Latest post Tue, May 22 2018 9:04 AM by luca.mg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2018 6:46 AM

Media Composer crashes after loading project when external harddrive is connected

Hello. I just downloaded and installed Media Composer First. I have all my clips and media on an external harddrive but for some reason MC crashes after loading or creating a project. When I disconnect my harddrive it works though. Would be great to be able to have it connected so that I can bring in media from it. This works with any other software without any problems.

I'm on windows 10.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @2.50ghz 2.50ghz 16gb RAM Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 1:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer crashes after loading project when external harddrive is connected

Emil

Do you get an error message of any kind?

Win 10 Professional and Enterprise??

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 16 2018 1:47 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,724
    • Points 18,985
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer crashes after loading project when external harddrive is connected

Hi Emil.Oberg,

Please complete your user profile, include full specs of machine. Is the drive USB 2.0 or 3.0, do you have full access/permission to the drive?

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 2:24 PM In reply to

No error message whatsoever. It just freezes and then crashes. I have windows 10 home 64 bit. I updated my profile.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @2.50ghz 2.50ghz 16gb RAM Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 2:25 PM In reply to

Hi!

I updated my profile with the specs. The external hd is connected to a USB 3.0 port. How do I check if I have full permission to the drive? Thanks

Specs: Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    Intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @2.50ghz    2.50ghz
    16gb RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M

• Wed, May 16 2018 2:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Emil

You are aware that Windows Home is not approved right?   MC First requires...... 

• Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise
    • Windows 8.1 Professional and Enterprise
    • Windows 7 Professional (Service Pack 1 only)
    Complete specificatins are listed here:  http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/Windows_Current_CPU_Specifications.pdf As for the drive.....   how is it connected?  USB port direct or via a  USB3 PCMCIA controller?  If so which one? Marianna
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 16 2018 3:09 PM In reply to

No I was not aware of that. It seems to work fine though when the external is not connected and I tried it on my friends computer wich has Windows 10 professional and it was the same problem. I have my external connected directly to the USB port.

• Wed, May 16 2018 3:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

hmmmmm..........

Most that i know use a cheap PCMCIA USB3 card and attach to that.....    I cant try it for you as I dont have a USB3 here...

Anyone out there that can?

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, May 16 2018 8:43 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,469
    • Points 44,720
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

What hard drive are you using. Sometimes the drive itself may be the problem. I have a 2-drive RAID USB3 enclosure connected to my editing system. I can't boot the drive with the enclosure turned on. It works fine if I boot with the enclosure off and then turn it on after the system has started. Still working on that one (might need drivers installed into the firmware).

If you have another external drive, try that and see what happens. If that fails, then it's a problem with the USB port/hardware/driver. If not, then it's probably a problem with the drive. You should also try it with no other USB connected devices that don't absolutely have to be there (e.g. keyboard and/or mouse).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, May 17 2018 10:58 AM In reply to

I’m using a seagate backup plus 2tb. It’s a cheap external. I tried a friends external and his worked fine so it seems to be something with my external. I’ve used it without any troubles in all other software I use for years though. 

If I get a new external to use with MC, what do I have to think about?

• Fri, May 18 2018 6:28 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,724
    • Points 18,985
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Emil.Oberg:
    I tried a friends external and his worked fine so it seems to be something with my external.

You plug both external in the same USB ports? USB 3.0 work best if you used 3.0 blue ports. Interesting to know what is the difference between the two USB drive, your friends external also have media files in it?

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 22 2018 9:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Make sure that the drive is properly configured in the device manager, set it for high performance rather than quick removal. Sometimes a motherboard BIOS and the drive's firmware (if any available) update will fix these kind of issues.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller