Latest post Fri, Sep 14 2018 4:01 PM by cls105. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 25 2018 4:26 AM

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 295
    • Points 3,900

Rendering needs hyper threading like ama export and transcoding.

win10, mc 2018.8, 1080ti, 128gb ram, 7820x cpu (but also own a 7940x)

I always get 100% cpu usage across 14cores with ama export and transcoding (love that!)

Rendering on the other hand doesnt seem to use the cpu as well..  I am still trying to dial in some settings and it does look like im getting better performance but there still seems to be room for improvement.

When rendering and I have the console open I keep seeing

DIDWriter::DoSDKHWEncodeForCapture - SDK HW encode disabled

What does that mean?  And also

Is there more gpu acelleration with 1080 project than uhd? Because I'm seeing a max render dimension in the console when i start MC

OpenGL implementation found:

vendor = NVIDIA Corporation

renderer = GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

version = 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77

This OpenGL implementation supports hardware texture render

maximum render dimensions: = 1920 x 1080 at 8 bits per pixel channel

Still curious about my questions above.  Ive been doing a little testing.  I don't think uhd gets the same gpu acceleration that 1080 does.  There are also major fluctuations on performance depending on whats being rendered, I wish there was a way to know what was being rendered so I can plan on what fx I use.   Im also no longer using same as source on render settings, switched setting to 8bit, using standard vs advanced quality rendering.  I disabled hyperthreading since it clearly doesnt help rendering. That also lets me overclock higher to 4.7ghz (noctua air cooled) on a 8 core 7820x.  Any other suggestions?  I am curious to know what a qualified quadro would do for my rendering performance.  Im using 10gbe storage which gets 800mb/s r/w with blackmagic speedtest.

diy 14 core x299 7940x, asus strix x299-e gaming, w10 (1703) mc 2018.9, 128gb ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 25 2018 7:50 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 295
    • Points 3,900

Re: Rendering needs hyper threading like ama export and transcoding.

Some of what I said was incorrect.  My 1080ti gpu is definitely working with UHD renders

My settings now for the best RENDER performance in UHD is now:

Disabling hyper-threading in bios.  Which I think has allowed a higher CPU overclock.  However I think hyperthreading is good for ama export and transcoding.

Render settings: gpu enabled

Media Creation Render Settings : standard quality, 8bit, and selecting a resolution (dnxhr_lb in my case).

What I've noticed is. When clips/effects being rendered use the GPU then CPU core usage is also maximized.

When GPU not being used on many of these clips/effects, then cpu usage drops to 30%.  This is what doesn't make sense to me.  If GPU isnt being used, thats when cpu is needed most.

I'm hardly using 3rd party plugins.  I am mainly rendering timewarps (including some fluidmotion), Avid Pan and Zoom, and have lower resolution dnx_hr/different fps Archival footage in this UHD timeline.  I am not a fan of background rendering because it seems to give more errors.  If optimizing these effects for GPU acceleration is too complicated, I feel like being able to render multiple clips at a time rather than one by one sequentialy could speed up these long timeline renders.

Also, There should be a list of effects that are optimized for gpu/cpu usage.  I have a feeling timwarp fluidmotion and avid pan and zoom are not gpu optimized and therefore render at 30%.  I wonder if promoting the timewarp helps this or not.

A thumbnail preview of whats being rendered or more info in the console while rendering would help figure out these optimizations.

Anyway. Just some thoughts on rendering when I should be editing.

diy 14 core x299 7940x, asus strix x299-e gaming, w10 (1703) mc 2018.9, 128gb ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 14 2018 4:01 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 295
    • Points 3,900

Re: Rendering needs hyper threading like ama export and transcoding.

These render speeds are excruciating.

Avid has really nailed down transcoding with hyperthreading...  But renders use a fraction of my cpu's power.

dying for this to improve.

7940x, 1080ti, win10, I have a session later today and im already using 2018.9.

Takes so long to render uhd timeline.  There should be an option to render multiple layers simeltaneously, or a # of fx simeltaneoulsy.  My processor is bored just waiting for avid to feed it fx to render.  And yes I render as I work but sometimes one has to render the entire timeline.

Selling 8k or 16k (I lose track) and not haveing hyperthreading for all fx/rendering is insane.  Its like selling an exotic sports car with a slow engine.  The engine or whats under the hood, has to match the exterior/features.

Sorry I'm being tough but I love MC!!!  Really liking 2018.8..9..etc. but Rendering a complete uhd timeline... my lord does it crawl.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller