Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:13 PM by luca.mg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2018 3:32 PM

• scottiebos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 14 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

R3D files, AMA linked, 5KHD footage, 4096x1706 Avid Project, Quality issues

Hey gang, first time poster, long-time Avid MC user.

I have a project that I am finishing in 4K with a 2,40:1 aspect ratio (4096x1706), I have AMA linked the RED R3D assets.  These assets were sourced from a Gemini shooting 5K HD.  Mentioning that just in case the IPP2 pipeline that I'm most unfamiliar with, ends up the culprit of my following challenge.  

My issue will sound simple, but I can only imagine the myriad of ways to correct it, so here goes.  When testing output (export) of my sequence, I continue to get some very unflattering results.  Basically, the footage looks like old standard def.  I stumped.  I've exported @ same size as my MC project, but the results remain the same, unacceptable.  I've looked at the files in REDcineXpro and they look good.  But for some reason, I'm missing something (and probably very obvious to a bunch of you technical experts looking on) and I would love someone to shed a little light on this if you could!  And kick in the ‘ol ass would be most appropriate. 

Many thanks, Scottiebos

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 5:47 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Re: R3D files, AMA linked, 5KHD footage, 4096x1706 Avid Project, Quality issues

Hi Scottiebos and welcome to the forums. Please more details about the export, file format and size, quality/compression settings, colour levels, and the like. Also is this straight out of MC, or You're encoding from a QT ref in a third party program?

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 12:35 PM In reply to

• scottiebos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 14 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks for your reply luca.mg!  I kept digging after posting here, because it was just too obvious how terrible my normal export process was working on this project.  And as it turned out, it was an issue directly connected to a MC setting in my project.  There's a small pull down window within the "Format" tab, named "Proxy".  This is something I've never messed with or was aware of.  And am not totally certain of its function really...  But it was set to a very low rez of, 1024x428 (1/16th rez) and the MC was performing the export functions based on this rez.  When I turned it to "off" the renders returned to normal. Does this make sense?  And I describing the issue correctly?  Anyway, thanks a million for reaching out!  I was getting more than a bit concerned.  
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:13 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Glad You fixed it! And thank You for sharing the fix!!

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller