Latest post Thu, May 24 2018 7:30 PM by Marianna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2018 3:16 PM

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 38
    • Points 480

Dongle not detected by Application Manager but seems ok in device manager

Suddenly my dongle is not detected in Avid Application Manager (and not reported by Dongle Manager from previous MC version, since 8.10 doesn't have it anymore). I reinstalled all sw (Media Composer, App Manager, Sentinel Driver, iLock etc.) but it did not resolved the issue. I have 2 systems and 2 dongles. On affected system neither dongle is detected and on the other system both dongles are ok (freshly blasted with latest dongle updates). Strange this is that the dongle is detected by Windows itself and reported as working properly. Sentinel drivers/services are running too. I have NO idea where the problem is :( Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

DNxIO w. MC2018.11 on HP z820 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, May 23 2018 4:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,156
    • Points 217,335
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Dongle not detected by Application Manager but seems ok in device manager

So the common denominator is the system itself?  

Do you have another USB port on that Win system?  Is it win 10?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 23 2018 4:33 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 38
    • Points 480

It looks like it... I have tried all USB ports, no change. Also the dongle IS VISIBLE to the system (Win7 Pro) itself as a device, but not to the DongleManager/AppManager, as if sentinel services can't communicate with the dongle. But how on earth this happened from one day to another? A reinstalled sentinel drivers twice, removed all previous versions etc. with no effect.

• Wed, May 23 2018 4:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,156
    • Points 217,335
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Can you private message me the system ID and dongle Serial # as well as the options it has on it.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 23 2018 7:51 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 38
    • Points 480

Marianna:

Can you private message me the system ID and dongle Serial # as well as the options it has on it.

Marianna

I have sent you a PM, thank you.

• Thu, May 24 2018 4:56 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 38
    • Points 480

In case anyone else stumbles upon this issue:

There seems to be a problem in communication with SafeNet dongles when using Windows Remote Desktop. The device manager sees the dongle and reports it correctly, but the communication with the dongle doesn't pass thru intermediate SW layer used in remote session. This is only true if the session is started from Remote Desktop (when Windows creates new logon session remotely) - in this case the dongle doesn't work. But when starting session locally (logging in directly to the Windows machine), the dongle works fine. Even when switching from local session to Remote Desktop, it still works, as the original login was performed locally.

It took me 2 days to figure it out - uninstalling and reinstalling several versions of Media Composer, Avid AppManager, Santinel drivers etc, blasting the dongle twice (second time with your supplied update), and finally reinstalling the whole Windows OS on the affected workstation. After that I checked all the cables, all peripherals, measured voltage and current of USB ports/peripherals used, only finally discovering the strange coincidence with my physical presence and dongle behaviour. After that it took only several tests to confirm and later I have found several other reports of such behaviour with other SW using SafeNet dongles (although not even one with Media Composer). It seems there are two solutions to this - either to start a session by logging in localy (and then connecting via Remote Desktop), or not use Remote Desktop at all (rather VNC or other soulution which do not share this isssue).
  • Thu, May 24 2018 7:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,156
    • Points 217,335
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Well here is the scoop

Avid Application Manager cannot bind the activation to a virtual Network Interface Card (NIC). If you have trouble activating, disable your VPN connection first.

Avid Application Manager may not be able to bind to the virtual NIC used in some VMs. If the VM is rebooted the activation may become invalid.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Notes-on-systems-using-a-VPN-or-Virtual-Machines

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller