Latest post Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:59 PM by vamvax. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 29 2018 1:20 PM

• vamvax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Greece
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,155

Connecting DVCPRO XLR to Avid Adrenaline

Hello! There is some old DVCPRO 25 footage that I have to capture using a deck with only analog outputs (component - XLR) and an Avid Adrenaline. It's been a very long time since I've done this and I had to connect everything from the start, everything is working, but it seems I'm missing the audio cable that connects analog audio to the Adrenaline, wich is a DB25 to 4XLR + 4 RCA if I'm not mistaken. I don't see any other analog audio input in the Adrenaline apart from the DB25. So, the question is if there is any other way apart from this input to pass my audio in sync with the video from the DVCPRO to the Adrenaline.

Otherwise, I have found this cable online, which is not the same as the one I see in the manual, would this cable work?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/avid_db25_xlr_mf_aes_ebu_4.htm?sid=f1f16315d0f0d114a658bc49968bde1f

I would really prefer a workaround if it exists, because at this point I can't spare the money for a cable.

Thank you!

Yiannis

Avid Media Composer [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:04 PM In reply to

Re: Connecting DVCPRO XLR to Avid Adrenaline

Is there a firewire port on the rear of the DVC Pro deck?  Use that to get deck control, audio and video and timecode.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:09 PM In reply to

I would use SDI. That will contain audio and video. Firewire capture is notoriously unstable.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:47 PM In reply to

• vamvax
    • Not Ranked
    • Greece
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,155

Thanks for the answers, but that's the problem, the deck I have only has component and composite outputs for video and analog XLR and RCA for audio, so I'm stuck with that.

I think I found a workaround using a standalone M-AUDIO sound card that I have in which I will connect the DVCPRO XLRs and take an SPDIF output to the Adrenaline from there. Will let you know how this goes soon!

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 2:25 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 178
    • Points 1,925

Which deck is it?

There are more than one "standard" when connecting analog audio to DB25 so it's not certain that the cable from Thomann will work. If you can solder - and find the pin specification - it could be relatively easy to make a cable for just a stereo pair yourself.

Alternatively the Adrenaline has digital inputs, right? A converter from analog stereo to digital SPDIF might be easier?

EDIT: I can see you got the same idea while I wrote my anwser ;-)

Media Composer 8.2.11 (some with Symphony option) - Windows 7 - HP Z420/Z820 (Nitris DX), Lenovo W540 etc. - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:59 PM In reply to

• vamvax
    • Not Ranked
    • Greece
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,155

The workaround worked, so in case anyone is interested, I connected the deck to the analog component in on the Adrenaline for the video and then I connected the deck's xlr analog audio out to an M-AUDIO Fast Track Pro card which works as a standalone and doesn't have to be connected to the computer and from the Fast Track pro SPDIF out to the Adrenaline SPDIF in, this way using the Fast Track Pro as an analog to digital converter. First time I ever feel this card was worth buying...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller