Latest post Wed, Oct 17 2018 2:32 AM by amythystj. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 11 2018 1:56 AM

• amythystj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2018
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

failed install? "The application Avid Media Composer has quit unexpectedly"

When I realized First wouldn't do what I wanted, I decided to test out the trial. Initially I forgot to uninstall First, and Media Composer wouldn't download. So I clicked the uninstall folders, then installed Media Composer and thought everything was fine. But it won't open. I have a MacOS, 10.13.6, in good condition (knock on wood).

I tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling. I tried opening the FatalError folders but when I opened the documents, they appreared to be blank.

Just now I found 2 folders in Applications Support with Avid file names that I'm deleting, and any other files I can find with "Avid" in the name.

Is there anything else you suggest?

• Thu, Oct 11 2018 5:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: failed install? "The application Avid Media Composer has quit unexpectedly"

Amythystj

Try the following:   

Delete the folder in bold below:

HD/Library/Caches/Avid/AppManager/Cache

HD/Library/Caches/Avid/AppManager/Db

HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Licenses

Now try it

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 11 2018 11:52 PM In reply to

• amythystj
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked in those places and in others (like preferences) and deleted whatever AVID files I could find. Then I downloaded it again and it restarted my computer. The Media Composer sent a message about downloading something else, I did. Then I opened it. AND... I got the same message.

If you have additional suggestions, that would be awesome.

If not, I may just be part of Download-Darwinism: survival of the fittest.

• Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

what EXACT OS?  what Exact computer specifications?  And where did you install MC - internal drive - external drive etc..

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

• amythystj
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi Marianna, It's Mac OS High Sierra, 10.13.6 Please forgive my ignorance - if there are more specifications, what would they look like? I downloaded it directl

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 2:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

You should be using 2018.9 of MC iin trial mode which you can get off the DL center.

Computer: Avid-qualified Apple computers
    Memory: 16GB minimum.  32 (or more) recommended.
    See Feature Performance page for more info.
    Mac OS Compatibility Grid

OS: Mac OS X High Sierra (10.13.x), Sierra (10.12.x), El Capitan (10.11.x)

Processor:

➢ Intel quad-core i7 or Intel Quad Core Xeon (with Turbo boost – 8 virtual CPU cores) – 2.3 Ghz or higher➢ Memory:

page4image12088page4image12248page4image12408page4image12568page4image12728

More is better (see Media Cache settings in MC)
    8 GB RAM minimum
    16+ GB RAM minimum required to support Media Composer | Cloud, background transcoding/render, Dynamic Media Folders,

full-frame stereoscopic 3D, FrameFlex 4K workflows, Raw format AMA plug-ins, Long GOP media editing, and other high- performance workflows

page4image16056

RAM listed is what Avid tested as part of the qualification process. Adding more memory is supported as long as it adheres to the manufacturers recommendation

➢ Graphics card1:
    NVIDIA GeForce family, Intel on chip graphics, ATI Radeon or AMD Radeon ProGraphics and driver must be supported by Apple

page4image19920

➢ Internal hard drive:
    Minimum 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA drive or 256 GB SSD

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 17 2018 2:32 AM In reply to

• amythystj
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

To clarify: I first downloaded Avid Media Composer First. It worked fine, but it didn't seem to have what I needed for captions. It worked fine on this computer. Then I forgot to uninstall it before I downloaded the free trial that I got off the DL center.

I have 16 GB, Max OS High Sierra with 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. I have 16GB Memory. It should be able to handle the full free version. Again, it handled First.

So. If you have further suggestions, that would be great. If not, are you the person that can help me cancel? I really don't want to get charged in a few weeks for a program that simply won't run on my computer.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller