Latest post Thu, Jan 17 2019 2:57 AM by cls105. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:54 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,323
    • Points 60,085
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Media Composer 2018.12 Now Available

ReadMe and What’s New Files:  ReadMe and What’s New documents: Media Composer 2018 Documentation Page 

How to obtain Media Composer 2018.12 Updates:  

1. Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer will be notified of the availability of the upgrade via the Application Manager. The Apps tab also provides a link to download and install the update when desired. 
    2. New customers who purchase Media Composer will receive the update in their AvidMaster Account.
    3. Customers on current Update & Support plans can download the Media Composer 2018.12 update either from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required.) 
    4. Customers not on a current Update & Support contract must either 1. purchase either a new Media Composer Subscription or Perpetual license or 2. crossgrade an older license to a new subscription to receive this update. 

Reminder: This release of Media Composer requires an active Update & Support plan. Please ensure your plans and licenses are both up to date before installing this update.

What’s New:   This is a major release for Media Composer users as it includes 4 of the top 10 most requested features!

• Background Auto Bin Save: Media Composer now performs automatic bin saves in the background – letting editors continue to work and focus on creative tasks and not deal with costly interruptions
    • New High Res Title Tool: Create and edit titles in any raster, directly in the record monitor – and switch rasters automatically without having to realign or adjust your text
    • Group and Multigroup Updates: Add, edit, remove, trim and update clips in groups without having to make a new group. You can also create groups with mixed frame-rates, create multigroup from a sequence, change the reference audio track, and cycle through all cameras using Swap Camera Banks  
    • Shape-based Color Correction: Draw and manipulate shapes in the Color Correction toolset to apply different looks to the shape and base layer. You can also animate the shape using tracking tools and create multiple shapes in the same layer. (Requires Symphony Option)
    • Faster DPX Linking and Editing: Link to, edit and play back DPX files up to 10x faster than before
    • 64 Tracks of Video: We’ve expanded our track count so you can have up to 64 tracks of audio and video
    • Syncing using Waveforms: Sync audio-only clips to video directly in the Timeline using waveform analysis – no need to rely on In points or Timecode
    • DNxUncompressed 12 Bit: Now you can create DNxUncompressed media at 12 bits, saving you space and bandwidth
    • Enhanced QuickTime Support: This update also includes fixes for a number of issues related to QuickTime files. Customers who have been reporting problems linking to or importing .mov files should upgrade to 2018.12.

What’s Fixed: The following issues have been resolved in this release.

• Bug Number: MCCET-2734. You could not perform a perf slip on sub clips that were exported and then imported via AAF.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2741. When loading a sequence from the Interplay Window into the Source Monitor, some master clips appeared offline.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2752. (Mac Only) In some instances, after using the Source Browser, the “Recovered Files” folder with AAF files appeared in the Trash.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2413. Linked .mp4 clips had a 1-frame Timecode difference on audio and video when linked with the Avid Generic Plug-in.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2235. In an Interplay environment, you might have received an AAFProcessor error when linking to GoPro and XAVC-S media using the Avid Generic Plug-in.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2652. The color coding equation for a 2020 color space, might have appeared as 709 in the SMPTE Metadata Register.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2658. In some instances, animating a Circle Blur Effect on an imported still image as XDCAM, created an unexpected result.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2663. When working with Open IO_ NDI, output only played the number frames set in the Desktop Play Delay setting.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2644. In some instances, you might have received an Exception error when exporting a sequence that contains an audio track effect with a long delay such as iZotope RX6 De-clip.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2673. Linking XAVC-S with the Avid Generic plug-in provided incorrect Timecode.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2754. When a locked bin was open in a project, the 3rd party product Baselight might have been unresponsive.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2674. The editing application was sluggish when working in Small Trim Mode.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2742. In some instances, Dynamic Relink settings were not retained in new projects if they were saved as a Site Setting.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2635. In some instances, an auto-save did not occur after adding or removing markers, or deleting clips and sequences.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2395. When applying a SPACE effect, and using a SPACE Impulse Response, render results were inconsistent.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2539. (Avid Artist DNxIV, Avid Artist DNxIP, AJA IO devices) In some instances, the position indicator jumped ahead when pressing play.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2740. Media Creation settings reverted back to previous setting if Drive Filtering settings were changed.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2727. When performing an Insert Edit Export, you could not select another target drive in the Look In menu in the Select Insert Edit Target window.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2697. In some instances, FrameFlex reformat parameter did not stick to AutoSynced clips.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2733. In some instances, fast import of AVC-Long G25 files would hang the editing application.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2602. With attached Avid Artist DNxIV, Avid Artist DNxIP, and AJA IO devices, playback started with a stutter on a Broadcast Monitor.

Media Composer Notes:

-  Application Installers:  With this release of 2018.12 (as with previous releases starting with 2018.9), you have a single installer for Media Composer and Media Composer | First. The option to run as Media Composer | First is now include in the Avid Media Composer Activation window.

-  Dongle Info (Mac Only): The Dongle Sentinel driver installer is no longer automatically installed when you install the editing application. The driver is now located in the Avid_Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities/Avid_Utilities/Sentinel_Driver). If you have a dongle, manually install the driver from this location.

-  Avid Artist DNxIO and Avid Artist DNxIQ: If you are using Avid Artist DNxIO, Avid Artist DNxIQ, or a BlackMagic Designs video device, please update to Desktop Video software version 10.10.1 or higher. The minimum Desktop Video version that will work with Media Composer v18.5.1 is 10.9.11. Older versions will be rejected, and you will not be able to use your hardware until you update.

Operating System Update: macOS Mojave (10.14.2) is now supported. The following lists the qualified Operating Systems. Depending upon your hardware the qualified Operating Systems are:

Windows v7 64-bit SP1(Professional) and Windows v8.1 (Professional and Enterprise), Windows v10 64-bit (Professional, Creators, and Enterprise).

Macintosh v10.12.6, 10.13.6, 10.14.2  

* * * macOS 10.12.x is now the minimum operating system supported for Mac on this release.

To learn more about compatible versions visit http://www.alwaysediting.com/avid-mc-versions.html 

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 31 2018 7:14 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,895

Re: Media Composer 2018.12 Now Available

Been using this version today.  So far so good.  software only mode.

90min timeline uhd.

MC 2018.12, diy x299 7940x, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 1 2019 3:58 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,635

i don't mean to rain on the parade, but i'm wondering what happened to the mask margin fonction, still there but not working for me...?

happy new year everyone!

mc 2018.12 with symphony - win 10 pro64 v.1803 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (411.63) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Tue, Jan 1 2019 11:06 AM In reply to

• weird
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 1 2019
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

i have the same problerm

Fatal error 

"Audio consuer duration differs from video edit duration by -8.000 samples.

file:c\coresw\ame\smc\player\match.c, line: 6152"

Please help.

• Tue, Jan 1 2019 11:07 AM In reply to

• alexdetig
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 15 2014
    • Posts 32
    • Points 405

Several crashes on Mac.  

Maybe needs some fixing update soon...

• Tue, Jan 1 2019 2:00 PM In reply to

Roland Achini:

Fatal error in one of three projects (the most ur^gent project, should be livered soon):

"Audio consuer duration differs from bideo edit duration by -12.000 samples.

This has nothing to do with MC 2018.12. The error only happens in one particular project, but not in two other ones.

May I kindly ask the moderator to delete my corresponding postings.

MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe, ATX, Intel X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, Intel LGA1366, 6xDDR3 1600MHz, PCI-E V2.0, On-board Soundkarte. CP: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 2 2019 2:28 AM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 555

"New High Res Title Tool" ????? --- after near two years of announcments it is right now a toy in the early beta stage. Sad

Strange formating tools behaviour (ie. how to centre paragraph),
    very hard to use interface (i.e. creating and editing end credits rolls is nightmare right now... in Marquee is super easy and far more powerful),
    without grouping and aligning (how to move few separate lines of text at once to diffrent place?),
    without style apply/copy,
    poor and strange animation posibilities -- I can animate skew but not kerning... and how am I supposed to animate/change "hilite"?)
    What is worst: why I can't apply Sapphire or BCC effect on title in "apply to title/key" mode???... shame Avid, shame... please don't make me a betatester for my money...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12, 64GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 2 2019 7:45 AM In reply to

• Ramster92
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 11 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

I have to agree, the titler is rather disappointing right now:

Heavy lags (it can take up to a full second for a letter to appear after you type it), interaction with the text (selecting, moving, etc.) is very odd and hard to handle. Also, another thing I spotted this evening is that for interlaced projects it only generates one field!

The bright side is that it definitely has potential, so let's get fixing Avid, it could be fantastic by the next update!

And honestly, if you really take the care to make it happen and really nail all the features, there's no reason why this couldn't fully usurp Marquee in the near future.

• Wed, Jan 2 2019 10:58 AM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 555

"New High Res Title Tool" ????? ---unusable in interlace projects...Angry huge quality issue ... shame Avid, shame...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12, 64GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 2 2019 11:49 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,610
    • Points 60,240

TaT,

I'm not seeing this in 1080i59.54 projects. Can you create a new thread for each defect you find and a short summary of the steps to reproduce (including project settings and media info)?

Thx

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jan 2 2019 1:20 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I am seeing aliased edges in 4K projects (set the font size to something like 960). The short term fix is to set the softness of the face to 3 (may also have to do it for anything else that shows the jagged edges).

There are a number of unexpected limitations. First and foremost is that most of the parameters cannot be keyframed. For me, that's the biggest issue.

Next, stacking effects changes all of the parameters back to the defaults, and at least on my system, the titler stops working at that point (changing any title parameter has no effect at all). I added a flip-flop to the title, and it stopped working (the text remains, but that's it; the font went back to Arial, the size back to 120, etc.)

Third is I can't seem to apply the titler to a clip with a motion effect on it.

For simple titles it's easy enough to use. You can add fade-in/fade-out to the head and tail. But that's pretty much it at this point.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Jan 2 2019 2:17 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 555

I have't time to create thread for each "defect" because I wrote only a a small excerpt from huge list of "defects" and strange things I found until now...   project was 1080i50, media XAVC Intra 100 (HD1080i) 10bit, font plain Times New Roman, text looks terrible jagged... when I reproduce title in 1080p50 project, it looks better, thats all

... and time for another "improved feature" (rightclick on image then "show image" to see whole picture)

• Thu, Jan 3 2019 12:38 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,635

touviere7:
    i don't mean to rain on the parade, but i'm wondering what happened to the mask margin fonction, still there but not working for me...?

please, could anyone either confirm or deny?

mc 2018.12 with symphony - win 10 pro64 v.1803 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (411.63) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jan 3 2019 2:33 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Mask Margin still works for me in 2018.12:

From the Format dialog, enable Mask Margins and set to some choice (I used 2:1 for testing). Right-click in the Record monitor and chose Target Mask->Mix to White. The mask appears on the monitor. Export using the Source Browser and set the export option to Enable Mask. The result is a masked video.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jan 3 2019 2:46 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,635

thank you very much dave!

yes, on a new user setting, and i forgot to reassign the fonction in the record screen and full screen as well...Confused

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller