Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 9:35 AM by Brad. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 17 2018 10:33 PM

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,160

Moving project to another drive after using AMA clips to create subclips.

Need some quick help.

MC 2018.4

Created project on external USB drive connected to desktop with Avid (system A).  Linked AMA to source footage in Downloads folder of desktop hard drive, but need to move the project and source media to another set of drives connected to another desktop (system B).

I was thinking to transcode the footage from the System A Desktop the System A external HD and then consolidate the project to the other system, but then I'm assuming the subclips in the project will stiil be referencing the AMA source clips (from the system A desktop) not the transcoded source clips, thus rendering the subclips useless.

Reading this does anyone have a solution for moving the project from System A to system B so that I can use all the sublicp work that's been done?

Thanks

imac late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 OS 10.13.2 MC 8.10.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2018 5:09 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 12,075

Re: Moving project to another drive after using AMA clips to create subclips.

1. Copy media to new drive

2. Copy project to newdrive

3. Remove old drive

4. Open project

5. Use source browser to view every mediafolder on new drive ( drill down folders until you see clips and wait until each folder is processed)

Should all be linked

6. Put in feature request that avid be able to index a volume/folder, preferably in background 

Alternatively (if you only need subclips)

1. Select subclips 

2. Right click and transcode/consolidate them to new drive

Or (if you want all master clips as avid native media) consolidate the master clips to the new drive, you will be able to relink the subclips.

• Fri, May 18 2018 7:22 AM In reply to

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,160

Thanks.

Method 1 was pretty easy and worked first time.

Though in the process of experimenting I did try to consolidate the AMA clips from the Desktop HD on System A to External Drive on System A.  I got the message that they were all skipped because of unrecognizable format, which is wierd as it was just AVCHD H.264 which I've transcoded with no problem.

Also, just to know, is there any way to mass select sublicps from different folders and transcode all of those?  I don't think I've ever seen subclips in say the Media tool...

Thanks.

imac late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 OS 10.13.2 MC 8.10.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2018 7:43 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 12,075

You probably need to transcode, rather than consolidate H264 AVCHD

You could use search tool and can maybe filter subclips?

Or open the bins & cut subclips into a sequence then consolidate the sequence?

or just open bin and consolidate subclips as background process then move onto next bin

• Fri, May 18 2018 9:24 AM In reply to

Brad:

Thanks.

Method 1 was pretty easy and worked first time.

Though in the process of experimenting I did try to consolidate the AMA clips from the Desktop HD on System A to External Drive on System A.  I got the message that they were all skipped because of unrecognizable format, which is wierd as it was just AVCHD H.264 which I've transcoded with no problem.

Also, just to know, is there any way to mass select sublicps from different folders and transcode all of those?  I don't think I've ever seen subclips in say the Media tool...

Thanks.

Unrecognised formats are non native avid codecs. Although Avid does have a H264 native codec....

So yes you need to transcode not consolidate. H264 isn't great as an edit codec.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, May 18 2018 9:35 AM In reply to

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,160

Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller