Latest post Tue, Nov 13 2018 9:30 PM by DStone. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 13 2018 6:03 PM

• euesg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Please clarify for my own sanity...

We are working on two TV shows that are being shot with four cameras w/ CCU's, dual system audio/video. Cameras are locked to house sync, so is the audio. The issue here is they are recording the iso'ed cameras to AJA KiPro recorders without a reference tone or color bars. (Eyeball levels) That's for starter... Then they are arguing that the digital audio should be recorded at 0db (on a digital VU Meter) I tried to explaing that digital audio should be referenced at -20 with 1k tone at +4 with occasional peaks at -6db as per delivery guidelines.  I am told by these (um) house engineers there is no need for bars and tone, and would make no difference, whom are continuing to record audio at -6db and peaking at 0db; which is causing playback distortion on my speakers (Neumann KH 120-A Monitors) They claim that the speakers are the problem (Neuman doesn't make good speakers) and had me remove the speakers from the editbay and replace them with a less quality speaker. (problem solved) I tried to explain that they were hitting a Mackey 1204 mixer with a hot +4 signal in a attenuated mic input; that was causing the distortion problem.
    NO! I'm wrong...
    Im starting to feel a bit crazy and I feel that I have lost my F@#$ mind. Mind you that I have worked in the Los Angeles market for more that 40 years as a film/video editor and recording engineer. Now my job is on the line for bringing this matter up. Welcome to Miami.

Please help me feel better about all of this...

Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 13 2018 9:30 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,469
    • Points 44,720
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Please clarify for my own sanity...

Digital audio tone is -20DB full scale. Dialog is around -14DB and loud dialog is around -10DB (and if you're pushing heavy metal or ground shaking explosions, peaks are about -6DB). All of which you already know. The "engineers" are starting where the music peaks.

I can't think of a broadcaster who would accept these shows. No reference tone, no color bars, and bad audio = no broadcast.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller