Latest post Thu, Mar 29 2018 8:10 PM by SSherrick. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 6:00 PM

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 25 2012
    • Boston
    • Posts 33
    • Points 400

Media Composer and Pro Tools 2018 Co-Install

I can't seem to locate any of the compatibility docs that deal with 2018 versions of software and whether co-install is supported or not quite there yet. I have two goals I need to accomplish:

1. I need to update Media Composer to address an audio mixer issue that appears to have been fixed in 2018.2. Seeing that it's March, I thought I might as well install 2018.3 unless there are new bugs that indicate installing 2018.2 instead.

2. I will also be doing some work in Pro Tools on this same system, so I need to co-install. In the past, there have always been the need to match specific versions, install in the right order, spin around 3 times, touch your nose, and prey to the Avid goddesses that it all works out. Is that still the case? Or is the co-install not as picky? Has anyone done it with the 2018 versions?

My system specs are:

iMac 5K 2015

Sierra 10.12.6

32GB RAM

Thanks!

Steve

Media Composer 6 Mac Pro (Harpertown) 2x 2.8GHZ 24GB RAM GT 120 & GTX285 RED Rocket Kona 3 ATTO R380 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 6:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,168
    • Points 217,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer and Pro Tools 2018 Co-Install

SSherrick

1.  I need to update Media Composer to address an audio mixer issue that appears to have been fixed in 2018.2. Seeing that it's March, I thought I might as well install 2018.3 unless there are new bugs that indicate installing 2018.2 instead.

Answer:  Go ahead as there are a few bug fixes in 2018.3 that didnt make 2018.2 so best to stick with the latest.  Also, make sure you follow the co-install instructions for MC and PT listed in the MC ReadMe.  

2. I will also be doing some work in Pro Tools on this same system, so I need to co-install. In the past, there have always been the need to match specific versions, install in the right order, spin around 3 times, touch your nose, and prey to the Avid goddesses that it all works out. Is that still the case? Or is the co-install not as picky? Has anyone done it with the 2018 versions?

Answer:  well I always want you to pray to the Avid Goddess but not for this.  

The Co-instal still remains the same...  

General Co-Installation Notes:

• Install Pro Tools first and then Media Composer.

• You must uninstall all older versions of Media Composer or Pro Tools before installing newer versions.

• Co-install does not support both applications launched simultaneously.

• When you uninstall Pro Tools, choose to uninstall just the application and not the audio drivers or the editing application no longer sees the devices. On a Macintosh Pro Tools 10 system, this is named the “Safe Uninstall.” On a Macintosh Pro Tools 11 system no uninstallation is required. On a Windows Pro Tools 10 or 11 or 12 system, you must select the first uninstall option - “Pro Tools Only” - which is not selected by default.

• If you run into any issues, uninstall both applications and reinstall Pro Tools first, and then reinstall your editing application.

• If you want to install your Avid editing application on a system with the Pro Tools Avid Video Engine installed, you must use one of the following configurations:

- Media Composer v5.5/NewsCutter v9.5 and later with Pro Tools v9.0 or later.

- Media Composer v5.0.x/NewsCutter v9.0.x with Pro Tools v8.5 or earlier.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 29 2018 6:31 PM In reply to

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston
    • Posts 33
    • Points 400

Thanks Marianna! And how dare I make goddess plural as we all know there is only one Avid Goddess.

I will follow the usual steps of doing the co-install. And I will install the 2018.3 versions of both.

Thanks!

Steve

Media Composer 6 Mac Pro (Harpertown) 2x 2.8GHZ 24GB RAM GT 120 & GTX285 RED Rocket Kona 3 ATTO R380 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston
    • Posts 33
    • Points 400

uh oh. Did the install and got this. 

• Thu, Mar 29 2018 8:10 PM In reply to

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Boston
    • Posts 33
    • Points 400

No worries, got it sorted. Followed notes from previous time I had this issue. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller