Latest post Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:27 PM by Todd H. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:08 PM

• Todd H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Mansfield, Texas
    • Posts 110
    • Points 1,445

HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

Hi, so I keep having constant crashes, usually when I first turn on my pc.  I have been battling this for over a year and simply have had enough.  I have been unable to find a solution.  My pc will just crash and restart.  I have checked the error logs and its always the same power error.  I changed out the psu....I even changed my mobo and cpu last year.....nothing solves this issue and I can not find anyone or anything online that solves the issue.

So I am just going to start from scratch here. I am going to use windows 10 64 bit...I have been using windows 7 64 bit.  I have never had a single issue with Avid, Photoshop, after effects etc.  Is this smart to build with 10?  Seems like it is time to do this.  I use 10 on my normal pc in my house and have zero issues so I am assuming Avid is cool with 10 by this point.

So I am looking for reccomendations for MOBO, CPU, GPU, Hard Drives, PSU, Ram and Case.  Not sure if I am going to use any of my existing parts except maybe my drives.  I currently use two Raid 0 2 tb, 1tb boot drive sata 3 and have a blu ray drive.   

I use to use videoguys as a baseline for what to build and they seem to have gotten out of the buisness of reccomending builds.  I am a freelancer and have worked as an assistant editor for a tv show for the last 9 years and now that has essentially come to an end because of a lack of sponsors.  So I need to be able to do edit anything thrown my way going forward.  Not raw 8k files or anything extreme like that however.

So I am open to any ideas others have and am interested in your builds.  It seems AMD Ryzen, a 1060 and 32 gb ram seems to be a constant I keep reading about in regards to this.

thanks in advance to anyone who responds I look forward to your recommendations.

Todd

Windows 10 pro 64 bit MSI x299 sli plus intel i7 7820x EVGA ge force 1060 G.Skill Ripjaws 31 gb 3200 ram Samsung 960 pro 512gb boot drive 4 tb toshiba... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:54 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,526
    • Points 45,360
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

If you do a search here on the forums, you'll find other similar threads. Just a couiple of things to bear in mind. Avid only tests on Intel based CPUs, and NVidia based cards. If you're looking for a system guarenteed to work, there's a list of approved systems (all quite expensive but these are the systems that get tested).

Start with this thread here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180415/840558.aspx#840558

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:27 PM In reply to

• Todd H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Mansfield, Texas
    • Posts 110
    • Points 1,445

Re: HI can I get some help with a new PC build for Avid MC

Thank you for the link.  I have never built a computer with amd so I am glad to see its not an option really.

Windows 10 pro 64 bit MSI x299 sli plus intel i7 7820x EVGA ge force 1060 G.Skill Ripjaws 31 gb 3200 ram Samsung 960 pro 512gb boot drive 4 tb toshiba... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller