Latest post Tue, Nov 6 2018 11:15 PM by ChuckBronson. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:14 PM

SCRIPTED - Clip Naming - British Slate system

Hey Guys,

Hopefully someone has an idea on this (and I'm in the right forum) but I'm AEing a part scripted/doc series that's being Shot in South Africa and thus using the British Slate system instead of Shots. So normally on scene 50 shot A a clip might be named sc50A/1 for the first take. On these clapboards Scene 50 has "Slate 71" in lieu of Shot A. What's the best way to name these clips so American editors don't get confused by all the number? Do I name it 50_71/a for Scene 50, Slate 70, Take 1 or do I name it with the slate taking precedent? ie: 70_50/1 (Slate 70, Scene 50, take 1?)

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: SCRIPTED - Clip Naming - British Slate system

Ask your editor for their preference. But yes, I would normally have it done like 50/70-1 for Scene 50, Slate 70, Take 1.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:39 PM In reply to

Great thank you. Unfortunately he doesn't have a preference.

One more question: If in the middle of stuff Shot for Scene 18 and then on the next slate they mark the clapboard as 18,21,24 how do I go about namaing those clips? I've never seen this before and this makes the clip naming really messy looking and confusing

Thank you

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:57 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

Messy naming or not, I'd name the clips after the clapboard, to avoid further confusion, since this will match not only what is shot, but also the announcement and the paperwork; You can add a Comments column to the bin with whatever more info You think might be useful for the editor.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 7:12 PM In reply to

ChuckBronson:
    If in the middle of stuff Shot for Scene 18 and then on the next slate they mark the clapboard as 18,21,24

Yeah, that is messy.

I tend to label it as "18..21..24/XX-Y".

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 7:15 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    I'd name the clips after the clapboard

Another option I used to use was to only do slate-take (so e.g. 55-1), then add the Scene Number in the Scene column. The downside is that the scene numbers won't show up on the clip names in the segments in the timeline (or in the region names once you export to Pro Tools). That's why I switched to Scene/Slate/Take.

I actually prefer the French slating system, which resets to Shot 1 for each scene, rather than the inceremental slate numers in the British system or all the ABCD's in the US system.

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:09 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

Hi Job, call me lazy, as I'm used to, and therefore like, scene/cut/take (don't know if You mean cut by slate, language is a virus!), where ABC etc are used to refer to any given camera involved in a multicam shot, but I'm flexible and stick to whatever is written on the clapper/reports for clip names, to ease picture and sound post. As stated, if the need be I want my own naming convention in a separate bin column. You wrote the most sensible thing in Your first reply: ask the editor, but since he doesn't seem to have a preference I'd keep the naming consistent from the beginnig to the end of the process.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:45 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    stick to whatever is written on the clapper
    I'm not saying anything different.

It is merely a question of whether or not you use the scene number in the clip name or if you put the scene number in a separate column. As per the OP, scene number is on the slate.

luca.mg:
    scene/cut/take (don't know if You mean cut by slate, language is a virus!)
    Slate numbers are what the Brits use, slates being the clapper boards. I have no idea what you mean by Cut numbers, never heard of that.

I have encountered three systems:

US system: Scene 45 gets: 45-1 (and multiple takes), then 45A-1, then 45B-1, etc. (these are not the A/B/C camera's, but extensions for each new setup within a scene, usually skipping I and O to avoid confusing them with 1 and 0).

For example, you are filming scene 54 and you plan on shooting multiple angles of the scene. Here is how you would want label each shot:

Master shot – 54
    Two shot – 54A
    Close Up #1 – 54B
    Close Up #2 – 54C

UK system: the clapper board (also known as the Slate) has a scene number, and then the slate number, and then the take number. Each new setup gets a new slate number. Slates are numbered from #1 on the beginning of the first shooting day, and keep increasing. So if 8 setups are shot on day #1, the second day starts with Slate 9.By the end of production, slate numbers get well into the hundreds. Many crews celebrate Slate 111 and multiples thereof as 'Champage slates', meaning they drink champagne after shooting those slates. 

French/Belgian system: Scene/Shot/Take, where for each scene, the shot number resets to 1. These shot numbers are not necessarily the same numbers as used in the breakdown or storyboard, but rather reflect the actual setups shot on set.

The OP is used to seeing the US system used, is now seeing the UK system used, and is asking how to convert the information on the slate to the clips in his bins. Scene/Slate/Take, or Slate/Scene/Take. I’m saying I’m used to doing Scene/Slate/Take.

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 6:17 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

Ok then scene/cut/take is the same as scene/shot/take.

Have a nice weekend, Luca

peace luca

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 6:31 AM In reply to

Would you say that the third system I describe is the system commonly used in Italy as well?

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 6:57 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

Yes indeed. Regards, Luca :-)

peace luca

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 7:58 AM In reply to

Thanks. J

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

What for? Always a pleasure to exchange information! Thanks to You for summarising the various naming conventions, might be very useful as a reference for many working in international coproductions and not accostumed to "foreign" pathways. As for the shot/cut wording, when communicating between non english mother tongue people using english as a common language usually translation problems arise, from the tower of Babel on. ;-)

peace luca

• Tue, Nov 6 2018 11:15 PM In reply to

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the extenstive replies, it is proving to be most helpful. Also the third options are interesting to read about. I ended up naming my clips after the scene information and not the editors notes, so in some cases (43,44,46) vs just 43 in the log.

Thank's again

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller