Latest post Sun, Dec 30 2018 6:05 PM by Matthew Clulow. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 10 2018 11:11 PM

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 12 2018
    • North of Toronto Ontario
    • Posts 30
    • Points 360

MOVING FROM FIRST to MC

I have been running MC First on an older machine and it seems to work fine. So I am tempted to buy a licenced version.

1. Do I need to delete MCFIRST....first, I can I just buy and activate the licence thought the application manager?
    2. Is it true that Marquee has been dropped in the latest? Really liked that in the old 4.08

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

• Tue, Dec 11 2018 1:56 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,814
    • Points 20,015
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MOVING FROM FIRST to MC

Matthew Clulow:

I have been running MC First on an older machine and it seems to work fine. So I am tempted to buy a licensed version.

1. Do I need to delete MCFIRST....first, I can I just buy and activate the license thought the application manager?
    2. Is it true that Marquee has been dropped in the latest? Really liked that in the old 4.08

That depends on the version you have installed if it's lower than 2018.8 you need to uninstall the First before you activate MC|Full. If you got 2018.11 all you need to do is punch in the codes, bear in mind that project or bins from MC|First will not work with regular MC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 6:13 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 360

It looks like I have 2018.11 so as you say.... "all I need to do is punch in the codes".

Does this inlcude or exclude marquee?

Also, I have old BORIS effects. Can I install that in the new version of AVID MC? or am I looking at a new ;prushase there also?

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 6:45 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,814
    • Points 20,015
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Here is the info about Marquee. Not sure about the Boris effects is it the Boris Continuum Complete Lite?

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 19 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 360

Borris Effects are on an AVID disk that came with the box.It's actually called AVID FX - but the liscence label  says AVID BORRIS FX.  It would be great to know if they work going forward becasue I used them a lot, and it looks like replacing them will cost a bundle.

Matthew Clulow

• Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:09 PM In reply to

I'd unintall MC first befor installing MC regular. Marquee is EOL and I think Avid FX hasn't been supported for a while. If you have the discs and it installs it may work but I wouldn't bank on it.

Note none of your current MC First Projects, bins etc can be moved to MC regular so make sure they are all finished and outputted before the transition. And lets hope you don't need to revisit them :-(

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:32 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,159
    • Points 217,400
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pat is correct but.........  Boris does have an update - Boris RED but it is stand alone. Although the media elements on the Boris RED main web page indicate that the current version is 5.5, the true current version of Boris RED is 5.6.

I doubt very much that Boris will make another update to this product though - RED/FX/Graffiti have been sunset products for several years now with only minor changes to account for OS/host changes that were the cause of issues or problems. 

Anyway, the Boris RED installer is available at this link :

https://borisfx.com/store/?collection=red-graffiti-fx-final-effects&product=red

Definately uninstall all of MC First before forging ahead with MC.

Ping me if you need me...

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Dec 30 2018 6:05 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 360

Does MC FIrst interact with folder security on the hard drive. With MC-4 I use windows exploer to delete old files from the MC folders to keep the drive clean, but I can't do that since I installed MCFIRST. I'm locked out by folder security and can't undo that now.

Matthew Clulow

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller