Latest post Wed, Dec 5 2018 4:54 PM by Marianna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 26 2018 5:51 PM

• Arnaud D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 15 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 270

Price difference between subscription vs renewal of a perpetual license

I currently have a Avid Media Composer Perpetual license.

From what I am seeing, renewing my perptual license for one year cost twice as much as buying a new subscription for one year. Am I missing something ?

Avid Standard Support Plan Renewal for Avid Media Composer 285$
    Avid Media Composer 1-Year Subscription 159,20$

Let me know if I am wrong somehow, but it does not make financial sense anymore for me to keep my perpetual license up to date.

Best regards,

Arnaud

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 32 GB 800 MHz DDR2, BM Decklink HD-SDI, Avid MC 8.3.1, OSX 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 26 2018 6:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Price difference between subscription vs renewal of a perpetual license

Arnaud

Media Composer Perpetual USD 299.00/yr (1-Year Update & Support Plan) - this you own so it you decide to NOT renew, you can still use the license.

$19.99 1-Year Subscription, Paid Monthly (Download) = $239.88 month to month - rental and if you do not continue month to month - you loose the license

$199.99 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront (Download) = commit to year. Rental and if you do not continue each year - you loose the license.

• Get a discount of two months when you pay in full upfront
    • CYBER MONDAY! 20% off, use coupon code CM2018
    If you have a dongle, I would stay perptual as subscriptions cant use dongles. Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 27 2018 3:01 PM In reply to

• Arnaud D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 15 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 270

Hi Marianna and thank you for your fast reply.

If I remember it correctly, renewing my perpetual license used to cost the same as buying a 1 year subscription. At that time, it made sense for me to renew.

Now that the renewal cost more, I won't be renewing my license as I don't see any real benefit. I would be buying something out of the fear of missing out on something I might not even need. And if you ever release something that's worth it for me, it will cost less for me to buy a new subscription than to have kept my perpetual license current.

Maybe I am alone in this, maybe not. Might be a thing for you to take into consideration.

Best,

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 32 GB 800 MHz DDR2, BM Decklink HD-SDI, Avid MC 8.3.1, OSX 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 28 2018 11:12 PM In reply to

• Gareth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • West Midlands, UK
    • Posts 8
    • Points 135

I had an email recently from Avid to say there are some savings and to keep my plan active and to renew now.

My perpetual support plan is due for renewal on the 23rd of Jan 2019 but as the email said it was a special price and runs out next month I thought Id do it now.

So I make the purchase and go onto my application manager and see a new subscription for 'Avid Composer Ultimate' and is due to expire on the 24th of Novemnber 2019.

I don't even know what 'Ultimate' is so straight away get on the phone to support. After a while of digging she tells me that I have cross graded my perpetual licence. Of course that's not what I thought I was signing up for as have upgraded online for the last 4 years and the email says nothing about this ultimate package. She tells me Avid don't offer refunds but understands the error so will see what she can do.

This was at the weekend and I have not heard back and worried Ive lost £320 and the use of my perpetual licence?

• Sat, Dec 1 2018 12:58 PM In reply to

I let my two support plans run out two years ago and am still working with 8.9.5.

This morning I received an email from Avid Germany encouraging me to buy a "Media Composer Upgrade & Support Plan". If I did I'd get a Pro Limiter & Compressor free (which would be nice). "Reactivate Now" is the button I needed to push in the email. Note: Reactivate.

Now, reactivating a support plan sounds exactly like what I used to pay for so I checked it out.

Avid's website and cornucopia of offers and extras is very confusing, but after a while I finally realised that what was in fact being offered was NOT a reactivation of my old support plan, but the conversion of my perpetual Media Composer licence to a subscription licence.

A very dodgy and very confusing offer.

I don't know exactly what Gareth was offered, but I would suggest he was sold a pup. I only just missed out on making a similar mistake and killing my €2000 investment (plus years of support charges), paying for the privilige and shifting to a business model that depends on the kindness of a distant corporation.

If Avid wants to phase out the old perpetual licences then it will have to do better than just offer us an audio plug-in. I have a very justifiable fear of not owning the software that is the foundation of my income.

That said, I do like MC, v8.9.5 is a really good editing tool. And I think Marianna is always a fantastic help. Cheers!

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Wed, Dec 5 2018 4:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Gareth

Please email me directly and include your system ID and My Avid email.  Also if you have a case # please send that to me as well....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 5 2018 4:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rodney....

you can still renew and keep what you have...  we are working with the web store and team to make tweaks to the wording so it is not so confusing.

Email me off forum and include the iD's and My Avid email and I can check what your options might be if you are interested.

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller