Latest post Wed, Jun 20 2018 4:39 AM by NickFJ. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 15 2018 5:57 PM

• CLAvid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 15 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

import notes as locators / markers not working

Hi there,

I am trying to import time code notes to Avid as locators. (The purpose is that time code notes are taken on a film set of the footage being recorded and I want them to be imported as locators once in Post to assist the editors finding key moments. As of now my notes are done in either Pages/Word and saved as a PDF and Post would glance over at it to find footage - not ideal. I'd like to create a document from my notes - .txt I understand - to be able to make my notes work as locators.

I've looked online A LOT and have tried various things, to no avail. PLEASE HELP!

When I try to import locators either in a bin it repeatedly says "the file format of "FILENAME.txt" is not supported for import" OR some message about record monitor must be selected. (Typically the first message appears).

If I try to import locators to the locator/marker window box where one would view all locators at once = NOTHING happens. No message, no import. It's basically like I've clicked nothing.

From my understanding it must be a plain text (.txt) file and there's a few 'columns' of information (V1, color, name, time code, note --- not that order).

I have tried copy and pasting the exact format as found online and swapping out the notes - doesn't import.

I've tried creating it in Excel first and all that as found online. Nope. Doesn't import.

I've gone backwards and created a locator in Avid then exported locators, edited that file to change just the time code and note, tried to import again and nothing happens. (I mean, in theory this should work formatting is basically avid approved if it exported it that way...so why won't it import??)

There's an app out there that lets you take live time code notes and has an option to export as Avid Locators -- tried that format as a template and nothing happens. (The app doesn't work for what I need - I need to be able to take my detailed notes and create a locators list from that, for import later on).

Hopefully someone can help me out. It'd be a game changer if there's a solution.

• Wed, Jun 20 2018 4:39 AM In reply to

• NickFJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 25
    • Points 245

Re: import notes as locators / markers not working

There is a solution and if you can follow this... it works. It's fiddly but worth it and do it once and the rest comes easy. I have used to line up a transcibed interview so we could word search a timeline without the scriptsync option.

Good luck:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 20.0px Times} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 20.0px Times; min-height: 24.0px} span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}

INSCRIBE TO MARKERS PROCESS

Open the inscr or txt document in word.

Delete any of the irrelevant text from the top and bottom of the document.

Using find and replace, find any brackets [ or ] and replace with nothing.

Using find and replace, find ‘\r’ and replace with ‘^l’ or from the drop down menu choose manual line break. This creates a line break at the end of each piece of transcribed text.

Make sure the name, the time code and the transcript text are all separated by a tab, to see if they are, turn on “show all non printing characters” by hitting thebutton.

The tab key is denoted by  an arrow.

Once the text looks like this;

00:06:09.02 AD: Let's go back into your childhood.  You're one of three kids. 

00:06:12.19 MG: Yes. 

00:06:13.11 AD: The youngest, you're the girl, two older brothers. 

00:06:15.24 MG: Yes, correct. 

00:06:16.19 AD: And you're a bit of a tomboy.

Check that everything is uniform, sometimes the transcriber puts a line with CHAT or some other info in it, will muck up the import in the next step. Delete these if you find them.

Once you have done all the above, save the document as a .txt file. You will be given the option to chose the encoding language, this is a vital step. Choose other and from the list, down the bottom, choose Windows Latin 1.

You have now created a txt file that you will iMport into excel.

Open excel, create blank work sheet, go to file import select txt file and hit import then navigate to the saved file above. Select file, hit get data. Make sure delimited is selected and in the file origin drop down menu select Western Windows Latin 1, click Next.

Make sure under delimiters, tab is checked. Click next.

For the time code column only, select text under column data format then click finish.

=$A$1 is the cell you want to start  at.

Now you need to insert 2 columns, one for the layer you want the marker to go in and one for the colour of the marker ie green, white etc but not aubergine, avid won’t recognize that colour.

Now reorder the columns so it goes;

Name – timecode – V1 or A1 for the layer – Colour – Notes (or in our case transcription).

For the layer and the colour you have to manually put those in. Once in, highlight the top 2 cells, and with the cells still highlighted, go all the way to the last line then hold shift and click the last 2 cells. Go to edit/ fill and click /down. Now the columns should read A1 or V1 all the way down and the other column should read green all the way down. Make sure the A1 is A1 all the way down not A2 A3 A4 ETC.

If the time code reads 00:00:00.0 you need to highlight the timecode column and do a find and replace search and replace . for : so avid can read it. Make sure you only replace the fullstop in the timecode column and not the whole document. The time code should look like this 00:00:00:00 all colons not fullstops.

Scroll down the document to make sure it is all uniform.

Once it is, then save the document as .txt (windows formatted text)

This last step is weird but seemingly necessary.

Open the document in text edit, go to duplicate, rename it and close it to bring up the save dialog box. Make sure in the encoding you select windows Western Latin 1 as the encoding.

This file you have just created should now be able to be imported into avid as markers.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.2 Mac OS X 10.8.5 iMac 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Promise T/bolt 4TB Raid Lacie T/bolt 6TB Raid [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller