Latest post Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:27 PM by Todd H. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:08 PM

• Todd H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Mansfield, Texas
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,430

HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

Hi, so I keep having constant crashes, usually when I first turn on my pc.  I have been battling this for over a year and simply have had enough.  I have been unable to find a solution.  My pc will just crash and restart.  I have checked the error logs and its always the same power error.  I changed out the psu....I even changed my mobo and cpu last year.....nothing solves this issue and I can not find anyone or anything online that solves the issue.

So I am just going to start from scratch here. I am going to use windows 10 64 bit...I have been using windows 7 64 bit.  I have never had a single issue with Avid, Photoshop, after effects etc.  Is this smart to build with 10?  Seems like it is time to do this.  I use 10 on my normal pc in my house and have zero issues so I am assuming Avid is cool with 10 by this point.

So I am looking for reccomendations for MOBO, CPU, GPU, Hard Drives, PSU, Ram and Case.  Not sure if I am going to use any of my existing parts except maybe my drives.  I currently use two Raid 0 2 tb, 1tb boot drive sata 3 and have a blu ray drive.   

I use to use videoguys as a baseline for what to build and they seem to have gotten out of the buisness of reccomending builds.  I am a freelancer and have worked as an assistant editor for a tv show for the last 9 years and now that has essentially come to an end because of a lack of sponsors.  So I need to be able to do edit anything thrown my way going forward.  Not raw 8k files or anything extreme like that however.

So I am open to any ideas others have and am interested in your builds.  It seems AMD Ryzen, a 1060 and 32 gb ram seems to be a constant I keep reading about in regards to this.

thanks in advance to anyone who responds I look forward to your recommendations.

Todd

Windows 7 Pro 64bit asus p6t deluxe v2 pny nvidia quadro fx 1800 Corsair ddr3 12800 12 gb ram 1 seagate 1 TB 7200 rpm boot drive 2 Hitachi 1 TB 7200... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:54 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,420
    • Points 44,165
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

If you do a search here on the forums, you'll find other similar threads. Just a couiple of things to bear in mind. Avid only tests on Intel based CPUs, and NVidia based cards. If you're looking for a system guarenteed to work, there's a list of approved systems (all quite expensive but these are the systems that get tested).

Start with this thread here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180415/840558.aspx#840558

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:27 PM In reply to

• Todd H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Mansfield, Texas
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,430

Re: HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

Thank you for the link.  I have never built a computer with amd so I am glad to see its not an option really.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit asus p6t deluxe v2 pny nvidia quadro fx 1800 Corsair ddr3 12800 12 gb ram 1 seagate 1 TB 7200 rpm boot drive 2 Hitachi 1 TB 7200... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller