Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:19 PM by Trensharo. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 17 2018 5:00 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,611
    • Points 60,255

Re: Fusion Connect is broken in 2018.7 - Heads up for those upgrading from 2018.5

Bruno M:

And you've probably explained the reaon why Blackmagic might be dragging their heels on this one.

I don't think it hurts BMD sales for users to purchase Fusion Studio 9 and use it with Media Composer. In fact, with a Fusion Studio dongle you can also run Resolve Studio for free so in this case there is absolutely no benefit to BMD and every reason to correct this issue so that more MC users will purchase Fusion Studio.

Another point is that Fusion Studio is far beyond the capabilities of the Fusion embedded into Resolve (at least at this time) so people who work in Fusion for a living would not use the embedded Fusion (not for serious VFX). Eventually, perhaps, but not with Resolve 15. TBD what the future will bring. Hopefully Fusion Studio 10 with an updated Fusion Connect v10 for MC...

I'm allowed to dream.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:26 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,611
    • Points 60,255

Re: Fusion Connect is broken in 2018.7 - Heads up for those upgrading from 2018.5

MC 2018.10 and still no joy for users of Fusion Connect.  Sad. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 6:22 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,611
    • Points 60,255

Perhaps if BMD were to release Fusion Studio 10 then this would get fixed.

For those who've forgotten, Avid made a change in MC 2018.7 that broke the Fusion Connect plugin from BMD.

Avid's explanation is that they fixed a bug that Fusion Connect was exploiting and hence the fingers were pointed from Avid to BMD.

Here we are months later and I have yet to hear that BMD has acknowledged that this bug is theirs to fix.

Avid is apparently in communications with BMD but we have received absolutely zero update information.

I realize that I can still work in Fusion independently and then render out media for MC but the round-tripping of Fusion Connect was pretty great.

I will ask once again - Avid - please push this with BMD if you possibly can.

Thanks.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Nov 18 2018 12:28 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

BarkinMadd:

Perhaps if BMD were to release Fusion Studio 10 then this would get fixed.

Thanks.

It's interesting to note that it's been almost a year since Fusion 9.02 was released, and since then not a peep. Unusual from a company that has been rolling out Resolve releases like there's no tomorrow.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this one - I'm remembering the long absence of Phrasefind.

I know we've both expressed our opinions about Blackmagic's motivation to fix this issue, but to me, it's a bad sign that there's not even been a point release of Fusion in the last eleven months. I know the bundled Fusion tab in Resolve isn't quite the same as the stand-alone, but all of the software development seems to directed to improving Resolve and it's Fusion tab. With these sorts of priorities at Blackmagic HQ, I don't see a bright future for Fusion Connect. Even if they were (finally) to fix things, what's to say a newer version MC wouldn't break the plugin again?

If they were to start charging for the plugin, then I could see some motivation for devoting resources into development - similar to what happened when Phrasefind returned. As customers, Blackmagic would have an obligation to support the products they sell, but Fusion Connect was an old plugin that Eyeon developed which Blackmagic inherited when they aquired Fusion. Apart from a few differences in the format of the exported clips, there has not been any real development since the Eyeon days.

As I mentioned previously, I think the way they're pushing Resolve as a one-stop solution for content creators, I imagine there's no way they want to encourage people to consider a MC-Fusion workflow over Resolves Edit & Fusion tabs.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 7:05 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,611
    • Points 60,255

Bruno M:

...If they were to start charging for the plugin, then I could see some motivation for devoting resources into development...

To get the full functionality of the plugin, you need to purchase Fusion Studio (which cost $999 USD at the time I purchased it). I'd say this was motivation enough.

No - BMD has clearly other plans and I'm afraid that we may be out of luck.

No word from Avid support on this either.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Nov 25 2018 9:31 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

As a quick update to this topic...

Just reading a thread on LiftGammaGain called 'Fusion standalone a thing still?' and there's a post by Vivek where he says...

"I met one of the developers from BMD at a conference and he said their goal is to fully integrate Fusion into Resolve and chances of a standalone Fusion in the future are slim"

Another (possible) nail in the coffin for Edit Connect?

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:19 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,611
    • Points 60,255

Yes - there seems to be no shortage of reports that some unnamed source from BMD mentioned that Fusion standalone will be replaced by the fully integrated version. If you go over to the Fusion formum at BMD you will see a few threads discussing this. The general consensus from those who use Fusion as VFX artists is that there is no way that a fully integrated Fusion can replace the standalone Fusion simply because of the performance hit of Fusion inside Resolve (even if all other features were added). Plus, the Fusion UI in Resolve is quite clunky compared to that in Fusion standalone (apparently - again, from folks who have been using Fusion for 15 years doing real VFX work).

My guess is that Avid is not responding to this thread any longer because they too are being stonewalled by BMD (or at least have become privy to inside knowledge that BMD is a minimum undecided as to Fusion standalone's future).

Sad

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Nov 27 2018 2:54 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

BarkinMadd:
    The general consensus from those who use Fusion as VFX artists is that there is no way that a fully integrated Fusion can replace the standalone Fusion simply because of the performance hit of Fusion inside Resolve (even if all other features were added).
    Underlying this is another issue.  At the moment, professional tools appear often to be in the process of becoming swiss army knives.  In the same way that I wouldn't use a swiss army knife to prepare a meal or build a house, I would prefer not to have general purpose post tools.

In my working life I have done my fair share of VFX work.  For that I prefer dedicated VFX tools.  For the same reason that I use dedicated NLEs, I would prefer not to used BMD's offering as a one stop post production tool.  I think that their NLE is pretty abysmal anyway, I prefer professional sound engineers to do my mixes with the tools that they want to use, and when colourgrading is required, prefer that to happen in a controlled environment by someone with a much better eye than I have.

But that's just me.  Unfortunately I can understand the pressure on companies like BMD from the gamer and Youtube end of the market.  Hobbyists want their tools to cover everything, and they rate the quality of a post tool by how well it does that.  What it comes down to is that manufacturers in my opinion will have to decide whether they want to appeal to the hobbyist market (who usually want everything free anyway) or the professional market.  If the rumours about Fusion are true, it looks like BMD have already made that decision.  Pity.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:19 PM In reply to

• Trensharo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 60

Blackmagic isn't feeling any pressure from the Gamera nd YouTube end of the market, because they aren't really targetting that end of hte market.  Their product just happens to be suitable for a lot of people in that market, and the aggressive pricing doesn't hurt, either.

At the Free Tier, Resolve out-features traditionally strong players in the lower-mid range of the market, like VEGAS Pro and HitFilm.

At its paid Tier, it's too cheat for cash strapped content creators to ignore.  On Windows, it's moving into a position similar to Final Cut Pro X on macOS.

The point of integrating all those modules into Resolve isn't for them to be 100% replacements for standalone apps out of the gate.  It also isn't so that feature film editors can play around in the Color, Fusion, or Fairlight tabs.

The way they explain it, different people would use different modules, but still collaborate using shared storage and a project server.

This design just so happens to be popular with Content Creators and Gamers because those people don't have "other people" to do the other work for them, and it's more economical to do it in Resolve [Studio] for $0-299 vs. paying $19.99-52.99/mo. to get the same job done elsewhere (or racking up a ton of license costs trying to throw together your own "cheaper Creative Cloud" - not to mention the workflow implications of that).

Blackmagic is plyaing the long game.  They don't expect to be there yet.  They're still on the way.

For Gamers and Content Creators, even Free Resolve is often a massive upgrade over what they were using before finding it.  Context and Situational Awareness helps to explain that "phenomenon."

BMD isn't really targetting that market...  They are just getting it for free by virtue of the product and pricing they have on offer.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller