Latest post Fri, Dec 14 2018 7:17 PM by DStone. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:15 PM

• jrodchillp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Issue(s) with Avid Media Composer First

When I use the source browser, this keeps coming up time after time. Please, Avid community, let me know what I can do to fix this issue.

• Thu, Dec 13 2018 8:53 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,080
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Issue(s) with Avid Media Composer First

Welcome to the forums. First, we need some more details about your system and which version of MCF you're using. Look at the bottom of this post for an example (you can set this permanently in your profile by clicking on your username in the upper right corner, and then clicking on Edit my Profile from the Options box). Please be specific about CPU, memory, OS (Windows Pro/Home/Ultimate/etc.). What exactly were you doing when the error came up? Does it happen when you open the source browser, or when you navigate to something from within the source browser? If the latter, what is the source media (SD card, internal hard drive, external hard drive, NAS, etc.)?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 1:04 AM In reply to

• jrodchillp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you. Here are my current system specs (Note: the laptop I am using does not have the 8 GB required RAM, but I have still found success making videos with this program).

Intel (R) Core(TM) i5 CPU, 73.1 GB, Nvidia NVS 3100M 2487 MB, Windows 10 Pro, MCF 2018.11 (as of the date of this post).

So, the error pops up when I go to the source browser, click on my Local Disk (C:/), and click on a folder that has the videos that I want to link in a bin. The error previously stated comes up multiple times, and eventually I do not see it anymore and I can link the files.

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 7:17 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,080
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

So a couple of things. First, the I5 is not really a supported cpu (see the Requirements doc HERE.) The problem is most likely related to memory (BTW, you really want at least 16Gb, and 32Gb is better). The fact that it works at all has to do with finally being able to cache the memory it requires after multiple attempts ('m rather surprised that it worked at all). To the best of my knowledge, there are no console commands for controlling the source browser caching mechanism. The video card is also not really up to spec. (it's an entry level business card, not something designed for video work or even serious gaming).

Don't get me wrong; I think it's great that you've got it running. But you should expect to see issues along the way.

One thing that may help is if you use a separate drive for your media (you should do this in all cases regardless; you don't want to proceess media on the same drive as the system, as Windows hits the system drive a lot normally.) This is recommended regardless of which NLE you happen to be using.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller