Latest post Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:18 PM by jwrl. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 26 2018 11:40 PM

Is there a way to export a QT at frame 1, not frame 0?

Hey All - I'm trying to export a QT right now of some shots from my timeline that need VFX but I'm coming across an issue. The VFX guys are using a new script that will convert the QT into a JPEG sequence but for some reason, the script isn't reading the first frame of picture. It's seeing all the frames but the last frame is blank.

For example, a shot is 250 frames, it's seeing 250 frames but at frame 250, it's just white. I know this is an issue sometimes but I can't seem to find a workaround that doesn't include 15 additional steps. 

I keep telling him it's the actual script that is causing the issue since this has never happened with previous shows but he thinks it's something on my end. I'm trying to get him to change the code so that it's reading the QT at 23.98, not 24 but he doesn't know if he can do it.

We are cutting on AVID at 23.98 but VFX will be working with 24fps (the software they are using can't do 23.98). The only solution I can think of is I export all the QTs and then use Adobe Media Encoder to break them down to Jpeg Sequences for them or export a JPEG sequence right from AVID. I'd just have to relabel everything and put everything into the proper folders, which would be another hour or so to do.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Is there a way to export a QT at frame 1, not frame 0?

Why not export from Avid as a tiff or dpx sequence?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:18 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Is there a way to export a QT at frame 1, not frame 0?

First, let me say that I think that it's highly likely that you're right, and the problem is with their script.  I encountered a problem like that a few years back on an animation project and it turned out to be a floating point maths issue with the conversion software.  We not only had missing frames at the head, we had dodgy durations too.

I have done a heap of these effects projects.  Avid's export to PNG and/or TIFF sequences is fast and efficient, and should cause you no trouble.  The important thing is that it leaves you in control, not someone at the other end who clearly doesn't have much of a grasp of what they're trying to do.  In a case like that arguably the less that they have to do the better.

The alternative is of course to deliberately supply them a file with a duff extra frame at the head which their software will not see.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller