Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2018 7:06 PM by ebweller. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 28 2018 5:02 PM

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 28 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Losing my mind!

So i just purchased and downloaded Avid Media Composer perpetual.  I installed it.  When i try to open it, a window tells me "current license has no expiration date" and that i should update it.  

I can only quit, or go to Avid support.  I follow all the instructions on the support page - nothing works.  I still get the same window when i try to start the program.

I tried phoning support, but when the lady asks me to enter my system ID, she says "That system ID is not sound" - why?  It's the one they gave me!  I do it again and agina in case im hitting worng numbers.... no dice.

So i start losing my mind and drop $50 to get a special ticket to get support thinking i could call them today.  Nope.  Doesn't work.

On top of all this, the Application manager just stays 'initializing' and never actually opens.  I read all the forums and do all the steps - nothing works.

Its been a terrible experience.  I'm a FCPX user.  I'm not used to all these steps you need to go through just use software.  

I have a new macbook pro, High Sierra 10.13.6

What am i doing wrong?

• Sun, Oct 28 2018 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: Losing my mind!

Hi,

You should send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com) and Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  They are Avid's customer advocates, and are good at solving problems when you can't get anywhere with Support.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:07 AM In reply to

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

So i sent an email, but got no reply.

So even though Avid Media Composer says it comes with "Unlimited online technical support, billing and account help, with up to one business day response time​," i had to buy (for $56.00 cdn) an Avid support code just to be able to talk to someone.

I finally get through and the nice man tells me he's not the right guy to talk to, but someone will call me back today.

Guess what?  No-one calls me back.

So do i have to pay another $56 to phone them back?  Is anyone ever going to call me?

Why couldn't the guy on the phone help me out and have to pass it off to someone else?  Why is my system ID 'unsound'? Did I do something wrong?  That's the only number they gave me - why won't it work?  

I just want to try out the software i bought.  This is crazy!

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 6:43 AM In reply to

When you phone support, there should be an option to get help with activation issues - it is supposed to be the 2nd option in the phone menu - and you are not supposed to be charged for that. It is supposed to get you to a support rep who can help with activation/license problems.

Is that happening in your case?

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 7:56 AM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,703
    • Points 18,755
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you for sending this one to me Carl.

@ebweller I sent you an email.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:13 PM In reply to

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Thanks for your help.   I plugged in those temporary codes but  now I get.
    exception: sys_error, OSErr:-5000​ I tried restarting - same thing.  Application manager still hangs on 'initializing.' I've uninstalled my anti-virus software, I've removed and then re-added application manager and appman helper to the list of 'allow incoming connection' and tried uninstalling and re-installing everything several times.  I've deleted license files, etc. and followed every forum's instructions I could find.
  • Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:24 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Avid Media Composer
    If the following folders have read and write access but if the issue persists, please proceed to the next steps below.
    --> Repair Disk Permissions via the Disk Utility
    --> Check the permissions of items in your home folder.  For your guidance, please see the link below for the Mac Documentation guide for more information.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Marianna
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 2:11 PM In reply to

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

​Thanks.

I have OS High Sierra so there is no way to repair permission using disc utility.  I ran ONYX instead.

I checked the permissions and made everything read and write.

It crashes during startup every time, looks like it crashes while trying to install plugins...

I still can't use the program.

Eric

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 5:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Eric,  

Go to MacintoshHD > Library > Application Support > Plug-in's

What exactly is in there?

Go to MacintoshHD > Library > Application Support > AVX Plug-in's

What exactly is in there?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 7:06 PM In reply to

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Hello. Thanks for your time. The extra $$$ paid support finally got back (Miguel) to me and did something at their end so now I can use the program using my original ID # and activation number.   However, the application manager still never stops initializing.  Will this be a problem for me?  If I call for support in the future, will my original system ID be good?  I had to pay for extra support because regular support said my system id 'was not sound.' - Is it sound now? Why does the application manager keep initializing?   Do I even need to have an app manager?  I'm worried after all I've been through things still are still not working as they should and I'm going to have issues in the future.  I'm scared to start a serious project. Do you still need to know what's in those folders?  It's not crashing anymore. Eric
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller