Latest post Sat, Dec 8 2018 9:57 PM by Adrian Redmond. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 9:24 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 38
    • Points 475

Missing icon images in bins

I have noticed that when capturing clips from tape or importing from archive, some few clips - perhaps one in 200, do not have an index image when the bin is viewed in icon mode.

In my old Liquid system we had a function in the source/clip viewer which allowed one to create a new index image - which was doubly useful because it also allowed the editor to set the cursor in the source/clip viewer to a desired frame and use that as an index image - particularly useful if you have several clips, each starting with a similar open frame, into which different action or content arrives - here one could set an index image that made it easier to find the clip and differentiate between others.

I don't know if Avid can handle this, but perhaps there's a trick to re-generating the index image from the first frame of the clip?

Anyone know anything about this issue?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 8 2018 9:57 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 38
    • Points 475

Re: Missing icon images in bins

I solved this one myself today. I didn't realise that Avid could preview a clip directly from the bin using J,K,L on any highlighted clip and previewing it in the actual clip icon (presuming that you are in Icon view rather than Text view).

The upshot of this is, that when you play the clip back and forth, the point at which you stop playing defines the actual index frame that is set for the clip in icon view mode - until of course you use the same trick again.

So missing index images after cature canm simply be a dropped first fra, which gets spooled pas when you use the JKL preview method, thus setting a new index image.

So if you want to be able to differentiate between several shots, the fiorst frames of which appear identical, you can JKL your way to a frame that identifies the shot uniquely. Neat - thanks Avid :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller