Latest post Mon, Jun 25 2018 9:58 AM by Corne Scheepers. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 23 2018 12:29 PM

Workflow advice needed: 4K in a 1080p/25 project

I need some expert advice on a workflow for bringing 4K files into a 1080p/25 project please.

I shoot with a Sony PXW-X70 and a Sony A7SII, both set to 4K at the highest quality. My project in Media Composer is 1080p/25 and I need to bring everything in at 4K source resolutions so I have the option to reframe my footage in FrameFlex.

Here's my current workflow:

1) Create bins for each camera in 1080p/25 project

2) Link the .mp4 and .mxf files in Source Browser

3) With the project still set to 1080, Transcode all my linked files at Souce Resolution, either as a background process or not (depending on time available)

4) Take drive with original source media offline, and then Relink the linked clips to the newly transcoded DNxHR LB (3996x2160) footage.

I'm having all sorts of issues when doing this across different projects:

Problem 1) The files from the A7SII won't allow direct import, so I need to follow the whole Link/Transcode/Relink workflow for every job. Is there no other option of getting this into MC quicker?

Problem 2) Many times the linked A7SII clips won't relink to the transcoded media. I don't have this problem with the X70's linked clips. I've noticed that GoPro footage gives me the same issues. Where am I going wrong? I cycled through all the drive and relink settings.

Problem 3) When background transcoding I get plenty of errors. As in MANY! I've checked and there is sufficient drive space available. Most of the time I then need to go back and either manually import or transcode the files that gave errors.  

Obviously this wastes a lot of valuable editing time.

Am I just doing all of this the wrong way? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Using MC 2018.5 on Win 10

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 23 2018 1:39 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,364
    • Points 16,825

Re: Workflow advice needed: 4K in a 1080p/25 project

Corne Scheepers:

1) Create bins for each camera in 1080p/25 project

2) Link the .mp4 and .mxf files in Source Browser

3) With the project still set to 1080, Transcode all my linked files at Souce Resolution, either as a background process or not (depending on time available)

4) Take drive with original source media offline, and then Relink the linked clips to the newly transcoded DNxHR LB (3996x2160) footage.

1 and 2 are fine. 

3 is okay, but if you have a lot of material you can also transcode to the 1/8 or 1/16 resolutions and FrameFlex will be automatically applied.  The only raster size you must not use is the project raster size (1080) if you want to easily keep the option to reposition.

4 no need to relink.  Edit with the transcoded clips and relink back to the source material for final output.

Transcode fails often have to do with conflicting processes.  What else is running while you are transcoding? 

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 8:27 AM In reply to

Thank you for replying!

Regarding 4: Relinking seems to be the biggest issue here. The .mp4 clips simply will not relink to the transcoded media (anything coming in from the A7SII and GoPros seems to have this issue). Also I'm concerned that if I edit with the transcoded media and I need to recreate the same project later (something I need to do from time to time), I'm going to have issues getting that footage back online. AMA will not recognize the transcoded offline clips, will it?

I'll have to check what else is running when I'm background transcoding. Thanks for pointing this out! Will investigate.

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 24 2018 10:04 AM In reply to

That last step 4 just isn't needed.

You AMA link. Transcode and then just work with the transcoded clips.

The relink back to the source AMA clips (if you need to go back up to 4K (well actually you mean UHD)) is done with the final timeline not the master clips.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 2:29 PM In reply to

Thanks Pat. Yes indeed I stand corrected, UHD not 4k.

If I worked with the transcoded clips, completed the project and took the media offline when we're done, how would I recreate that sequence again if I ever needed to?

With AVCHD media I've always been able to just hook up the backup drive and link to the original camera media in the Source Browser. All the offline clips in my bins would then come back online and so would the sequence. 

Won't this linking be broken if I edited with the transcoded clips in my bins instead of the original linked clips? 

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 4:36 PM In reply to

The final sequence can and should relink to the original master sources. You can then transcode the sequence (with handles) to whatever media you want.

If you have trashed the offline media then you have to recreate it anyway. So you AMA linmk and Transcode. As the transcodes happen the orignial clips should repopulate. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jun 25 2018 9:58 AM In reply to

Pat thanks for your help. I'm starting to think that I might have been doing this wrong for a long time, so will you mind talking me through the process please?

From your explanation I understand the following:

Step 1) Link camera source files in Source Browser

Step 2) Transcode the linked files to Avid flavour

Step 3) Take drive with camera files offline, edit sequence with transcoded media

Step 4) When done, take the transcoded media offline, connect drive with original master sources and relink offline sequence to original media. Render and output?

When I need to recreate that same sequence a few months down the line I then do the following:

1) Open old project and offline sequence

2) Connect drive with original camera media

3) Relink the offline sequence to that drive

4) Transcode...?

Please help. For most of my projects I need to get in and out of Media Composer rather quickly and also have the ability to recreate my old sequences later to make changes, so ideally I need to have one set of clips in my bins I can take online and offline

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller