Latest post Tue, Jun 5 2018 11:55 PM by AndrewAction. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 4 2018 9:54 PM

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,215

If you hade 3 hours from last cut to show time....

Trying to make an risc analysis here....

Would you ever dare to deliver the show via Internet?

Or is it via SNG(Satellilte) that is the only right choice here?

The risks im looking at if deliver by Internet is:

* Video mixdown crasches (feel free to give examples why a mixdown could crasch)

* export to MXF crasches (feel free to give examples why a export could crasch)

* transcode in Handbrake crashes

* uploading to ftp fails

The security by deliver via SNG:

Just play direct from Avid. No need to video mixdown, export etc.

If neccessary, you can edit a litle bit longer.

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 6:31 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 469
    • Points 5,550

Re: If you hade 3 hours from last cut to show time....

don't know the cost involved.

you can render in the background in MXF.

can make partial mixdowns during pee brakes.

ftp uploads are resumable.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 7:13 AM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,975

this must be more specified,

how long is the show, whats your production codec & format, how fast is your inet upload connection.

your points:

Video mixdown crasches, dont have this for years if your timeline plays smoothly

export to MXF crasches, it mostly didnt start up so you can check the error message and fix

transcode in Handbrake crashes: i use media encoder and using QTref with mixdowns from avid, never failed

your "Just play direct from Avid." dont know now but years ago you get sometimes audio video sync problems

by playing >12min and you cant press stop and play cause your live on air. it was diffrent to play out from a solid playout server or playout direct from a mediacomposer

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 7:27 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,215

fsm:

how long is the show, 44 mins

whats your production codec & format, xdcamhd50

how fast is your inet upload connection. unknown for the moment, hope we will have 100 mbit

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 7:37 AM In reply to

Some thoughts

Who or what are you delivering too?
    If it is for broadcast I do not know any network that would accept a program with 3 hours or less to show time.  They would  not have time to review the program, perform compliance checks, set up commercial breaks etc etc. 

As far as I know AS-11 format is accepted as a delivery format to a reasonable number of European networks. It is a 50 MB MPEG format so the final file sizes are relatively small. Outputs to AS-11 from MC are fast, especially if you have planned to export to them for setup your MC projects to edit with appropriate MPEG media formats.

Assuming both you and the receiving station use fast fibre connections you could then in theory output and deliver broadcast file in less than an hour. 

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 1:39 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,215

AndrewAction:

Some thoughts

Review and so on will be done at set. 

And because of slow Internet connection, we will send x264 files that is only around 1,5 gb in size.

One "cheap" solution instead of SNG/Satellite is to use an aviwest... http://www.aviwest.com/

and play it up directly from Avid.

I assume that we should make an audiio + video mixdown before we play it out? Anything else?

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 9:23 PM In reply to

mkj:
    I assume that we should make an audio + video mixdown before we play it out?
    I would  and I would then edit the mixdowns into a new timeline that only had the tracks used on it. 

mkj:
    Anything else?
    How are you meeting the audio loudness requirements? There are programs out there that will open a mixdown file , analyse and then process the file to a standard you set in less than 5 minutes (for a 44 minute program)   I tried one as a demo in 2013 (30 days no restrictions) but cannot find the download or name, sorry. It was very simple. Analyse set and forget.  Most I see these days take me more than 3 hours to explore the interface sufficiently to make sure I had it setup correctly.  Some digging with Google should turn up several options should you need to legalise.

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 9:29 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 469
    • Points 5,550

the audio processor you're thinking of might be LM Correct.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 11:55 PM In reply to

Close but it was not that one. The one I was looked at had a very similar interface but was around one third of the price. (it had less features and presets)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller