Latest post Fri, Sep 21 2018 4:44 PM by Job ter Burg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 19 2018 9:06 AM

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 26 2013
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Surround sound in edit suite

Hello,

It's probably a bad idea, but I was thinking of adding a hi-fi surround system in my editing suite.

At the moment I have a pair of studio monitors (Yamaha HS5). But for screenings, I would like to have surround sound. So I was thinking of using a home theatre receiver with some good hifi speakers (Monitor Audio 'Monitor series or Klipsch 'RP-250').

Another option would be to expand my Yamaha set with 3 extra speakers (HS8) and a subwoofer (HS8S). But how do you best connect those? It's probably not possible with just a receiver. Now I use a Blackmagic UltraStudio Express.

The advantage of using Hifi speakers is that they don't need to be switched on separately. 

But the question is mainly whether the sound will not become too colored, and therefore will not give a correct reproduction of the soundtrack.

What is the best hardware to switch between my 5.1 and 2.0 setup?

Thanks!

• Wed, Sep 19 2018 12:35 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Surround sound in edit suite

It depends on whether or not you're mixing or mastering. For mixing you tend to use flat response speakers. But for mastering you want to hear what it's going to sound like at the client's end, so you want a good set if hifi (audiophile level) speakers.

For me, I prefer to edit audio and video on components which are typical for my clients. I don't have a perfectly color calibrated reference monitor. I use a reasonably calibrated UHDTV typical of what an end user will have. My speakers are typical home theater speakers, which given that most of my clients are probably still using the speakers in their TVs is better than what they're really hearing.

If you're producing something for cinema, then that changes things a lot. That's where you need a color calibrated monitor, and speakers capable of accurately producing the highs and lows of a theater system.

If you've been editing in stereo, what is the purpose of adding the surround sound speakers? Do you have sufficient audio source to make surround sound editing worthwhile?

What is the end product you're producing? Event/corporate video, broadcast, cinema, etc.?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Sep 19 2018 1:22 PM In reply to

There's HT PreAmplifiers that have HDMI inputs and balanced XLR outputs. I use one as my 'monitor controller'. Audio in over HDMI, using the preamp for main volume as well as for lipsync delay.

Those preamps are not always cheap, but used ones can be had for a few hundred Euro's, and the older ones will suffice if you just need HDMI in and XLR out.

Would you cut/mix in 5.1 (I do that), or would you rather just add a ProLogic matrix decoding to your stereo mix?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 20 2018 8:52 AM In reply to

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

I'm editing for broadcast and cinema. I'm not mixing for final mastering, but of course I always do some temp mixing. And I would like to cut/mix in 5.1.

I would like to be able to switch easily between a stereo setup and a surround setup. Also for video monitoring it would be nice to be able to switch between my Eizo monitor and a projector.

Job ter Burg:

There's HT PreAmplifiers that have HDMI inputs and balanced XLR outputs. I use one as my 'monitor controller'. Audio in over HDMI, using the preamp for main volume as well as for lipsync delay.

Those preamps are not always cheap, but used ones can be had for a few hundred Euro's, and the older ones will suffice if you just need HDMI in and XLR out.

So According to you it's not a good idea to use Hi-fi speakers?

Wich preamp do you use? Or do you have any sugestions?

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 12:25 PM In reply to

PieterS:
    I would like to be able to switch easily between a stereo setup and a surround setup.

As in two different sets of speakers?

If not, you can simply set up 5.1 monitoring, and switch to stereo with a mouse click in MC's Mixer Output. MC will even fold down your 5.1 mix to LoRo (stereo) for you on the fly.

The idea is that you send either stereo signal or a 5.1 signal to the receiver over HDMI. Stereo would be L/R, 5.1 would need to be set to SMPTE order (in your Avid Mixer Output), which is L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs. No rewiring needed, as L and R stay on the same channels.

That said, you may need to be aware of the I/O device you use. My AJA T-TAP sends the 5.1/7.1 out correctly over HDMI, as do the Avid branded boxes as far as I know, but my BlackMagic Mini Monitor does not. It has Center and LFE flipped (as SDI has a different 5.1 channel order than HDMI). Same seemed to apply to any othe BlackMagic Design branded boxes.

PieterS:
    So According to you it's not a good idea to use Hi-fi speakers?
    Why would you? They won't match your other speakers, and that seems to me to already be problematic.

PieterS:
    Wich preamp do you use?

I run a Marantz AV8003. Other options would be the Marantz AV7005/8801/8802/7701/7702/7703, the Onlyo 5508 and 5509, which seem to be the same machines as the Integra 80.2 and 80.3. Yamaha has the CX-A5000 and CX-A5100. Some of these are older models.

I used to use a Denon A7100, but that would not accept the 7.1 signal my T-TAP and Nitris DX send out (even when monitoring 5.1), so I switched to the Marantz.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 20 2018 2:07 PM In reply to

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Thanks Job,

Job ter Burg:
    Why would you? They won't match your other speakers, and that seems to me to already be problematic.

True, if I use Hifi speakers, I can't use the Yamaha speakers anymore. But it's rather a budget issue. An amplifier that has XLR outputs just costs a lot more. 
    An other advantage is that passive speakers are easier to position in my room and they don't need to be switched on separately.

So that's why I was wondering if this was a good solution.

Do you use the Marantz also for video out?

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 3:34 PM In reply to

I actually don’t route the video through the Marantz because of some weirdness with color space settings when using my SDI -HDMI converter. 

Used, you can find those Marantz receivers for 400 euros or so.

If you prefer passive speakers for ease, I’d recommend trying to find passive pro monitors rather than anything hifi.

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 4:04 PM In reply to

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Okay thanks a lot for the advice.

For other people looking for used audio gear, I just found some things here: https://www.hifishark.com/

What do you use for your video then? Do you have audio delay? And if so, is it easy to adjust?

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 8:22 PM In reply to

The Marantz has a very simple to use LipSync feature. So I've measured the delay of my OLED screen (using a Sync-One-2) and then set the delay for audio (in the Marantz) and source/record monitor (in the Console) accordingly.

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 8:55 PM In reply to

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Ok, now this is really off topic, but do you prefer a OLED screen over a projector?

• Fri, Sep 21 2018 4:44 PM In reply to

Yes, because I don't want to work in a dark room all day. I've considered adding a projection screen (as fellow editors have done), but I never really do screenings in the cutting room, I prefer going to an actual screening room with a Barco/Sony/NEC DCI projector.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller