Latest post Wed, Nov 28 2018 7:24 PM by George Angeludis. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 22 2018 8:12 PM

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,485

How to uninstall Media Composer correctly?

I always simply uninstall with CCleaner before I install a new MC version.

What folders/files etc. do you delete in addition to uninstall?

HP Z420 (E5-1650v2) | 32GB RAM | 250 GB SSD (OS) | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 | internal raid0 | AJA Io Express | Win7 Pro64 Sp1 | MC 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 22 2018 9:20 PM In reply to

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,485

Re: How to uninstall Media Composer correctly?

As a start, a video from 2013:

How to: Manually Uninstall Avid Editing application (PC)

(from the knowledge base)

HP Z420 (E5-1650v2) | 32GB RAM | 250 GB SSD (OS) | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 | internal raid0 | AJA Io Express | Win7 Pro64 Sp1 | MC 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 23 2018 11:26 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Did not take the time to watch the linked video, seems slightly outdated, don't know if it still applies. This is my recipe:

first uninstall the software, including PACE, Sentinel, Avid Cloud Client services, via the Windows control panel, Programs and features;I leave alone the Application Manager

once done open the Windows file manager and set it to display hidden items, then manually delete everything left in the C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer folder except for the Application Manager, third party plugins, third party AMA plugins, and license info.

Delete everything in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid, skip third party plugins and Nexidia extra stuff if applicable.

Delete everything in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid, again, skip third party audio plugins and CustomDataAppMan.

Delete everything in C:\ProgramData\Avid except for Licenses and SWL.

Next is C:\Users\Public\Documents, there's a bunch of Avid directories over there, You can safely delete empty folders; keep the Shared Avid projets folder, and the Avid Attic folder. I also delete the AMA Management folder if it contains stuff that I do not need anymore, belonging to old projects, the rest could be deleted, it's up to You, and if You have Synced Avid Projects You may want to keep that folder as well.

I do not flush the Recycle Bin, and only do it after checking that everything works as it should.

As an additional step You can clean the C:\AvidDownloads directory, just keep the running Application_Manager_2018.X_Win.extract folder (I assume You already uninstalled Media Composer, if not, keep the MC extracted files as well, they're needed for uninstall; this stuff won't be there if You did not install MC via the AppMAn).

Before installing a new MC release You may run a trusty registry cleaner.

What I really can't work out is which MS Visual C++ libraries can be safely deleted, the required ones will be installed with MC, but it's difficult to spot which are required by other programs, so getting rid of them all is not feasible, there are many, perhaps even unneeded ones belonging to old MC installs and not used by other software, but I could not find a safe way to tell which ones have a use and which not.

HTH

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Nov 24 2018 9:19 PM In reply to

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,485

luca.mg:
    the linked video, seems slightly outdated,

:))

Thank you so much for your detailed answer

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:44 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Assuming the reason for this thread is to uninstall MC in preparation for upgrading to a new version of MC...

I don't usually clean any Registry settings (and have never had a problem upgrading from one version to the next). My formula is a variation one what has been described here:

(I use a dongle for MC so I don't typically worry about deactivating my license - even though my Symphony license is node-based - if your MC is node-based you shouldn't have to deactivate for an upgrade but I don't have any experience with that - just a caveat)

1. Uninstall App Manager

2. Uninstall Cloud Services

3. Uninstall Media Composer

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Avid and select and delete the 'Avid Media Composer' folder and the 'Editor Transcode' folder

5. DO NOT REMOVE the AVX2 plugins folder (or you will lose your plugins)

6. Optionally there are other folders that can be removed to purge your AMA database, etc. but I rarely touch those.

Finally I install the new version of Media Composer and when it's done, I reboot the machine even if the installer does not prompt me to.

I usually create an new MC user upon launching MC, although this is often unnecessary (it's a diagnostic step if you do run into odd behavior).

I have also downloaded and replaced the Sentinal package that ships with MC with a newer version (Sentinal, iLok, etc.) because the shipping version has a problem with the way it 'delay starts' that will sometimes lead to a license warning. You can overcome this by tweaking the service itself, however, I've been told this tweak gets overwritten when you install MC again (and hence my choice to install a newer version that does not get overwritten by the MC installer).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:01 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Thank You for popping in BarkinMadd, Your post reminds me that after uninstalling and deleting the MC remainings, I reboot before installing the new release. I do not reboot when prompted during uninstall of Pace, Sentinel, etc, I go for a single reboot as stated. And I reboot the system after MC has completed the setup too.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:12 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

That's not a bad idea to reboot after uninstalling (in fact, you must if you choose to uninstall the PACE/Sentinal drivers). As mentioned, I have NEVER had an issue uninstalling and upgrading Media Composer with my abreviated formula. I have, however, had issues on a number of occasions upgrading MC without first uninstalling and removing those folders I've mentioned. In particular, not removing the 'Editor Transcode' folder resulted in broken background transcoding and background rendering. Not sure if this is still necessary but I run through my formula nevertheless.

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:31 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Yes I do clean up the folders after uninstalling to avoid hiccups with background services, among others. Still I have the background queue not diplaying correctly the jobs in progress, and I have to watch them in the browser... Since the Pace and Sentinel uninstallers do prompt for a reboot I do it after uninstalling both them, skipping one reboot.

peace luca

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 1:33 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

For background issues I find I have to cleanup (delete files in):

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\Background

but I don't know why MC doesn't clean this up on its own.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 6:35 PM In reply to

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,485

Thank you both again!

So, my personal uninstall/reinstall procedure would be like this:
    (Win7)

UNINSTALL

1. Backup Avid Projects, User, Attic, PlugIn folders, MediaFiles

2. Remove dongle

3. Uninstall a.) App Manager, b.) Cloud Services, c.) Media Composer, d.) PACE driver

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Avid and delete the folders "Avid Media Composer" and "Editor Transcode"

5. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files and delete folder "Avid"

6. Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\Background and delete all files in there

7. Run "regedit"

8. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Avid Technology >Current Version and delete all items in there

9. Restart and run CCleaner

INSTALL

10. Copy and unzip installer on the root level of the C drive

11. Install new version and restart again

12. Plug in dongle (and update)

13. Remove App Man from the autostart

14. Control Version Matrix for the new version, nVidia & AJA drivers

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 6:48 PM In reply to

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,485

BarkinMadd:
    Assuming the reason for this thread is to uninstall MC in preparation for upgrading to a new version of MC...

exactly :) Sorry, I forgot to mention

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 5:50 PM In reply to

I simply uninstall the older version without doing anything else.

And then I am re installing the new version.

Never had any problem.

Everything is in tact (Avid Projects, plugins etc.)

As for backing up Avid Projects, Avid MediaFiles, etc. this is almost a daily routine for me all of those years.

However if you have seen any problem you should go with a clean install as (very nice) posted down below. 

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 7:14 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 356
    • Points 4,210

Ccleaner has been compromised with malware and shouldn't be considered safe for use, imo. For most purposes, it is also unncessary to manually 'clean' the registry.   

having upgraded hundreds of windows 7 and 10 workstations in the last 5 years, uninstall media composer + deactivate (if using node locked or floating license), uninstall appman, uninstall old codecs, old newblue, old ama plugins, and old hardware drivers/software (AJA/BM), reboot, reinstall new versions, reboot, reactivate.

we dont run cleaner tools and dont manually purge install directories. Systems are re-imaged as needed, somewhere around the 1 year mark, when moving between major version of avid and/or adobe software.

major problems encountered:

AJA uninstaller not uninstalling, requiring a microsoft .cab uninstallation helper to be executed.

iLok drivers going stupid and requiring a manual re-install (i fault the avid prerequisite check in the installer, as this behavior is dependant on the previously installed version.)

Outdated site settings/user settings/image cache/ama management folder contents. 

haven't run across an uninstall+reinstall issue requiring manual or tool-based registry intervention since vista x64 and media composer v5.x

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 7:24 PM In reply to

NYnutz:

Ccleaner has been compromised with malware and shouldn't be considered safe for use, imo. For most purposes, it is also unncessary to manually 'clean' the registry.   

CCleaner is safe. I use it for years now (and as with anything else) and always the newest version.

No malware ever.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller