Latest post Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:18 PM by David Yardley. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 26 2018 9:35 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 172
    • Points 2,380

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K output level is too low

I had almost convinced myself over the weekend that it was my monitor(s) clipping off the blacks below 16, even though I never noticed that happen before. But I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the signal doesn't seem quite right coming off this card.

The two monitors I have don't have component input, they have HDMI. They also have SDI, but the Intensity Pro 4k doesn't have SDI output. I sold my Matrox MXO2 Mini a few months ago otherwise I would go back to that device just to compare signals.

Unfortunately I'm too busy this week to troubleshoot more but I also have an email out to Blackmagic tech support to see if they can help identify what the card is doing.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 12:56 AM In reply to

• Ruckmonkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Hi wkumingo, did you ever figure out a solution to this issue?  I'm currently experiencing crushed blacks with Intensity Pro 4k over HDMI with MC 8.9.3.  thanks.

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:27 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 172
    • Points 2,380

Ruckmonkey:
    did you ever figure out a solution to this issue?

Sorry I've been meaning to update this thread!

Long story short: I spent MUCH time detailing the problem to Blackmagic tech support and they finally agreed to RMA the card. After testing it they sent a screenshot of their own waveform monitor, clearly with the negative pluge clipped off the bottom of the scope. Their response: "The lab is stating through their testing that this is outputting exactly as it should be and they will be sending the card back." They never even acknowledged that this is a problem in the first place! Very odd.

I did finally "solve" the problem ... by switching to an AJA KONA 1 card! SDI output worked exactly as expected as soon as I plugged it in. Negative pluges are visible on my external monitor and on my waveform monitor too. It's more expensive and unfortunately limited to HD output, but the image looks great.

Bottom line: I highly recommend ditching Blackmagic and buying an AJA card instead.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:36 AM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,375

I use the BM card.  I would not expect it to display sub blacks or peaks over 100%.

When exporting for broadcast I put a safe colour limiter effect  on which clips anyway.

The computer display does however show the sub blacks /peaks if you need to.

When grading, I grade on my external monitor looking at the 0-100 limited output, after all this is what is going to be broadcast. 

Agreed, the -ve pulse is useful for setting up the monitor but not a huge issue. Anyway, you should not be able to see the pulse if the monitor is set up correctly.

Exporting will export the full range, as it should, but it will fail tech without the colour effect limiter.

A word of warning, the componant inputs in PAL are usless.  The levels are all wrong and BM know about it.

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:58 AM In reply to

Gretski:
    I would not expect it to display sub blacks or peaks over 100%.
    I would. You actually need those to send any type of test signal to your monitor so you can properly calibrated it.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:15 PM In reply to

• Ruckmonkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

wkumingo:
    Bottom line: I highly recommend ditching Blackmagic and buying an AJA card instead.

Wow.  That is crazy.  One of my biggesst pet peaves is when products have a very specific purpose and they don't do whatever it is they are supposed to.  Very frustrating.  I had moved from a Matrox MXO2 mini because it was end of life after OSX Yosemite.  I would just get a Mojo DX but they are not going to be supported after March of 2020.  The new DNxIV looks interesting but is $3,000.  I will look into the AJA offerings, thanks for the tip!

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:23 PM In reply to

• Heff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 41
    • Points 495

I also ditched the card and went back to the AJA IO Express. I've found them very reliable and lots now available 2nd hand. The BM card is fine for off-line suites, but it's not good enough for on-line and grading.

Z620, AJA IoExpress, MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:31 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,432
    • Points 41,375

Heff:

I also ditched the card and went back to the AJA IO Express. I've found them very reliable and lots now available 2nd hand. The BM card is fine for off-line suites, but it's not good enough for on-line and grading.

I am no BM IO fan, but this is an interesting comment given that the BM IOs are required for use with Resolve, a proven grading tool.

I really wonder if there is more at play here.

And as an aside, I have become less happy with the quality of AJA drivers in the last couple of years.  Many small (and some not so small) issues.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Gretski:
    A word of warning, the componant inputs in PAL are usless.  The levels are all wrong and BM know about it.
    Also true for NTSC.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 11:58 PM In reply to

• Ruckmonkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

It looks like the AJA Control Panel software allows users to change color space settings for both SDI and HDMI outputs, along with many other settings.  Whereas the BM control panel is very limited and you get what you get.

• Fri, Mar 1 2019 9:16 AM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,375

Yes, if you nees SDI and AES audio then go ahead and go down the AJA route. If you have SDI and AES monitoring the extra cost is not an issue.

I used to use the Nitris boxes and due to downsizing and now all delivery is on file, I dont need it.

I have been astonished that I was able to buy a BM  card for just £130 that does everything I need with a performance that significantly outstriped the Nitris DX.  No more OS errors, instant switching between frame rates, recovery from standby, faster boot, faster scrub, 4K etc

Yes there are slight limitations but overall, its a very good card with amazing value for money.

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 1 2019 9:59 AM In reply to

Gretski:
    No more OS errors
    You were having OS errors with Nitris DX? Weird, I have never experienced any of that.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:06 AM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,375

Any power intruption to the Nitris DX or PC standby causes MC to give error "OS Error" and your only option is to quit, do a complete power shutdown and reboot from scratch.

• Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:56 AM In reply to

This looks like a monitor issue.

I agree the OP 4th image shows teh pluge pulse correctly going below 0 as you would expect if 0 is taken as digital 16 for 8 bit in rec709.

The image also shows its using the HDMI input so I can only assume the HDMI signal actually does have all the data.

I have seen this before on some clients monitors that are unable to show any picture information for signals below digital 16

Turn up the monitor brightness and you just get a flat grey the sub black info is clipped.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Mar 1 2019 12:43 PM In reply to

FYI Both Aja i/o Express and Kona Lhi clip below Rec709 black into a Panasonic Plasma DVI input and Sony TV HDMI input.

So I always feed them component.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller