Latest post Fri, Nov 8 2019 2:35 PM by BenoitM. 32 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 6:26 PM In reply to

Re: Two Avid Generic Plug-Ins competing to link A7s footage

Hello there, any answer to this yet? I got some Iphone Footage to transcode and Avid gives me two codec options, one is teh Avid Generic and the second is Quicktime and H264. which one do I need to link and transcode to in order to do it properly, also for online? Thanks a lot. 

• Fri, Nov 8 2019 1:08 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,686
    • Points 47,305
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

insch:
    Those versions of the clips are one frame longer than the 'Avid Generic 2.6' plug-in versions of the same clip.
    I documented the 1-frame off error in the Generic plug-in quite a long time ago (it showed up when linking using QT vs. linking with the generic plug-in for XAVC-S media). If they fixed the plug-in to account for the frame error, then older media won't relink with the newer plug-in as it's all off by 1 frame, and if the length doesn't match up it won't relink.

For myself I'm going to switch to either the Nablet plug-in or the Drastic.TV plug-in (this one says it supports HEVC as well).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Nov 8 2019 2:35 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,230
    • Points 14,735

Avid Generic with H.264 is faster (playback, transcode) than QuickTime, but, beside the relink problem just described, there is also, at least from my own testing, a subtle quality problem with the Avid Generic that does not exist with QT. One of the symptoms is more banding in subtle tone gradations, due to uneven levels mapping (I've an outstanding case for this). So I use one or the other depending if I need speed or quality Wink

MC 2018.12.7 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller