Latest post Sun, May 6 2018 9:41 PM by Marty. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 1 2018 10:07 PM

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 14,515

Limiter settings?

I'm currently editing a doc whcih has pretty poor audio: the dynamic is all over the place and when I play the film, I end up keeping a finger on the volume for constant adjustment on the fly.

I'm screening the film to a test audience later this week and probably won't be able to do that in the theater. So I've been thinking about putting a limiter or compressor on the tracks to do a quick and dirty normalize of the sound. I'm not familiar with audio fx, which one would be the best/easiest? And with what settings? 

Also, do I have to put the RTAS effect on each tracks, or can I just apply it to the Master fader? Will it be exported when I create a QuickTime from Media Composer?

Thanks for helping my ears!

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 1 2018 10:26 PM In reply to

Re: Limiter settings?

Hi Pierre,

From what you describe I think I’d opt for a compressor on each dialogue track and possibly a limiter on the Master. MC has a nice Channel Strip (under ‘EQ’). This has boty EQ/filters and an expander and a compressor. They sound nicer than the older Compressor. As for a limiter, you’ll likely want a brickwall limiter and/or a True Peak limiter. Those are not standard in MC, and the old limiter in MC does not sound nice, IMHO. If possible, get Nugen ISL or Avid Pro Limiter or Waves L2 or Massey L2007.

As for setting the Channel Strip, I usually smooth things out during editorial by using the Filters to shelve off low frequencies from around 88Hz at 24dB/oct, then shelve off high frequencies from 14K at 24dB/oct. As for compression, don’t dial it up too high, 3:1 or so. Threshold depends on source levels, but probably around -24dB. Fast attack, ~200ms release, and 4-5dB gain. You can then use clip gain to raise or lower the levels you send into the compressor. Lowering the clip gain means less compression, turning up clip gain means more compression. 

Here’s a useful blog: https://www.evanschiff.com/bd/articles/quick-and-easy-dialogue-cleanup, but it deals with a stack of differemt RTaS plugins rather than the (newer) Channel Strip.

Finally, you could consider adding iZotope RX Voice Denoise. Since Avid and iZotope are giving away RX6 Elements for free this week... http://www.avid.com/special-offers/izotope-rx-elements?utm_campaign=organicsocial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1524509008. But that’s more of a clean-up tool, it doesn’t reduce dynamics (on the contrary).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 1:25 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 14,515

Thanks Job!

Great and usefull info. I also got good stuff from the Star Trek article!

Now, extra question: can I have several Audio Track Effect Tool windows opened at the same time? It would be neat to be able to view my Compressor and the EQ at the same time.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 2:26 PM In reply to

I don't think you can, no.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 3:00 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 14,515

Job ter Burg:

I don't think you can, no.

I tried all key combos when clicking on the icon in the timeline, no luck. Huh?

• Thu, May 3 2018 9:54 AM In reply to

If there is a lot of volume variation i will suggest to use two or three compressors with subtle settings on the same track if you want to avoid the pumping effect. It's always better to have several compressors in serial (with gentle settings) than one compressor with drastic setting.

I mean with gentle setting something like:

Threshold: -20db

ratio: 2:1

Before using the compressor, it is advisable to use a filter to clean up your track (particulary low frequencies)

It is also very important not to apply the same setting on the entire track, i would treat the audio by part, i will split the audio in several tracks with the same ambiance (noisy parts, calm parts,...)

Hope this can help.

• Sun, May 6 2018 9:41 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 901
    • Points 10,500

If you need it really quick and easy, you coul buy the Waves L2 ($29-$69) and use that on the master fader to raise / limit the volume.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller