2.) The Artist Transport seems to turn OFF sometimes without warning and I have to turn it ON 2, 3 times until it keeps being on. Additionally the shuttle ring seems to do nothing and can not be programmed to make any sense. (Update: sometimes it won't turn OFF no more)

Are these issues fixable by ourself to make these controllers work at least minimum stable? Or do we need to send them to AVID now? Even if newly purchased? Since we purchased them already some time ago from now, we possibly will have trouble to get warranty support and we can't give the hardware back to the dealer after a year now.

(Edited by mrsglr_post: shortened and de-escalated the issue report a little bit for later archiving and better understanding.)

• Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Newly purchased Avid artist series (Mix, Color, Transport) with lots of issues

Let me get on this for you and see what we can do to fix this......

I will email you directly...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 13 2018 8:44 AM In reply to

Re: Newly purchased Avid artist series (Mix, Color, Transport) with lots of issues

Marianna:

Let me get on this for you and see what we can do to fix this......

I will email you directly...

Marianna

Thank you Marianna. Very much appreciated. We would love to hear from you. How do we get in contact? There is nNo message in my mail account yet so far. Greetings from Berlin.

• Tue, Feb 13 2018 4:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Email me directly

Need your My Avid email

Unit serial

where you bought it

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 15 2018 12:47 PM In reply to

Thanks for your support Marianna. We recieved an email from the avid support mail account with a request to send a purchase receipt as a proof of purchase. We did it yesterday and wait for response. We put you in CC.

• Thu, Feb 15 2018 2:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Happy to help out.... keep me posted please!

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:55 PM In reply to

No respone until now ... [Case : 03402775]

• Fri, Feb 16 2018 4:36 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,280

Sorry to hear of your troubles - Euphonix gear an acquired taste. There is much experience, especially with connectivity, on forums, mostly audio, although the protocols are the same. Artist Mix severely limited with MC for some reason, but it can be useful and is better than mousing it. I have an Artist Color patched into Baselight for Avid. It is an exquisite combination, but I hear many compalints about the interface with Symphony CC, which seems odd. There are no lags or interface issues at all with Baselight, and I was surprised to see Color headed for EOL. Can't imagine corrections without a panel. Good luck - once you get the connectivity under control things should be a lot easier. Don't know anything about Transport.

Dell T3600T 12 Cores 3.5 ghz Intel 32GRAM K4200 Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 16 2018 5:25 PM In reply to

rodpaul:

Sorry to hear of your troubles - Euphonix gear an acquired taste. There is much experience, especially with connectivity, on forums, mostly audio, although the protocols are the same. Artist Mix severely limited with MC for some reason, but it can be useful and is better than mousing it. I have an Artist Color patched into Baselight for Avid. It is an exquisite combination, but I hear many compalints about the interface with Symphony CC, which seems odd. There are no lags or interface issues at all with Baselight, and I was surprised to see Color headed for EOL. Can't imagine corrections without a panel. Good luck - once you get the connectivity under control things should be a lot easier. Don't know anything about Transport.

Thanks for your insides, rodpaul. Very kind of you to chime in with your thougths on this. But we are not satisfied at the moment in the studios here at all. Nevertheless, Our previous comment was rather regarding the open unanswered ticket and the obvious powering hardware failure of a newly purchased product, which is not acceptable for a one thousand Euro controller. Sadly the certified local dealer is not responding, which is already quite dubios if you ask me, and if the dealer keeps being silent on this, we will surely warn our industry partners here in Germany (TV,Music,Film) and willl black-list this shop. We will report back here when it becomes 100% sure.

And until now, I only have a purchase proof request (already answered), and a take over info mail from an Avid support center "investigating" the case. We are quite curious where this goes ...

• Wed, Feb 21 2018 2:04 PM In reply to

(long text deleted)

As we noted here: we remove this post since the Avid Customer Care (Support) has contacted us with new informations.

• Wed, Feb 21 2018 3:44 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,455
    • Points 44,530
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I think a big question is what are the consumer protection laws in your country? Here in the US, protection laws are generally at the state level (and where I live there are very good consumer protection laws). The issue is the warranty is a kind of implied contract. If it says the warranty is for 1 year, then it's 1 year (where I live one can actually argue it's 1 year from date of delivery and not date of purchase).

Here's where things get interesting for those of you in the European Union. There is actually an implied 2-year guarantee under EU directive 1999/44/EC. To quote part of it:

"A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

It's possible for a EU state to not have implemented this directive (it was implemented in the UK; at least until Brexit happens). So check to see if it's being enforced where you live. You are required to show that the fault is inherent in Artist box (part of the directive) and that it wasn't abused in any fashion. All things considered, you may actually have a required warranty repair. Just check on that directive.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Feb 23 2018 12:16 PM In reply to

DStone:

I think a big question is what are the consumer protection laws in your country? Here in the US, protection laws are generally at the state level (and where I live there are very good consumer protection laws). The issue is the warranty is a kind of implied contract. If it says the warranty is for 1 year, then it's 1 year (where I live one can actually argue it's 1 year from date of delivery and not date of purchase).

Here's where things get interesting for those of you in the European Union. There is actually an implied 2-year guarantee under EU directive 1999/44/EC. To quote part of it:

"A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

It's possible for a EU state to not have implemented this directive (it was implemented in the UK; at least until Brexit happens). So check to see if it's being enforced where you live. You are required to show that the fault is inherent in Artist box (part of the directive) and that it wasn't abused in any fashion. All things considered, you may actually have a required warranty repair. Just check on that directive.

Thanks for your time and thoughts on this. Yes, as already stated in the posts before, we have the 2 years customer warranty in Germany, but as you may also know, it can be hard and often become impossible to successfully trigger it, often not without a court procedure. Especially when the customer has serious reasons to ask for terminating the purchase contract. But new informations are on the way and we will post back.

Thanks for all the effort and informations you gave. Have a nice weekend.

• Sat, Mar 24 2018 8:53 PM In reply to

It took some time to tackle down the issue with the help of the AVID support. And the AVID support found a smart solution in connection with an AVID certified repair service here in Germany which was helping us in our case a lot. And without any additional costs. I have to admit, we were surprised about the patience and the individual commitment of the support to help at this exceptional case and the willingness to gain a pleasing happy end for this special story. A special thanks to Michael and Marianna! You are awesome!

The technical support makes the difference when it comes to choosing a company for your editing rooms nowadays!

• Sun, Mar 25 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,127
    • Points 22,825

We really are a small community and if we are having issues with a product we all know about it . I to had an issuue with support timlyness but Marianna took care of it in an instant She gets it when we are having problems it's an emergency and is in our corner ....

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Mar 25 2018 10:21 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

I've also had good reason to appreciate Marianna's assistance and support.  I've never had dealings with any other company that has anyone like her.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller