Latest post Fri, Nov 9 2018 7:09 PM by DStone. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 3 2018 12:08 PM

• butterfly
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hungary
    • Posts 211
    • Points 3,035

MC/First GPU

Hi,

I am not new to AVID. I did HD projects 10 years ago. I am back to video, but now more seriously and with 4K. I need to upgrade my PC first, but it is not clear what components I need. I see that Marianne posted minimum requirements, such as 16 GB RAM and the OS, but what about other components. If I see the AVID certified systems, it is also necessary to have an expensive GPU, such as Nvidia P5000 (http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Windows_Current_CPU_Specifications.pdf). Could I get some more information about the requirements to run AMC/First and later AMC? I want to edit .mov files from Panasonic GH5, 8 and 10 bit, and also high framerates. Later maybe RAW files from BM Pocket Camera.

Do I really need a big GPU to do this? If not, could you suggest something?

AND how does AVID think about Ryzen 5 or 7?

Thanks,

Rob

Media Composer First software only, Windows 10 Home, P5Q Mbo, 16 Gb RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 3.70GHz, nVidia Geforce 200 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 4 2018 7:40 AM In reply to

• butterfly
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hungary
    • Posts 211
    • Points 3,035

Re: MC/First GPU

I accidently found a thread that suggests that AVID only tests systems with a Quadro GPU. This made me beleive (and I guess many others) that you need a quadro gpu. While it seems that a GTX 1060 or even 1050 (info from another forum) will also work. It would be nice if the AVID community moderators would publish a list of GPU's that seem to work with AMC. Or at least make the information about GPU's more transparent. Maybe this thread could be used to publish real life systems that work?

Media Composer First software only, Windows 10 Home, P5Q Mbo, 16 Gb RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 3.70GHz, nVidia Geforce 200 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 4 2018 9:14 AM In reply to

When you're looking at the system specifications for Media Composer (or Media Composer First), that is Avid telling you what you need in order to guarantee MC/MCF will work. If you're using the system for critical work that you make money from, and downtime will result in you not getting paid, then pay attention to things like Quadro cards and how much RAM you need.

If you're a hobbyist and you edit for the love of the game, or if you really like tinkering around with computers, then you can try things outside the system requirements, and as you've seen there are a number of components that will work even though they're not listed.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 7 2018 8:06 AM In reply to

• butterfly
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hungary
    • Posts 211
    • Points 3,035

OK, thanks!

So, anybody here is running AMC on a not-certified GPU?

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:50 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,459
    • Points 44,570
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

butterfly:

OK, thanks!

So, anybody here is running AMC on a not-certified GPU?

Lots of us (NVidia GTX is the preferred choice after Quadros). Certified systems are required if you want to get paid support from Avid. These are the systems that they test on and have in-house. If you have the money to own a certified system, then you're probably not using MCF.

The biggest difference is hardware support for OpenGL. On Windows, the Quadro supports OpenGL in hardware. The GTX cards can, but NVidia has disabled this feature in the software driver. On the Mac, GTX cards support OpenGL in hardware.

It's questionable nowadays how much of MC/MCF actually uses OpenGL. Direct GPU coding is more efficient.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:25 PM In reply to

• butterfly
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hungary
    • Posts 211
    • Points 3,035

I was trying to understand what OpenGL is, but more important is what you are suggesting, Dave. Are you discouraging me to get a new GTX, because of possible lack of OpenGL support??

Are you running AMC on your quad core system? Editing 4k?

What about Ryzen? AVID does not support AMD, but does that mean that it will not run on a Ryzen system?

• Fri, Nov 9 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,459
    • Points 44,570
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Ryzen is great for a lot of software, just not for MC. I am running a GTX 970 and edit 4K. I really should upgrade to a 1080, but I haven't had a pressing need to yet.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller