Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:03 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 6:58 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Do I need to "renew" Symphony Each Year (perpetual MC license)

I am perpetual MC license holder (if that is correct term) and for last three years have renewed for $299. Last year there was the "special" deal to get Symphony for $99 which I did.  Now I see on Avid Website "renewal" for Symphony.  I called my authorized Avid reseller (not very knowledgeable) and he said he thought I needed to pay to renew Symphony each year in addition to paying $299 for my annual MC license? Is that right??

Also he thought Symphony was not like my MC perpetual license in which I basically "own" MC and even if I don't renew annually I still have fully functional MC at the last version I installed before my license expired--he thought Symphony would quit working if I did not renew MC.

I did review one earlier post about "options" but did not seem to cover this--and I have also reached out to our most helpful Marianna but she is out of office so reaching out to forum.

Thank you,

Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:00 PM In reply to

Re: Do I need to "renew" Symphony Each Year (perpetual MC license)

denniscasey:
    I called my authorized Avid reseller (not very knowledgeable) and he said he thought I needed to pay to renew Symphony each year in addition to paying $299 for my annual MC license? Is that right??

No. Once you've paid for the Symphony option, you own it forever. All you need to do is renew your MC license.

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/183285.aspx

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 9:26 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Thank you Carl.  Although I kept renewing my license I have been away from editing on MC for about two years and forgot how difficult it was to contact Avid directly with questions if you are hobbyist type user. I always appreciated the help from members of forum and of course the exceptionally helpful Marianna.

Regards, Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,280
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Carl is spot on.... thanks Carl

Dennis - sorry was out ths afternoon.  Have the dreaded sinus infection - now on antibiotics :)

Let me know if you need anything else as i will montior this thread in case you do.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller