Latest post Wed, Aug 1 2018 10:09 AM by Michael Freedman. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 2:52 PM

See all edits in a bin

Hi all,

I am about to start an animated show and I would like to find a way to see all the edits of a sequence in a bin sequentially and then export the bin information as a Tab Delimited file into excel. I think this will come in very useful for getting information over to our VFX house. I can export the Tab Delimited file ok but I am struggling to find a method to extract all the clips into a bin.

I have tried Show reference clips but that doesn't do what I want as it only show the master clips that I am working from, in this instance I am only working from one master clip, but there are 10 individual cuts sperated out over sequence so I want to see those ten separated edits as clips in a bin. 

EDL isn't useful as I have a lot of different columns in the bin that I need to import into my excel spreadsheet and this can't be replicated in an EDL. I will use EDL for my pull list.

Decompose should work perfectly, in theory (with frame handles set to '0' and 'Expert Decompose > display clips' ticked) however I've come against a bump with this method. Out of ten edits on my timeline only eight are extracted into the bin as clips - and it seems that the two clips that are not separated out in the bin are actually in the bin but joined together with another two clips - so as an example, the first two edits on my timeline are joined as one clip when decomposed. I have noticed that the TC at the tail of the first edit is 15:22:43:03 and the timecode at the head of the second edit is 15:22:43:04, this is the same thing as the other two edits that got joined together into one clip (not exactly the same timecode but tc at tail and tc at head of the two clips were only one frame apart) As a note, there is blank timeline space between these edits on my timeline.

Does anyone know if this is why decompose won't split these clips out? Is it a bug? When I trim the clips so they aren't one frame apart decompose separates out all ten clips and the method is perfect for what I need, so it's really frustrating that I can't figure this problem out. If anyone has any solutions to solving this problem I would be most grateful! Or indeed another workflow that would be great!

Thanks so much,

Michael

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,206
    • Points 218,100
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: See all edits in a bin

what version of MC are you on Michael?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:49 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna, thanks for your response - I'm on version 8.8.1

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:55 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 478
    • Points 5,925
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

How about exporting the sequence as AAF - does that give you the metadata you need?

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 8:20 PM In reply to

Unfortunately not as I don't want to create any new media so choosing the 'link to' option only creates a duplicate of the sequence not any clips

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 8:01 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 478
    • Points 5,925
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I haven't used Decompose for a very long time - as I'm sure you know, its purpose in life is the creation of a Batch Capture list for reconforming a Time line from Videotape. As such, I think it's probably working as designed, unfortunately for you. At the moment I'm stumped, but I'll keep thinking!

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 10:09 AM In reply to

A potential work around that I have found is to export subclips from the sequence into the bin, hide anything that is not a subclip and then export TabD file. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller