Latest post Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:48 PM by Jessica Weiner. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:42 PM

segment dragging in timeline annoyingly dynamic

I recently updated to 8.9.4. There seems to be a new way that segment mode operates in the timeline by dynamically showing what will happen with your clip as you move it. I sort of see how this might be useful, but I often place my blue indicator (or a mark in or mark out) where I want to move a clip to and use that as a guide. It's impossible to do that now. I'm moving lots of clips that look fairly similar so even with showing head and tail frames of the new location it's more confusing than if I could just drag to a fixed spot that I've marked as the correct place. Is there a timeline or segment drag setting to fix this? I can't find anything about it anywhere. Thanks!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7,32 GB memory 2400 MHz DDDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics card, Media Composer 8.9.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 6:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: segment dragging in timeline annoyingly dynamic

Jessica....

What version did you come from?  Here is a list of all the new features from MC 8.x to 2018.7

In 8.9.4 there were some segement mapping changes...  

Mappable Segment Preview Button

Mapping Bin Fast Menu Commands to the Keyboard

Features Doc attached above

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 6:40 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply, Marianna!

Not sure what I upgraded from, but thanks to your attached notes I was able to figure out what I don't like is called "Live Timeline Dragging" added in version 8.5. For editors who prefer the old behavior it can be changed in timeline settings/display tab by checking "wireframe dragging" 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7,32 GB memory 2400 MHz DDDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics card, Media Composer 8.9.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 8:36 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 478
    • Points 5,925
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi Jessica,

Try selecting 'Wireframe Dragging' on the Display tab of Timeline Settings. Should make it work the 'old' way.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:48 PM In reply to

Thanks, MikeyB

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller