Latest post Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:37 AM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:16 PM

• Brian Berdan, ACE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 4 2013
    • Usually Seattle or Los Angeles
    • Posts 73
    • Points 780

Symphony color correction playback on non-symphony system

I'm considering the options for renewing my software this year and wonder if I go with the "Ultimate" version, and use Symphony color correction, when I send a bin to a coworker who does not have Symphony on their system, will it play without a render file?

Thanks for any input.

2017 MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6 MC 2018.12.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:24 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,035
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Symphony color correction playback on non-symphony system

Sorta.  Adjustments that are common between Media Composer and Symphony should work (don't take my word for it, do a test to confirm), however Symphony specific color corrections like channel adjustments or secondary colors won't be seen unless they're rendered on the Symphony system first.

If you want to play it safe, disable the Symphony option in the App Man.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:03 PM In reply to

• Brian Berdan, ACE
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 780

Thanks, Hbrock, that's what I figured.  I'll keep my life simple.

2017 MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6 MC 2018.12.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 9:49 AM In reply to

• Hansa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 5 2006
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 421
    • Points 5,240

Just checking, because I haven't seen an Ultimate MC version yet but you have the option to turn off Symphony in App Man with MC Ultimate version?

Thanks

Avid DNxIO, 2.7 GHz 12 core late 2013 Mac Pro, 64 GB Ram, MC 2018.12 with Symphony option, OS 10.12.6, LaCie 24 TB RAID. 3.5 GHz 6 core Mac Pros x 5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 10:57 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 474
    • Points 5,875
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Indeed you do, it's just the same.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 11:17 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 7,140

Brian Berdan, ACE:

I'm considering the options for renewing my software this year and wonder if I go with the "Ultimate" version, and use Symphony color correction, when I send a bin to a coworker who does not have Symphony on their system, will it play without a render file?

Have you thought of using the Baselight plugin to do your grading?

It's a much better tool for modern colour grading and mostly real-time on the Avid timeline.

You only need to buy one licence (on the workstation you wish to grade on). Your co-workers can install the plugin as a free player, so you can simply send them the timeline and they'll be able to play and export the graded programme. Of course, they can't make any changes without a full licence. If you do need to make changes, there's a feature in the Baselight licence options that allows you to move the licence to another machine for a specified period. So if changes need to be made to the grade you don't need to necessarily go back to the original system.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 5:10 PM In reply to

• Brian Berdan, ACE
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 780

Thanks Bruno,  Yeah, I've checked out Baselight- great plugin.  I don't do finishing so really shouldn't be spending much time or money on this.  But I do like toys, so that might be a good option.

• Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:37 AM In reply to

The greatest thing to me about Symph CC is source based / clip based grading. Which does translate to non-SY systems. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller