Latest post Sat, Nov 3 2018 11:00 AM by MikeyB. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 28 2018 9:43 AM

in-out point add edit.. playhead

Hi 

If I zoom way in, the blue playhead is like double with 1 frame apart..there's a right side slightly dimmer than the left side... Not sure the reason for this, in the first place. Anyone know why it is that way.. and the benefit? it's definetely by desgn

if I then make an out point at a cut, I have to use the "right" side of the playhead, in order to have it be excast at the cut. If I then make an add edit at that chosen out point, the add edit chooses the "left" side of the playhead, so that the add edit point is 1 frame before the out point...

what's the genious about this? is there a setting that I dont know off. it's crazy annoying.

Best Ulrich     

Media Composer 2018.12.2 Mac Pro, late 2013, 2.7 GHZ 12 Core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB 1867 Mhz DDR3 memory AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 28 2018 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: in-out point add edit.. playhead

It’s the traditional inclusive Mark Out (film and Avid style) versus Exclusive Mark Out (video/EDL). Park on a frame, mark in, mark out, and you will have selected a duration of one frame. This is also what the zoomed in position bar is showing you.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/27275/159317.aspx#159317

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 29 2018 11:32 AM In reply to

thanks for taking the time to answer... and yes I realize that. I have no problem with that, at such... not being a tecnical wizzard.

however, I'd still like my add edit point to appear at the marked out point - and not have the add edit point be 1 frame before the selected out point... isnt that why you pick an out point? 

but I'm willing to learn. Why would I pick an out point and have the add edit point be one frame before, I dont understand the benefit of that. Or the design of that, other than this being annoying. Talking from a short cut perspective.     

I know everytime i can try and remember to move the playhead one frame, before hitting my add edit short cut key, but that just seems somewhat clunky  

is this a setting I can turn off?      

Media Composer 2018.12.2 Mac Pro, late 2013, 2.7 GHZ 12 Core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB 1867 Mhz DDR3 memory AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 29 2018 11:39 AM In reply to

Ulrich Thomsen:
    is this a setting I can turn off?  

No, it's not. It's the way it works.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 3:32 PM In reply to

it’s a setting in some finishing NLE’s I think. Not in MC, though.

what I don’t get is why you would make an add edit AND a Mark Out.

Also, if you work with add edits and need to mark betwen them, check out the Mark Clip button, as that sets In and Out Marks on the nearest segment boundaries.

You may also want to check out Alt-Cmd clicking on cuts (either segment starts or end, or add edits), as that parks your blie cursor on the last frame of the segment (so before the cut, not after it).

other than that, for now, I fear it’s something you will have to get used to, as I haven’t heard too many people complain about this functionality, so I doubt it’s going to change any time soon.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 29 2018 5:10 PM In reply to

i'll fit a grade or something on another track that fits the lenght of that paticular clip. choose clip, hit T . then hit "go to" out point, and hit add edit. that add edit is one frame before the out point...      

NOT the in point though . the add edit cut is on the in point. Like it should be. So that one is fine..   

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:32 PM In reply to

Why not hit FFWD (>>) in stead of GoTo Out? That would take you to the point where you want to add an edit (depending a little on your settings. 

Also, if you cmd-park at in, add edit, cmd-park at next cut, add edit, you’re also there. 

With alt + add edit you can even add edits on all tracks where there’s only filler at that particular point in your timeline.

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 10:13 PM In reply to

maybe you're a bit more into the program than me...  I have an Avid logic keybord. Q and W takes me to in and out. i have F3 for add edit..

the FFWD im not sur what is. as well as cmd-park. Are you able to explain that further.. I'm sure it's pretty simple.

You mean not have an in and out point showing... just go to the cut. Would doubt that changes anything.. not in front of comouter right now.    

all I know is, if I hit W to go to my out point, and hit F3 for add edit. it adds the edit 1 frame before the out point. Not the in point. add edit cuts at the in point            

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 11:01 PM In reply to

CMD-park: if you hold command and drag your position bar through the timeline, it will 'snap' to the cuts (head frames).

ALT-CMD-park: if you hold ALT+command and drag your position bar through the timeline, it will 'snap' to the last frame before each cut (tail frames). <- this is probably precisely what you do NOT want to do, by the way.

The Fast Forward (FFWD) and Rewind (RWD) buttons have been renamed in 8.9.4, sorry for calling them by their old names. They are now called "Go To Next Event" and "Go To Previous Event" and are located in the Command Palette under the Move tab.

So rather than Go To Out, use Go To Next Event. If you like, you can remap your 'Go To Next Trim' and 'Go To Previous Trim' buttons (probably under A and S on your keyboard now).

In 'Composer Settings', in the Move tab, you can change the behavior of these Go To Next/Previous Event buttons: whether or not they should take into account selected tracks, whether or not to stop at tail frames (the latter is probably precisely what you do NOT want to happen).

See http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNewMCFirst_v8.9.4.pdf

Ulrich Thomsen:
    all I know is, if I hit W to go to my out point, and hit F3 for add edit. it adds the edit 1 frame before the out point. Not the in point. add edit cuts at the in point  

Yes, that is expected behavior (it brings you to the frame that has the Mark Out), and if that bothers you, as I wrote, it might help to find a different way to go about what you are trying to achieve. I'm suggesting you're hitting the wrong buttons for your purpose.

So in the example of adding edits to filler for a color correction on a higher layer, you would either

A. CMD-drag the postion bar to the start of the clip on V1 and add edit on V2, then CMD-drag the postion bar to the end of the clip on V1 and add edit on V2.

or

B. Hit Go To Previous Event, Add Edit to V2, then hit Go To Next Event, Add Edit to V2. No need to Mark clip or anything.

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:38 AM In reply to

thanks for the in dept explanation

the CMD drag i use all the time..  that will actually cut the add edit at the cut point.. both in and out . which is probably the best way to do it. Ony it involes the mouse and dragging... and I like shortcuts... (I do like my visible in and out points too.. if I look away for a second, or something... )  

the, go to next event, and go to next trim A and S on keyboard, I never use, as I have no idea how the software thinks in that regard... I hit A and t goes to the next trim, I guess. I hit A again and it jumps several clips and chooses, what seems to me as being a random clip further down the timeline. same with go to next event - just skips several clips . Sometimes it's the next event or clip.. Maybe I just dont know what an event is.      

however, the above is when audio tracks are selected with a V track, which they usually are. ... if only a V track is slected, or Audio track individually, then it jumps from clip to clip... but before I have deceleted audio and selected a V track, I have CMD + dragged the playhead 10 times... if you know what I mean.      

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:47 AM In reply to

Ulrich Thomsen:

the, go to next event, and go to next trim A and S on keyboard, I never use, as I have no idea how the software thinks in that regard... I hit A and t goes to the next trim, I guess. I hit A again and it jumps several clips and chooses, what seems to me as being a random clip further down the timeline. same with go to next event - just skips several clips . Sometimes it's the next event or clip.. Maybe I just dont know what an event is.      

however, the above is when audio tracks are selected with a V track, which they usually are. ... if only a V track is slected, or Audio track individually, then it jumps from clip to clip... but before I have deceleted audio and selected a V track, I have CMD + dragged the playhead 10 times... if you know what I mean.    

The "go to" behavior depends on what tracks are active/inactive. Personally, I find it to be easier to go to Composer Settings > Move Tab and turn on "Ignore Track Selectors". With this setting enabled, the Go To Next Event command will stop at every edit regardless if the edit's track is active or not.

So in your scenario of adding edits for color correction the steps would be:

1. Go to Next Event

2. Add edit

I hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 9:12 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

In 'Composer Settings', in the Move tab, you can change the behavior of these Go To Next/Previous Event buttons: whether or not they should take into account selected tracks, whether or not to stop at tail frames (the latter is probably precisely what you do NOT want to happen).

See http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNewMCFirst_v8.9.4.pdf

play with those settings until you’re happy with their behavior.

also, if you want to eliminate keystrokes and mouse usage, you can map things like ‘Deselect All Tracks’.

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 9:14 AM In reply to

P.S. Go To Next Trim goes to the very next cut point, while entering Trim Mode. Go To Next Event goes to the very next cut point without entering Trim Mode.

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 10:52 PM In reply to

yes Iam aware 

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 10:54 PM In reply to

i have mapped deselect all tracks. 

Ill play around with it.. .thanks for the help 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller