Latest post Tue, Oct 2 2018 3:45 AM by Alayne Holmes. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:23 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,225
    • Points 15,420
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: eliminate interlace

Hmmm... Try again. The images are not coming through. Perhaps make them a different file type? Like a JPEG?

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:38 PM In reply to

• speran
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 7 2016
    • Posts 37
    • Points 485

is there any other way that I could send screenshots? cause I can't attach them in here

Pixel Monkey:

Hmmm... Try again. The images are not coming through. Perhaps make them a different file type? Like a JPEG?

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 1:45 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,225
    • Points 15,420

Sure. Email me directly. alwaysediting@yahoo.com. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,225
    • Points 15,420

Hi all. Attached here are screen grabs Sonia sent me (uploaded with her permission). 

These seem like standard SD "stair-stepping", and not artifacts. Probably caused by simply viewing low-res SD footage that is being up-sized to fit the HD raster. Agreed?

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,225
    • Points 15,420

And the other...

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 3:27 PM In reply to

• speran
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 485

isn't it caused by interlacing issue? because I view the time line in high res. the problem is the lines on the fabric roll the guy is carrying and other straight lines specially white lines all over the 4.3 images.

Pixel Monkey:

Hi all. Attached here are screen grabs Sonia sent me (uploaded with her permission). 

These seem like standard SD "stair-stepping", and not artifacts. Probably caused by simply viewing low-res SD footage that is being up-sized to fit the HD raster. Agreed?

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 4:09 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 44,745
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

speran:
    Probably caused by simply viewing low-res SD footage that is being up-sized to fit the HD raster. Agreed?

Agreed. If it were interlace issues, then you'd see alternating scan lines in the gentleman holding the rug. Speran, here's an example of an interlaced image:

(public domain image)

Notice the combing effect of the alternate scan lines. You may see this on even relatively slow moving objects (this example's rather extreme for emphasis).

(BTW, I posted a short tutorial, with images, on how to post images in the Getting Started forum, pinned to the top).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 4:40 PM In reply to

• speran
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 485

how can I see it in high resolution? by the way I have the same issue as you show in the picture as well.

DStone:

speran:
    Probably caused by simply viewing low-res SD footage that is being up-sized to fit the HD raster. Agreed?

Agreed. If it were interlace issues, then you'd see alternating scan lines in the gentleman holding the rug. Speran, here's an example of an interlaced image:

(public domain image)

Notice the combing effect of the alternate scan lines. You may see this on even relatively slow moving objects (this example's rather extreme for emphasis).

(BTW, I posted a short tutorial, with images, on how to post images in the Getting Started forum, pinned to the top).

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 7:17 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,225
    • Points 15,420

Sorry, there is no way to see it in a higher resolution than it is. If the image was captured by a camera shooting 720 pixels wide by 486 pixels high, then that's all you get. Those artifacts you are seeing are the actual interlaced pixels. They only become smoother when played. Stretching an SD image larger, over a 1920x1080 pixel canvas doesn't increase then number of pixels in the SD image. It simply makes the pixels larger. 

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 10 2018 8:25 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 44,745

To be honest, there's no really good way of getting rid of interlace. The best method is where the effect analyzes the even and odd lines, and then shifts left and right 1/2 the distance to bring the two into alignment. But even this isn't perfect if the motion varies over the course of 1 frame. And it requires analyzing every single frame as the motion may vary from frame to frame.

MC does something like this (and it may be that this is what it really does) when you use Adaptive Deinterlace Source on a timewarp. But it's time and resource intensive. However the results are generally pretty good. As to why you couldn't use it (as mentioned in your earlier post), here's the procedure in case you missed a step:

Promote the motion adapter on the clip in the sequence to a timewarp. Set it to Both Fields, input source Interlaced, output Progressive, and check the Adapter Deinterlace Source option. If you can't change it, right-click on the master clip in the bin and choose Get Info. Look at the Field Motion setting. It should say Interlaced.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 8:20 AM In reply to

• speran
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 485

thank you for your response. you mentioned that I should Promote the motion adapter on the clip in the sequence to a timewarp. Set it to Both Fields, input source Interlaced, output Progressive, and check the Adapter Deinterlace Source option.  could you please write me the steps on how to do that. Because when I do it it won't work. I'm thinking that I do something wrong. I always get the window filter does not apply.

DStone:

To be honest, there's no really good way of getting rid of interlace. The best method is where the effect analyzes the even and odd lines, and then shifts left and right 1/2 the distance to bring the two into alignment. But even this isn't perfect if the motion varies over the course of 1 frame. And it requires analyzing every single frame as the motion may vary from frame to frame.

MC does something like this (and it may be that this is what it really does) when you use Adaptive Deinterlace Source on a timewarp. But it's time and resource intensive. However the results are generally pretty good. As to why you couldn't use it (as mentioned in your earlier post), here's the procedure in case you missed a step:

Promote the motion adapter on the clip in the sequence to a timewarp. Set it to Both Fields, input source Interlaced, output Progressive, and check the Adapter Deinterlace Source option. If you can't change it, right-click on the master clip in the bin and choose Get Info. Look at the Field Motion setting. It should say Interlaced.

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 2:49 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 44,745

What are the results from Get Info on the clip in question? Also are there any other filters on that clip?

Dave S.

• Thu, Sep 13 2018 2:38 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,271
    • Points 39,695

speran:

thank you for your response. you mentioned that I should Promote the motion adapter on the clip in the sequence to a timewarp. Set it to Both Fields, input source Interlaced, output Progressive, and check the Adapter Deinterlace Source option.  could you please write me the steps on how to do that. Because when I do it it won't work. I'm thinking that I do something wrong. I always get the window filter does not apply.

I imagine you are getting this error because the source clip is an interlace clip in a progressive project.

Select the clip, click on the motion effect edit button (left side of the timeline), then click on the Promote button in the top of the motion effect edit window.  You should now be able to follow the suggestions give.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Oct 1 2018 1:27 PM In reply to

• speran
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 485

Hi everyone,

I was able to use the timewrao effect to deinterlace my footages but after I render the effect and I replay the clip the image stutters. is there a reason for that? how can I fix the problem?

thanks,

Sonia

• Tue, Oct 2 2018 2:11 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

Do you mean the motion does a dance of going forward and then a bit backward?

I am workung on a doc that has alot of mini dv footage that is interlaced.

The footage has the lower field first (that means the first bit of motion is captured in the second"lower field" and the next slice of time is captured in the first field, which is different to most other video codecs

Ive been scaling it up to HD re-encoding as DNX and de-interlacing in iFFmpeg before AMA linking in the avid.

here is an example of the original and the de-interlaced and the de-interlaced filter setting in iFFmpeg

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller