Latest post Mon, Mar 26 2018 3:34 PM by benzharris. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 12 2018 10:54 AM

• benzharris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2018
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

4K Proxy Workflow - Da Vinci Round Trip - Problems

I was wondering if anyone could help as I am kind of at my wit's end trying to get this to work. I'll give you a brief introduction to set the scene. I am working as an AE for a feature length documentary we finished shooting the bulk of around two weeks ago. We are working in Avid as we thought it was tried and tested for features so would perform better for us than Premiere, but at the moment I'm just not sure that's the case.

I've been trying to configure a 4K proxy workflow for almost a week now but every way I turn I hit another stumbling block and am just getting very frustrated with the entire thing. This should have taken me a day, not a week with still no progress. 

The main two problems are that background transcoding is completely useless, and that relinking video hasn't worked once for me. I am using footage from two of the 21 different cameras we will be using ; A7S and Pabasonic EVA1. They are both AVC Long-GOP. I haven't got the rest of the footage through yet so wanted to test with what I had. I'm working in a 4K project with the proxy timeline settings set to 1/4. I am AMA linking the files and then transcoding them inside Avid (without background render as that seems to be a feature which simply doesn't work) to DNxHD LB at 1080. I then make a test sequence inside Avid and try to relink the sequence. No luck. Not once has the video relinked. What am I doing wrong? I have tried Scott Freeman's metadata tricks, all the combinations of options in relinking the media and it has never worked. What do I have to do to make this work?

So after a few days of tests and fails of this I decided to embrace another workflow of Da Vinci Round tripping which I found here; http://droppedframe.com/2017/10/09/resolve-to-avid-a-dailies-workflow/. I figured I'd be able to batch transcode to DNx in here which would save time and I would be able to relink to files when importing the AAF back into Da Vinci easily. Also hasn't worked once. Not inside Avid nor Da Vinci import.

Please can anybody help. What am I doing wrong ? Surely it must be easier than this. I'd very much love to use Avid and get to grips with if over this project as I'd like to persue a career in TV and Film but I am very close to just calling it a day and going back to Premiere as none of this is a problem there. 

Thank you any help much appreciated

• Thu, Mar 22 2018 1:50 PM In reply to

• bas3000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 24 2014
    • Posts 11
    • Points 125

Re: 4K Proxy Workflow - Da Vinci Round Trip - Problems

Relinking can be a B*tch, but once you get the hang of it, it's a wonderful tool.

Try closing all bins EXCEPT the ones containing your A7s files. 

Select all your A7s files in every bin.

Relink Sequence with these settings:

https://ibb.co/egdBVH

I'm relinking like this all the time, works instantly.

Hope this helps!

-Bas

• Fri, Mar 23 2018 1:53 PM In reply to

Hi Ben,

I just saw this and so perhaps you've already figured out your issues.  We transcode with Resolve, edit in Avid, and then online/color correct our 4k masters with Resolve - as you describe.  It works, but there are some specific steps you need to take - and then there are always the workarounds that come up with different cameras and unique situations.  If you're still looking for help, email me and I can try to talk you through some of this.  Several years ago there was an online document that discussed the Resolve, Avid, Resolve process, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.  Maybe someone else here can direct Ben to that if they remember where it's located.

An aside: background rendering with Avid really only works if you have a very powerful computer with lots of memory.  And even then . . . it's not really ideal for a large amount of dailies.  Resolve is a very useful dailies/transcoding tool especially when you have many different cameras with different codecs and frame rates - a typical scenario for documentary work.

Tom

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony Options/iMac Late 2013 i7/Mac OS 10.14.4/32GB RAM/GTX 780M 4GB/ARECA 8050/Sony 1080p HDTV [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 26 2018 3:34 PM In reply to

• benzharris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2018
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply to my forum post. Any help and advice is very much appreciated. While we have figured out most of our workflow ins and outs, there is one which I am still scratching my head about which hopefully you might able to shine some light on.

We have footage which is not at our master project timerate (29.97, 60, etc. while we are cutting at 23.976). How do you go about dealing with this with the Resolve > Avid > Resolve roundtrip?

Thanks again,

Ben

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller