Latest post Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:18 AM by bucur.marian. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 6 2019 8:29 AM In reply to

• Schmidtsk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 18 2007
    • McGregor, South Africa
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,300

Re: MC exports AAF not containing data

Hello Avid.... Anyone listening?

MC 2018.12 (Symph) on iMac 4.2. i7 40GB (OSX 10.14.2). Also MC 7.0.5 on MacPro 2.66 11 GB (OSX 10.7.5) [view my complete system specs]

Plant a tree

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 4:21 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,376
    • Points 40,770

I am coming in very late on this, and may be redundent, but one thing I see in your screen shot is that you convert to AIFF-C. I have read somewhere else that there are issues with AIFF files in some later versions of MC.

I make AAF files with Wave format.  I have made several in that last few days with no issues from 2018.11. 

Now, full disclosure, I am sending to Nuendo systems.

But I think a quick test with Wave file format would be useful.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 6:51 PM In reply to

jef:
    but one thing I see in your screen shot is that you convert to AIFF-C
    I wondered about that and think it could indicate why most/all(?) the people posting about the issue are on Macs.  I can test this in a couple of hours.

Thinking about it last night I thought a simple but maybe not popular solution could be Avid writing a simple standalone program that could split the media out of an embedded AAF to a user designated folder. The Pro Tools facility then copies the AAF, splits the media out of one and loads the other into Pro Tools.  The operator can then point the Pro Tools session to the split media folder.  I would imagine that this program would be tiny and could easily be sent along with the AAF.  Not Elegant but could be a very easy fix. 

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 7:28 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,376
    • Points 40,770

Alayne Holmes:

jef:
    but one thing I see in your screen shot is that you convert to AIFF-C
    I wondered about that and think it could indicate why most/all(?) the people posting about the issue are on Macs.  I can test this in a couple of hours.

Thinking about it last night I thought a simple but maybe not popular solution could be Avid writing a simple standalone program that could split the media out of an embedded AAF to a user designated folder. The Pro Tools facility then copies the AAF, splits the media out of one and loads the other into Pro Tools.  The operator can then point the Pro Tools session to the split media folder.  I would imagine that this program would be tiny and could easily be sent along with the AAF.  Not Elegant but could be a very easy fix. 

Not sure if this is what you mean, but rather than have Avid make an Embedded AAF, you can have it write the media to a folder.  The user then points to the folder when loading the AAF.  This was common when using OMFs which had a file size limit.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:00 PM In reply to

• palm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 1 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Same here, embedded AAFs exported with 2018.11 won‘t open in ProTools but will open correctly when re-imported into MC for testing integrity. Nasty.

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:12 PM In reply to

jef:
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but rather than have Avid make an Embedded AAF, you can have it write the media to a folder.
    No not what I mean. One of the posters here (or the other AAF running concurrently) said they needed embedded media when the consolidate to folder was suggested. 

I was  suggesting a new standalone program, Made up basically of a UI, import AAF, predominantly the part of the code from the old AAF Pro Tools open that separates the media from the "timeline" data, a UI option for the user to create/select a media folder and copy the Media files with all their meta data to that folder.   If Avid wish to complicate this slightly the program could also create a new AAF (Linked media) using the folder it had just created.  In my opinion this may solve a lot of the Pro Tools operators problems when receiving AAF's from Premier and other NLE's as well.  

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:58 PM In reply to

jef:
    But I think a quick test with Wave file format would be useful.
    Tested with Windows 10 MC 2018.12 exported AAF using embedded media converted to PCM(MXF)  Failed to find media with both Mac Pro Tools 11.1.3 and Windows 7 Pro Tools 10.3.10. Assumption that PCM audio is Wav file format and a little reluctant to get into omf specific wav files.

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 4:40 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 557
    • Points 6,780

Just an update. I have the latest version of the software and an embedded AAF still does not import into Protools. But the AAF with a seperate media folder works fine.

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 5:33 PM In reply to

Is still an AIFF-C media issue? Does it work if you use WAV media?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 5:35 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 557
    • Points 6,780

I tried both...in the past. Not with this new version. With this latest attempt it was WAV.

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 23 2010
    • Miami, Florida
    • Posts 63
    • Points 790

AVID is aware of the issue.  Case # 03628555

Imacpro 10C, 64Gig, R64 - Decklink Monior [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:18 AM In reply to

• bucur.marian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Romania
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,250

We have also a client affected by this and raised case 03641736.  The AAF exported by MC cannot not be open in MC 8.6 also. We found out that MC 8.6 can export the seqeunce just fine, so if you have a shared storage you can build a MC 8.6.5 just for AAF export

Whatever the customer has :) [view my complete system specs]

ACSR Elite

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller