Latest post Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:24 PM by tonys. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 12:22 PM

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 11 2007
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,345

timing differences between users while indexing and scanning

Hello,

I hope someone can help with this issue, we have 5 mac pros connected to isis 4.7.11 running composer 8.5.3. All worked perfectly until the other day when we had a power cut. The server and 4 editors had ups/battery back-ups and were all shutdown in time, including the server. The 5th station did not and obviously shutdown incorrectly. Since then ONLY this unit does not work correctly because every time we launch composer we get

exception: operation timed out, filename:/Volumes/Media_OMFI_SFX3/OMFI MediaFiles/avid2/msmFMID.pmr

If we disconnect this workstation from the isis and work locally everything is ok.

We tried deleting the pmr & mob files from this workstation and the indexing took 8 hours and estimated time for scanning is 13 hours. When we did the same operation on one of the other (working) Avids the indexing took 10 minutes and scanning about 5 minutes. I dont understand why ?

By the way this workspace only has the omfi media files folder, it does not have the mxf folder with the various subfolders.

Does anyone have any ideas please

Thank you

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 1:31 PM In reply to

Re: timing differences between users while indexing and scanning

Some questions for clarification...

1. You indexed the same workspace subfolder folder ("/OMFI MediaFiles/avid2") on both machines or their respective subfolder?

2. Are they connected to the switch in the same manner? (1GbE, 2x1GbE, 10GbE)

3. How many files are there in the subfolder?

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 2:18 PM In reply to

Shot in the dark, but what happens if you rename that folder from ...../avid2/.... to the client name of one of the other systems (e.g. ..../avid1/.....) , so that that other system would then be able to rebuild the media database for that folder?

Also: how many files in the folder? Any chance you can move the folder up one level, then add half of the mediafiles in a fresh folder, rebuild, and then add a bunch more files, rebuild, etc?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 2:57 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

tonys:

By the way this workspace only has the omfi media files folder, it does not have the mxf folder with the various subfolders.

With OMFI media, Media Composer will create computer specific sub folder similar to MXF media when the media is stored on an ISIS/NEXIS workspace. Aside from the general note that I'd strongly recommend to stop using OMFI media; are you saying that there aren't computer specific sub-folders? If so, this is likely the issue at hand.

What version of the client are you using? I'd also strongly recommend using the NEXIS client.  

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:20 PM In reply to

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,345

Thanks for answering

1. indexing was done by the respective machines

2. all conected via 1Gb/s ethernet

3. approx 4000

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:51 PM In reply to

tonys:
    1. indexing was done by the respective machines

So did you try forcing another machine to index this specific user's mediafiles folder, by renaming it?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:24 PM In reply to

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,345

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller