Latest post Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:39 PM by arian. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 23 2018 8:38 PM

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 16 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

MXF 23.976 to 24fps Project

Hello Avid community friends,
    I have  a full HD 24fps project and I would like to import MXF 23.976 to this project which is not possible and I want to know the best option to do that.
    The MXF files shot by Canon C300 and unfortunately the camera man just imported files to hard drive and format the original card. That means Avid just recognize the original Canon folder (tttttt/contents/Clips/...) to link and I just have the MXF clips.
    - Is that any way to import these files to my project without converting them in third party?
    - If I have to convert them to 24 and import them to Avid what's the best option to not loosing much quality? I have Sorenson but I would like to know your suggestion.
    - The sound recorded separately and I know I also have to change sound frame rate.
    Thank you.

Computer format: PC Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit Avid Media Composer 8.4 Sorenson Squeeze 10 Processor: Intel Core i5-2500... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 23 2018 10:38 PM In reply to

Re: MXF 23.976 to 24fps Project

Not sure but I think you need the Canon AMA plugin to link to these files.

After you link to them, in current versions of MC, open the Source Settings, click the Playback Rate tab and choose Project Frame Rate (24), then consolidate/transcode the clips to native Avid mediafiles. If you choose to convert to Project Frame Rate in Transcode, this will "bake in" the speed change to 24. This ensures that a frame stays a frame, no frames are skipped or repeated or interpolated or blended. Best for picture quality. But you'll have to adjust the sound.

As for sound, UNLESS the sound was already recorded at a pull-up sample rate of 47952 Hz, you will need to copy the sound files that belong to these 23.976fps clips, then use Wave Agent to modify them, setting the Sample Rate stamp to 48048 Hz. Then import the files (standard File->Import Media), with the import settings set to to convert sample rate to project sample rate. Essentially, you are telling the source file to play back against a 48048 Hz clock (speed-up, matching the pull-up from 23.976 to 24.000), then SR converting the result to 48000 Hz. These files should then sync up to the sped-up picture.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 6:01 AM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thanks for the respond Job,
    My problem is I can not import them to change it later. I installed Canon AMA plugin but as I said Avid just recognize Canon if I have the original folder files but I just have clips and Avid can not link to just MXF files.
    I would like to know how to link them if I just have clips and not the original folders in card? Or how to import this different frame rate if AMA link doesn't work?
    Thanks.

Computer format: PC Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit Avid Media Composer 8.4 Sorenson Squeeze 10 Processor: Intel Core i5-2500... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:14 AM In reply to

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:23 AM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 19 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 44
    • Points 520

The autodetection of the correct AMA-Plugin is sometimes strange... If you do not have the folder structure anymore you should link the MXF directly in the source browser.

When you open the source browser, navigate to the MXFs, i could swear, the detected plugin for MXF is in 90% of the time "AVID Generic". You could then right click on the plugin column in the SB and choose a plugin. This often helps me with FS7-Footage coming without the folders.

Maybe this helps, give it a try.

so long & thx

dbiok

[3x MediaComposer 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual XEON X5570) || Win10 64Bit] - [1x Symphony 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 8:42 AM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thanks Job,
    It was a great information but It didn't work for me because it has nothing to do with different rates.
    I created a CONTENTS folder and copy the clips on it but still the same error. I put my screenshot here and you will see the result.
    I asked one of my editor friends and he said I have to create another project with 23.976 and re-edit my project again and import them to there but I also have some 24fps frames which fortunately are not Canon MXF and I can import them to these project and go for your first suggestion (consolidate/transcode) to change them.
    Fortunately I just worked on the project a few days and I can start over :)

First 3 pictures single MXF files to link and Avid says I need a plugin which I already have it and you can see it in picture 2 but Avid always says something stupid when he can't solve it :)
    Pictures 4&5 when I choose the folder to link.
    Pictures 6&7&8 when I try to import.

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 8:50 AM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thanks Dbiok,
    My problem is not the recolonization of MXF files. as you can see my screenshots above it's about the different rates of my files and my project. single files couldn't import and I can not also link it to AMA because I don't have the original contests and when I read the link that job send it to me, he was right all these complicated files are stupid. we just need a simple video files (mov or mp4) to import for editing but seems all those companies like everything complicated.

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 9:48 AM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 44
    • Points 520

ok, i can see. This is an older version of MC, maybe that could be the problem. We are on 2018.4 with the latest plugins (xpmw-3-3-0-7-9l and rpmw-2-1-0-5-9l) and every canon file i tested is linking fine. With or without folder structure, but i only got the common canon files, like mp4 and MXF with XDCam, etc

Could you provide a "unmodified" sample file so i can test one of yours?

so long & thx

dbiok

[3x MediaComposer 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual XEON X5570) || Win10 64Bit] - [1x Symphony 2018.7 @ NitrisDX || HP Z800 Workstation (Dual... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 4:03 PM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Here is one of unmodified MXF files (A zip file-AA004801 in my profile files).
    Just remember to create a 24fps project and let me know.
    Thanks.

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 4:22 PM In reply to

• dbiok
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 44
    • Points 520

It linked without problems, but not with the Canon Plugin. It is the standard MXF Plugin, cause from my point of view, this footage is standard XDCamHD50 as you can see in the BIN.

However I had to set the plugin manual. Remember, I am on MC 2018.4!

Hope this helps a bit.

so long & thx

dbiok

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:19 PM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thanks dbiok. and your project was 24fps? It's interesting. I guess I have to update to 2018.4 for the future.
    Just a technical question. how a 23.976 file can play in 24fps project with another 24fps files? I guess I have to change it to 24 in Avid as Job told me before or any movements looks faster if I keep it that way.
    Thanks again.

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:34 PM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

I just created a new testing project and manually linked to MXF plugin and it works :)
    Thank you very much dbiok and Job. you saved my time :) and no need to update to 2018.4 :)

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:34 PM In reply to

From what I understand, you have two separate issues, each of which I have tried to answer separately.

1. You need to link to these files.

2. You need to adjust playback framerate.

My solution for 2. requires you first get 1. to work.

The speedup from 23.976 to 24.000 will be unnoticable. This is done ALL the time on movies in the 60Hz world.

Doing a frame rate conversion (sans speed change) will result in dropped frames, which will be very noticable. Don’t do it.

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 5:39 PM In reply to

• arian
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thanks Job,
    First issue solved as I shouldn't choose Canon MXF plugin(even my files was shooting with Canon) and just choose MXF plugin manually.
    Second issue I keep your suggestion and I don't do frame rate conversion :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller